Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6
Author
Comment
New Roosevelt Principal's Call to Action !

"We are the Red Raiders" is the proclamation by the new Roosevelt School Principal.

Race based names and stereotypes in this day and age are insensitive and ignorant.
Great start for the 4th Roosevelt Principal in 6 years.

Re: New Roosevelt Principal's Call to Action !

Love it!!!!! I'm glad my kid goes there. Great to see some home town pride.

So now this wretched principal wants to give a Sig Heil to "tommyhawks" (Taymore's word) and all this stupid, backwards motto signifies. Pride indeed. They represent the shame that now defines this awful district, and increasingly awful city.

As proven by Melrose resident Ward Hamilton and reported in the Free Press the Red Raider name was adopted as a way to honor the World War 2 bomber Red Raider squadron. No where in the long history of the Red Raider nickname did a reference to Indians appear until a poor decision by the Melrose Free Press in the 1990's. The Free Press haled a contest to come up with a mascot for the Red Raider and a kid submitted an Indian. The trash called the Free Press failed to research the history properly. Political correctness and poor journalism should not erase 70 years of melrose History. The dream catcher has been dropped by the school system. The Red Raider nick name goes on as it was intended. End of story.

Aside from that, the bogus red raider angle was a smokescreen concocted by the administration and MEF lemmings to deflect attention away from the multiple Civil Rights violations perpetrated by a cadre of school administrators and their incompetent legal counselor against a defenseless minority student and his parents. Same with the alleged and completely overblown "kick a ginger" nonsense at the middleschool.

This is awesome!

GO RED RAIDERS!!

I still have my jersey from the 80's

If you don't like the name of our team BEAT IT! You shouldn't have moved here.

And NO you cannot park in the street overnight!
Real estate agent forget to tell you that? Too bad.

Go Red Raiders
This is awesome!

GO RED RAIDERS!!

Thanks for making our new residents feel so welcome.

It is what it is.

Go Red Raiders
This is awesome!

GO RED RAIDERS!!

Don't forget to add my son has a blue Raven shirt bought from the Roosevelt school. This is a confusing way to help elementary students. Then when its middle school or high school its red raiders and the color is red normal or not? That's how Melrose makes money by the off street parking and that is the worst. Roosevelt principal has no idea what she is talking about. The real estate forget to tell you a lot in this city. All the lawsuits against Melrose.

Red Raiders
"We are the Red Raiders" is the proclamation by the new Roosevelt School Principal.

Race based names and stereotypes in this day and age are insensitive and ignorant.

The Roosevelt school is the Ravens and the color is blue speaking from a mom that washers clothes. I never liked her anyway so what's the big deal? The shirt is the least of my worries. The fact that a secretary and a nurse get up and leave a job they love and worked hard for many years is a shame. Do not let that slip your mind what type of person you are working with. Look above that's from the horses mouth.

Red Raiders

The 4th principal in 6 years that should tell you the SC should be fired.

None of the administrators have any sense of what they're doing or are supposed to do. They are all first-timers in the jobs. No real experience, no perspective and zero humility.

Unqualified Principals, Super, Assistants
None of the administrators have any sense of what they're doing or are supposed to do. They are all first-timers in the jobs. No real experience, no perspective and zero humility.

You get what you paid for - a Superintendent with no prior experience in that job - so why would anyone expect her to hire anyone with experience to show her up? The school committee is made up of sycophants who have vested interests and none of them involve a concern for students!

Melrose Pride

Still love it that your child is at the Roosevelt? Home town pride to a liar that's what the word is Marybeth is not a honest principal but wants you to think she is. She hasn't changed at all. The only one she is fooling is herself and all the kiss asses in the Roosevelt school. Marybeth will do anything for a dozen of donuts from a father. He is allowed to do what ever he wants and parents are not liking this.

That has to be the funniest remark I have read in a long time. So the Roosevelt is NOT red its blue what is going on I always buy red to go with the city colors. I see most of the students with red on and that's what I thought. Who's colorful idea was that Marybeth, Cyndy, Dolan, the AD that just left. The Roosevelt principal has been on this Melrose messages writing remarks? She needs to go back to Haverhill with her friends.

