Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
MPS: 2 Million-Dollar Oopsie
So the Melrose Public Schools admit that they somehow "overspent" TWO MILLION DOLLARS but were completely unaware that this had been happening. For those who couldn't understand those of us who voted against the Override, this is the perfect elucidation of why no...
Views: 146   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 2, 2022 8:47pm
by The Shadow
Is this the first time teacher's are going back to school with no contract???
I think schools are changing so I will put my child in the Charter School.
Views: 111   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 1, 2022 9:05am
by Administration d...
liz
The Mask Do Not Work If You Can "Blow" Out A Lite.
Most of the city are really not wearing masks anyway, and we are all doing fine.
Views: 140   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 22, 2020 7:11pm
by liz
Sam
Will the paraprofessionals still be working for the City of Melrose?
I think paras will not be needed this year.
Views: 178   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 3, 2020 2:57pm
by Sam
Noah Hano with seven tablets he later donated to local hospitals. –Maddy Allen
Many patients dying of COVID-19 never get to say goodbye. Related Links Live updates: The latest news on the coronavirus outbreak in New England An updating overview of coronavirus in Massachusetts How to find help and access resources if you’re impact...
Views: 151   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 14, 2020 10:28pm
by Hospitals
Trolls and Spammers Will Not Be Tolerated
During this time of global tragedy and great suffering there have been numerous shameful attempts to trash this message board. This is a mostly unmonitored board, privately sponsored, relying on an honor system of sorts. When offensive and otherwise unacceptable post...
Last Post: Apr 13, 2020 9:44am
by Melrose Cares Ad...
The absolute state of the public school system
In Europe school systems switched from the traditional format of in person schooling to 100% online schooling OVER THE WEEKEND after schools closed due to the pandemic and were up and running the following Monday. My daughter attends Bulgarian school on weekends and...
Views: 264   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 19, 2020 5:12pm
by Michael
Public Safety Shaft
The new Mayor is quoted in today’s Boston Globe about his priorities. Another F..K You to the Police and Fire Departments. Strike!
Views: 170   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 12, 2020 3:21pm
by Public Safety Sh...
Who we voting for Tuesday and why?Mayor primary
Who we voting for Tuesday and why?Mayor primary on September 17 2019.
Views: 148   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 15, 2019 11:28pm
by Mayor primary
In Light of the recent tragedies in Ohio and Texas
I would like to remember the time Melrose Middle gave a shout out to sandy hook mid Christmas concert. Very classy move by the band that year. https://youtu.be/fbX7pwUIUG8?t=3859 Enjoy, and pray for Gilroy.
Views: 165   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 7, 2019 11:40pm
by When I Say Sandy
Beware of the 60 ish Year Old Man, Medium Height, Who is seen moving Shaws grocery trolley
Hey guys, there is this old thin man in his 60's who probably lives on West Wyoming Avenue but is seen walking on Willow St, Corey St and W.Forester street pushing Shaw carts. He is a violent alcoholic. If you see him walk away. This man will scream at you, chase &...
Views: 233   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 30, 2019 10:57pm
by Safe Streets
Girls Hockey Team is not wanting to merge with Stoneham.
I like playing with Melrose girls only and not adding another city.
Views: 214   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 17, 2019 10:18am
by Girls and not Bo...
Rules, Etiquette
Proper usage of the English language would be an excellent baseline expectation. Unfortunately it is not realistic, especially in social media posting and in an age where even education officials often demonstrate poor command of grammar and acceptable punctuation. K...
Views: 197   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 12, 2019 1:10pm
by Melrose Cares Ad...
Time to decide
Left Twix or right Twix... I just can't decide....
Views: 136   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 1, 2019 10:14pm
by Almost
One Melrose pins in city hall
You really ask people when they go in how they vote? Where is the ethics committee?
Views: 156   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 1, 2019 9:58pm
by One Melrose
Improper Campaigning
You have two signs on public property please remove them. Thank you!
Views: 167   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 1, 2019 9:56pm
by One Melrose
So get out and make your vote matter. April 2 2019 .Vote ON APRIL 2 2019
So get out and make your vote matter. April 2 2019 .
Last Post: Apr 1, 2019 8:26pm
by April 2 2019 Tue...
If you won't let your husband see the kids then he should not give you money to feed them.
If you won't allow me to have interactions with them why would I logically give You money (I'd give money to them directly, too bad I cant). Either I see and care for them whilst also feeding and educating them or you do the same, but if I don't get involved then...
Views: 138   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 30, 2019 12:36pm
by The Truthsayer
Bogus Number
Thank you, Alderman Monica Medeiros. "Try as I might, I could not seem to match the “Visual Budget” figures to the actual budgets I had voted on. Days later, Kerriann Golden, our Assistant Auditor confirmed, “The last actual figures reflected are Fi...
Views: 169   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 18, 2019 6:34pm
by Incompetent City...
