ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Quill drives

Hi Martin
Sorry for resurrecting this, but I have sent you an E mail re a quill drive requirement, can you look out for it as it's urgent!
Thanks

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Re: RMOOA

Mark,

As most people are aware they are available service exchange from Imperial Engineering however as a complete unit, they are quite expensive.

We have stripped and modified a quill drive assembly so have a shaft as a pattern however we are struggling to get the shaft made at a competitive price but we are working on it. In order to get them at a realistic price most companies want us to place a minimum order of 100. Our aim is to have these assemblies on a service exchange basis and try to get the price about 50% cheaper than Imperial Engineering charge. I will put my man under pressure now as Rob is coming next week to put me under pressure!!

Already as most people are probably aware we recondition accumulators which are only £120 each. There is no VAT on this price which is over 50% cheaper than Imperial would charge as the cost from them is £240 plus VAT. We are also looking into the possibility of having some of these manufactured however there may be no advantage to this as Hubble Hydraulics will remanufacture them at a reasonable cost anyway.

We're also looking into the possibility of having other bits remanufactured, which I'm sure Rob will keep people updated on.

Martin

My bus number (if any): RML2583 and RM1357

if anyone is in need of vinyl or varnish fix transfers for their routemaster or other london transport vehicles then we are able to supply them or see us at north weald rally in july or email for any information were always willing to help

My bus number (if any): RCL2238

Just wondering as I have no idea!

Were the sliding bulkhead windows an original feature on RM's and RML's when they first went into service? Is it something which was later removed to improve driver security?

Just interested in the history behind them...and do I need one?!

Many thanks,
Tom

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Sliding bulkhead windows were never fitted to RMs in LT passenger service. They are an innovation on preserved buses presumably to aid communication with the driver. Like RMs when used as learners, our buses have no glass in this window as it aids ventilation and allows access to the cab when the platform doors have been locked.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Not strictly true Brian. The open top sightseeing fleet-London Coaches I think- started the sliding bulkhead window idea. RMOOA simply used the original design from these buses, from the original manufacturer- Percy Lane Products- and made them widely available. Now due to price rises, they are supplied by Cheshire Vehicle Windows, a company I tracked down and did all the leg work for, on behalf of the then RMOOA sales officer.

My bus number (if any): RM531

Do these kingpin kits contain the adjusting shims? If not are there any plans to have some made? 'using the old one' does not necessarily work.
Also are there any 1st standard about anywhere please?

You usually have to take shims OUT for adjustment if the pins are worn. I have a load in stock if you need any.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks, Yes I would like some please I will catch up with you. Actually I meant for setting up a new pin assembly, by the time it comes to having to overhaul the pins and bushes there is usually only one shim left, which of course isn't enough.

To Roy the Bus ,
Can't help noticing you do a lot of RM servicing (!) . Just wondering if you could email your charges etc and if you could travel to Northampton if required ? m.allin@sky.com
Thanks
Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391 and UCOC 157

Re: RMOOA sliding bulkhead windows

Steve, you are 100% correct. It was myself that measured a sliding bulkhead window from a London Coaches RM in October 1995 and then asked Percy Lane, the original manufacturer, to produce the first batch for us.

Several batches were sourced from Percy Lane at this time, so anyone that has one of those from the early batches will have a unit that is identical, or as near makes no difference, to the London Coaches examples.

Later batches, as Steve states, were sourced from Cheshire Vehicle Windows and were different in a number of details.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Re: RMOOA ( King Pins)

Thuis might be a stupid question but as I don't know the answer..... RM 1585 had had a CT (MOT) and we have an advice that the king pins need changing (an advice is not a fail, it means that you have to do it in a specified time). We want to do this soon, but which size do we get?
The RMOA has two standards and I gather Graham Meadows can do other standards, but which do I go for? How do we determine the "standard" required given that we cannot just run them back if they are not right.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 and several RTs

Hello Brian,

Remove the kingpin top cap (not particularly easy), clean out the grease around the top of the pin and count the ring grooves machined into the top face of the pin. Zero standard pin; one stage two; two stage three. Also observe that the top face of the pin is flush (or very, very nearly so)with the top face of the stub axle.