Red Raiders

This superintendent needs to go.

We are coming to the recue soon just hang on CT and the rest should be leaving soon.

No one can compare to the Winthrop school principal. Did they get them out of a gumball machine? I know the HM school has so many of the staff out sick. Not a healthy working place at the Horrace Mann.

Don't worry I am working on getting rid of the super and the Roosevelt principal she is a piece of work you are correct. Melrose is better than this she is bring the Roosevelt family down. Employees need to work in a healthy environment for the students.

"Don't worry I am working on getting rid of the super"

Do tell. Many of us would appreciate knowing how this could be done, short of getting a ridiculously apathetic public to demand the resignation of CT and all of the SC, which should have been done a long time ago!

This string I notice was from 2014 so this principal is still lying! This is a problem who can trust this way of running a school.

Has the principal come out with the correct color yet? Can anyone let the site know if it is blue or red Melrose.

It better be the Red Raiders I have my old shirt when I was a kid in Melrose so hope this principal is a women of her word.

Melrose Pride

The last laugh is on you home town pride you got duped...

The principal at the Roosevelt encourages the staff to feed her the information about what staff are doing. She is a pathological lair and has no idea what she is doing. CT is lazy and can not be bother to interview for a principals position. Its great he is a nice guy, lives in Melrose, has children in the system, but no experience. More staff will be leaving after this year. I live in Melrose pay taxes and work in the system and its heart breaking to see what is happening to our schools.

Red Raiders

She is a pathological lair what is up PTO its written in black and white. Is it because you wanted her and the teachers want Mr. Brady? CT must of told her that its to be the Ravens and the color blue, and she is doing what the super wants.

This is true another teacher has left the Roosevelt. Some investigation should be looked into at this school. I don't want anything to happen were my child attends.

The government should get out of education 100%. It's a failed experiment. We would save over 1/2 of our taxes and families with children could use that money to start neighborhood schools and educate as they seem fit or send them to existing private schools.

Mel
The government should get out of education 100%. It's a failed experiment. We would save over 1/2 of our taxes and families with children could use that money to start neighborhood schools and educate as they seem fit or send them to existing private schools.

The first smart solution I've seen on this message board.

I talked to the health teacher that left the school he said it was so disorganized. The children were out of control and the place was so negative that it was not a environment he wanted to stay in. Another not satisfied teacher leaves the Roosevelt. More questions than answers I would say. Will it be a health teacher or a sub. till the end of the year. Melrose seems to be cutting back on so much I wonder what is going on!

This principal is still at the Roosevelt she is one of the worst ever. Sad to say its the principal that is making her staff so dissatisfied she will not put a vice principal in the school. She thinks she can do it all herself. The place is crumbling down. Instead of a vice principal she put a part time counselor to help with the problems and that's not working. I spoke to the Mayor and he is to talk to CT on this situation. The mayor went to this school hope he has a solution soon.

Dolan went to Horace Mann, not Roos.

The principal at the rosie has more conflicts of interest. She allows children in the school if the parents work in the rosie. One year she had so many parents and children in the same school. ALSO her friends she brought into the system they quietly run around and tell on everyone. This is a big conflict in the school. She is the one that lets this take place in her school and CT should not allow this type of behavior.

nope
Dolan went to Horace Mann, not Roos.

I went to school with Rob at the Roosevelt. Maybe his children go to the HM.

One of the SC said just fill the schools with students so it looks full even if they don't live in Melrose. I know they have school choice but this is out of control. The students that are coming in without any type of information to know if they live in Melrose of in another city. Hope CT is not doing favors for the surrounding cities to have the schools look full. I pay a lot of taxes to live here and I hope that's not what is going on.

