ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: York Rd Battersea

Can't find anything about Wandsworth bridge being closed or buses diverted, but i'd have thought they would have gone over Putney Bridge rather than Battersea Bridge if that had happened.

There were massive diversions in Putney when RMs were running on the 28 due to a water main burst or replacement at the junction of Putney Bridge road and Putney High street with some buses diverted over Wandsworth bridge, others Hammersmith bridge.

Only other possibility was you heard the RLST buses that were ex Northern General RMLs provided by Obsolete Fleet and Ted Brakell going up to Victoria.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Could this have been around the time that Battersea Bridge was shut after being rammed by a barge? I don't mean the 2005 ramming, there was definitely one in the very late 80's/early 90's which could have meant the 19 being diverted over Wandsworth Bridge. Anyone with a LOTS mag collection could probably help as I seem to remember the diversion/curtailment alteraions changing monthly.

Steve

My bus number (if any): Nil

That could make sense as both garages that supplied the 19`s had Leylands. Neither garage that worked the 28`s did. But it would need to be well before 1991 as Leyland RM`s had gone by then.

A quick internet search reveals this information on the matter of the 2005 Battersea Bridge jobby, the equivalent of taking a decker under a low bridge! No information online about any other bridge collision.
https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/2000361.Bridge_crash_barge_captain_cleared/

My bus number (if any): RML2532