If you fit a repair stage pin to a standard King post then the top face of the pin will be noticeably and incorrectly lower making the pin protrude excessively at the bottom, thus meaning it cannot be shimmed up properly for adjustment of the thrusts.

Of four RMs I have checked in the last 18 months which have worn bushes, all appear to have standard pins; which of course aren't the ones available.

The difference is in the tapered part of the pin - unless it is a Chiswick special - in which case you could find all sorts of strange things have been done.

Do NOT assume both sides will be the same. Chech.

Hi Brian,
Info found on the link to a web site, If you look on the top of the pin you can determine which size pin you need.
I think that Graham has pins but no bushes, RMOOA has complete sets for sale if you contact Mitch

Regards

Rob

http://cms02.website-start.de/app/243041018/920648015/#hm:cc-sa-window-close

My bus number (if any): RM997 Keeping the scrap yards clear of Routemasters

Thanks Rob, that is very useful as is the info on your site. From talking to an ex LT bus Mechanics, it appears that the garages never touched kingpins, they were only done at Chiswick when the boat was removed and sent in or on overhaul.

What is puzzling me is and this may appear daft, so please excuse the ignorance, if there is play in the pins now will it be the pin that has worn or the bush? If it is the actual pin that is worn, and if it is a "standard" ( or 2nd or 3rd) do I need to go "up one" or just replace like with like? The Engineering Bulletin Rob links to, talks about king post wear and the need to ream out to remove corrosion and use different standards, should this concern me or is that only if there is corrosion in the kingpost?

Last question, is any special tooling needed to remove and replace the parts necessary to remove on the boat to access the kingpins?

The link is not working. What is the name of the website please?

Both the pin and the bushes will be worn. Certainly bad practice among bonus chasing fitters is to just renew the pin and forget about the bushes. Other times it may be possible to change the bushes only if the pin appears OK. Neither is correct.

One needs to be clear whether the problem is rock, ie bush wear which would be 3/8" maximum at the edge of the tyre; or lift in the thrusts which would be 10 thou for an RM measured with a feeler gauge between the kingpost and the stub axle.

Normal tools only required to strip down and refit. However the inner wheel bearing is likely to be extremely tight on the stub and there is a tool for this. If careful, the bearing can remain in place, but must be kept clean. A decent two leg puller may be needed to release the side arm ball joint taper.

You will likely need new shims to set up the thrusts properly. These naturally aren't in the kit! The bonus-chasers just refit the old shims that came out and hope someone else gets the job of doing it properly some other time.

A kingpin job on any vehicle is not particularly popular because there is plenty of scope for aggravation, which is why so many corners are cut. Whatever anyone says, you should not need oxy acetylene. AEC pins are easier than a lot of other designs.

Here you go Roy

http://cms02.website-start.de/app/243041018/920648015/#hm:cc-sa-window-close

My bus number (if any): RLH 62

Not a popular job indeed. It usually requires a very big hammer to get the pins out unless you're lucky enough to have a king pin extractor tool.

It it sometimes possible to get rid of up and down movement by removing a couple of shims from the bottom plate.

I usually find it easier by removing the wheel, brake assembly and backplate for easier access to the top of the pin. When replacing the bushes, you'll need a couple of hand reamers and maybe one of those tools with the 3 rotating stones, ah yes, a hone. (memory fade moment).

I remember doing a bus one day, setting it up properly, then it failing the MoT an hour later because the pins had settled down on the short journey to Mitcham testing station!

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.

Thank you to both Roys for very helpful information. I'll try and find out on what basis the king pins have been "failed".

Yes, up-and-down or side-to-side!

There's a technical term for it which wouldn't be printable on a respectable forum like this..

My bus number (if any): RML2532 Keeping Europe's Routemasters on the road.