This school hasn't found the right principal since Ms. Cleary left she knew what she was doing. It was a matter of time for her to move on and get a higher paid position and she did. This school has always been a tough school and it hasn't changed with Marybeth only got worse. She lets her handful get away with coming in when ever and leaving if they have to without deducting the hours. This is making staff resent her.

kids everywhere
One of the SC said just fill the schools with students so it looks full even if they don't live in Melrose. I know they have school choice but this is out of control. The students that are coming in without any type of information to know if they live in Melrose of in another city. Hope CT is not doing favors for the surrounding cities to have the schools look full. I pay a lot of taxes to live here and I hope that's not what is going on.

Oh please, this makes no sense at all. Which SC said this, and when and where? I believe the number of students admitted to Melrose Schools through school choice is determined in advance by grade and included in the school budget. Now, if you have something credible to bring forth, by all means do so.

Kari Cleary was awful, and that you didn't know this shows how little you really understand.

I work at the Lincoln and the students are increasing. The class numbers have increased maybe its school choice.

Everyone should be helping each other in a situation that is stressful. Employees need to stick together in times of difficulties. Change and work hard for the children in your school. Stop all the talk on what is bad turn this around. More and more employees come to me and say how rude people are here. This is not what we should be teaching and students pick up on this also.

Principal Cleary has to be one of the best employee the Roosevelt school has ever had. Her and Mitchell ran that school the best. Mitchell did some great hires with the staff learning inclusive and ABA. I worked with them years ago and it was great.

Principal Clery and Ms. Jones worked well together. The two kept the staff respecting each other.

Clery only cared about herself. She knew how to work the system which was great. Her position now is assistance superintendent in a very educated school system. Her employees loved to come to work and were hardly out sick.

Keri Clery was using the system for bigger and better things. Can you blame her she had everything going for her. That's what brought strength to the Roosevelt School.

I am making now the money I made seven years ago when Mitchell started a group of paras learning the process of ABA. It was interesting and the money was great. Anyone know where Ms. Mitchell went on to teaching?

I hate to say this, but I truly believe that the parents, teachers, and paras at the Roosevelt would not like any principal that was hired. Just watch, everyone will dislike the next one too, and the one after that.

Also, the kids at the Roosevelt are way out of control because there are so many of them. The teachers and paras have no real authority over them. You can threaten the kids to loose recess or some other thing. The kids will tell their parents and the teacher will get in trouble. So many student trouble makers there. Charter Schools won't take them, so we are stuck with them. They just need a kick in the butt, but no-one will give them one.

Roosevelt absolutely needs a man for principal. I have been in that school for many years and I loved Ms. McBride for principal, she had a way with people, children and staff. I am all for a man principal at the school. The hormones in that school is atrocious. I know under this principal we never lost as much staff as with her. We wanted the man for principal and the super went the other way on us. MBM staff in Haverhill were doing cartwheels when she left two years ago. Roosevelt always ends up with a female that will play the women and the women play the principal so bad. A man principal you couldn't play those games.

Another Voice
I hate to say this, but I truly believe that the parents, teachers, and paras at the Roosevelt would not like any principal that was hired. Just watch, everyone will dislike the next one too, and the one after that.

Also, the kids at the Roosevelt are way out of control because there are so many of them. The teachers and paras have no real authority over them. You can threaten the kids to loose recess or some other thing. The kids will tell their parents and the teacher will get in trouble. So many student trouble makers there. Charter Schools won't take them, so we are stuck with them. They just need a kick in the butt, but no-one will give them one.

MBM if the parents are involved in the school, or has given expensive items, brings food to MBM, or children who are smart, those children's parents will never get a phone call and no punishment at all. Is that being inclusive or fair?

staff
I am making now the money I made seven years ago when Mitchell started a group of paras learning the process of ABA. It was interesting and the money was great. Anyone know where Ms. Mitchell went on to teaching?

I am not sure but learned she went with Keri Cleary.

Red Raiders

What happened to the rosie posie needs to be put back together again. This reads like it could of been Principal Marybeths first fib. Couldn't put the rosie back together again. Fourth principal in six years maybe start moving some of the teachers to other schools. Marybeth brought a lot of conflict of interest to the Roosevelt.

1 2 3 4 5 6