ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dustbin lids and semaphore turning signals

And now they're sold
Steve

My bus number (if any): RT3316

Thanks for the picture Steve. My RT did indeed reside at Enfield garage for a while, so who knows it may have had semaphores. Shame yours have gone so quick - I'll keep looking though. To me semaphore indicators are the feature that make a car - or bus seem vintage - and the RM more modern with its new fangled winking indicators!

As said my ancient VW Beetle has working factory semaphores, and not having the winkers has never caused me a problem driving it - mostly raising a smile from people. My bicycle which I use most days has a large bus size semaphore for moving out and right turns. Works very well too, and I get many favourable comments from drivers - never any 'get out of the way' horn blowing that most cyclists get. So the semaphore signal is not yet consigned to the dustbin.

John

My bus number (if any): Rattletrap RT

Steve Downing
And now they're sold
Steve

I'm sorry, but that's bad business. I member raises the issue of semaphores, as far as I can see a subject not discussed here before, and it is plain that he is searching for a pair.

Bingo, he is lucky enough through his effort on this forum to be offered a set. In less than two hours of the post, probably before he has even seen the message, another member swoops in and takes them.

The reason this annoys me enough to make this post,is that I had a similar experience over an RM elsewhere onthe web. This also undermines the integrity of the ROOF website.

I think there is more shame on the Vulture than the vendor.

Perhaps it would be fairer on this forum in future for the vendor with a known fixed selling price (rather than open to offers) to let the purchaser who has specifically requested the item have first refusal by private email before offering to all ?

My bus number (if any): RML2747

To be honest I was a little annoyed but decided not to show that in my last post. However, as time has passed and I have thought about it more, I have to say that the person who swooped in and took an item that I have made the effort to obtain (an item that they had otherwise probably not considered, and had not advertised for) should have the decency to have the item offered back to me for first refusal.

I am sorry to be blunt about this, but us bus enthusiasts with presumably the same goal; preserving RT and RM buses we should have our ethics, or is greed and self-centredness the order of the day. Fairness is important among members.

I wonder what the purchaser would say in a shop if that were to happen to him there?

John.

As far I know this website is open to anyone to view or post which is fine and saves a lot of faffing around with passwords and Chtis having to waste a lot of time administrating it etc and has worked fine for years - the only downside is that any opportunist happening upon it can take advantage of anything offered for sale who may have no interest in buses whatsoever, just to turn a quick profit ?

A response from the Vulture.

I was also after a set of semaphores for RF12, these were fitted from new to my bus, and I wished to reinstate them.

They were not bought for a quick profit but to complement my restoration project.

If Steve had sent a private email to John regarding the Semaphores, no problem, but the items were offered for sale on a public site, I saw Steve’s post and bought them.

Regards
Rob

My bus number (if any): RF12

Steve Downing
And now they're sold
Steve

My message was brief as I was in a rush and wanted to be prompt regarding the status of the items.

John, I hope that you understand that one of the reasons that I agreed to sell these to Rob was due to the fact that he needs a pair to complete his project. I know that Rob is a serious preservationist and vintage vehicle restorer and therefore knew that he was not spinning a tale and planning on making a quick buck. Further to that, a Rob has helped me in the past for no personal gain, which added to his cause at a time where I did not even know if you would have wanted them at the price offered.

I personally would settle for being usurped if another preservationist needed an item above my own non-essential desire and have had to cross that bridge already. I hope that you are not too disappointed and that you have some luck in your search.

Steve

My bus number (if any): RT3316

Glad that Rob was the vulture and that the semaphores will be actually fitted to a very worthy vehicle and not just kept in a cupboard or sold on ! - I have seen these occasionally turn up in the small ads in the backs of magazines and on EBay - I wouldn't have thought there was much demand for them now especially the larger 24 volt ones I will keep my eye out for a another pair - as you say Rob they were offered openly to anyone not privately.

Semaphore turning signals

I disagree with the response from Rob Duker.

It is clear that I started the thread, a thread clearly about Rattletrap's (my) desire to obtain semaphores for my RT bus. Steve made a post on my thread saying that he has a set for sale. The post is personal as Steve gives my name (John) at the start of his reply, and even gives method of collection for me.. This post made by Steve was not a general item for sale advert, else it would not have my name as it's salutation. His offer of a set for me was on my thread for less than two hours when Rob moved in on it. Had it had sat there unread for a week or so then it may be a little more excuseable as Steve may have needed to move the item on. Rob had not made a thread/post himself searching for such, and I very much doubt that he would have done, he just took advantage of my idea and effort to do so.

The only decent thing to do here is offer them back to the person (myself) who had used his initiative and made the effort to obtain semaphores for his own bus (not for somebody else's vehicle).

Rob, there really are no excuses, though I understand the situation the seller (Steve) was in feeling obliged, and he certainly should not have been placed in that position by you.

Please arrange the for semaphores to be made available to me, as you know they should be (and were).

John

Dustbin lids and semaphore signals

I am closing this thread now because the discussion has reached a natural conclusion with a range of differing views expressed. I thank all the contributors to this thread which started as a fascinating and informative discussion about the wheel trims and direction indicators fitted to early 1950s London buses.

There are risks in buying and selling on an open forum and indeed anywhere on the Internet. Occasionally this can lead to unhappiness and disappointment which is partly why I closed the ROOF Marketplace.

My bus number (if any): R