Gogouyave.com's Forum

Views expressed on this website are those of the person or persons posting the message and does not reflect the views of Gogouyave.com

Rules Of this Talk Shop

1. Do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, obscene, vulgar, hateful, abusive, threatening, or an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise a violation of any laws.

2. Finally, the owners of this web site reserve the right to remove any messages posted, for legal reasons. 

So please! please! try to keep your posts clean. Webmaster

Forum: Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bursting the Thread Below, With an Intriguing Observation.

“…Maybe you, Selwyn or the good Peter St. Paul may be able to give us some account of their transitioning into the more dominant African culture by way of "injection" or otherwise…”

After you kall me all de names in the world and make me feel unwelcomed in de Gouyave Talkshop? Man you aint easy! But is okay. I could take me licks too ;-)

So actually, most Grenadians today can trace their roots to Africans introduced to Grenada as Indentured or “Liberated” Africans. The first thing the British administrators did with these Africans was to have them baptized in an Anglican Church. They had learned their lesson from those ‘ungrateful’ French and their loyal slaves in 1795 – 1797. Those Africans had an option of keeping an African name as their surname that was associated with their ethnic or national group. For example – Sane, to ID them as being a member of a Senegal ethnic group. Others and most adopted the surname of the estate owner or manger that they were assigned to. So today most Grenadians with surnames like Mitchell, Whiteman, Langdon, some Campbell’s, have Indentured or Liberated African ancestors.

I could go on and on with this but I will stop here for now. But this just shows how complex our little island culture is! We are not a Jack Sprat culture as some like to “make us out” today. Every island is unique BUT have some commonality that is often too highlighted. I have been looking into your surname after my other posts where you did everything to cuff me down :-) Interesting…. If this shop survive I will talk a little bit about what I find and talk more on this subject of “injection” of cultures in our nation. Wish me well ! ;-)