MMCG
So on the FB group MMCG residents are ranting and raving and insulting people about the POT shop and the roundabout! Why are there NO post allowed on anything pertaining to the override Hmm makes you wonder! Lets keep everything quiet.
Views: 228   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 6, 2019 2:11pm
by Wondering
McAndrew At It Again
We all know who she is. She was one of the leaders of Dolan's failed override attempt, and now is a SC member. We all remember that in campaigning for that override she made Pinnochio look like he was under the influence of truth serum. She's at it again. Here's a...
Views: 242   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 27, 2019 6:45pm
by Go Away
MMCG
Just curious why we can’t post or respond to any override posts on MMCG positive or negative but allowed to on the pot shop posts!
Views: 202   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 26, 2019 7:54am
by Curious
Scare tactics
I feel that One Melrose has been using similar scare tactics Donal Trump uses.. please let’s stick to facts and truths. Please stop dragging your kids around for votes and please stop buying this and that to gain an advantage. Not easy living in Melrose these d...
Views: 199   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 24, 2019 10:11am
by Donald Trump and...
MEF Mommies
Are the MEF Mommies being charged to use the MHS LC for their 'Real Talk' aka LIES on the MPS budget? Inquiring budgeted minded citizens want need to know.
Views: 234   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 18, 2019 9:54am
by Freebie?
Throw money at it and make it go away?
Money does not mean things will get better. Why is it when the last override failed.. the next year we had the most improved MCAS scores. Stop thinking money is the answer for everything..
Views: 189   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 16, 2019 1:29pm
by Money doesn’t ...
Flex block for middle school
The middle school should have flex block every day change my mind
Views: 202   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 7, 2019 8:47am
by Dat boi
Mr. Babineau
Mr. Babineau passed away. If you knew him or had him for math, you would appreciate what a wonderful person he was. I had him for math and he made a difference in my life. I encourage everyone to look around and thank the people who made a difference in your lif...
Views: 391   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 18, 2017 6:12pm
by Hester
NYU
Substitute Teacher Scheduling
How are the substitute teachers organized? My neighbor has been substitute teaching periodically. She received a call two weeks ago to sub on two certain days at two different schools and confirmed that she would be at those locations. When she went to the pri...
Views: 339   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 10, 2017 9:41am
by NYU
Helicopter Parents and Drinking
"How Helicopter Parents Cause Binge Drinking" by Caitlin Flanagan in September's The Atlantic is must reading. Just a sample: "Drinking isn 't like doing drugs - it's not something parents recoil from in horror. It's something they can make an accommodation for,...
Views: 391   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 15, 2016 11:12pm
by Arnold Koch
Last night's school committee meeting
Didn't get to watch last night. Did they vote to eliminate positions? If so, which ones. Is 5th grade going to MVMMS and 8th grade going to MHS? If so, does it start this year. Any other pertanent info?
Views: 347   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 27, 2016 9:31am
by Long time reside...
MFD
Boston Sunday Globe Article - March 13th
Did you read the article in today's Boston Globe - North Section - on CKK's resignation? Taymore was quoted and of course our illustrious, "I hear voices", Chairwoman, Margaret Driscoll, was also quoted - She said that she wanted to see "constructive dialogue" and we...
Views: 309   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 13, 2016 8:35am
by MFD
College Board recognizes Melrose Students
Nice article in the Free Press about MHS students ramping up their AP courses and test scores from 2013 through 2015. The College Board also recognized 8 outstanding teachers (out of 54 across the State)who have worked hard to help these students succeed. There are...
Views: 326   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 18, 2015 4:12pm
by AP Recognition
GOOD ADVICE FROM JOHN DOE
“ I know a lot of you are saying, ‘What can i do, I’m just a little punk. I don’t count.’ Well, you’re dead wrong. The little punks have always counted because, in the long run, the character of a country or town is the sum total...
Views: 234   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 31, 2015 12:23pm
by The Truthsayer
School Committee Votes
Surprise, Surprise. The School Comlmittee voted in favor of the override. That’s like thinking the Boston 2014 Committee would ever have voted against the Olympics. Fortunately, the Mayor of Boston and the Governor saw it was a house of cards and blew the whi...
Views: 252   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 19, 2015 12:01am
by The Critic
FB Page with interesting thread on schools
If you haven't seen the Melrose MA Community Group FB page it's worth taking a look at it. There is an interesting thread on it about the schools.
Views: 331   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 14, 2015 9:02am
by Damian
Wonderful Former Melrose Educator: Bob Bachelder, at 89; led dual lives in classroom, on bandstand
Not so long ago, fully credentialed and deeply qualified administrators and teachers defined our school system. It was an honor to work for him. This gentleman was at the top of the list, and may he rest in peace: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/obituaries/2015/0...
Views: 238   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 12, 2015 10:31am
by Melrosian
Boston Sports Clubs for Kids
Come be a part of our 40th Birthday celebration with us at Boston Sports Clubs Wellington for some active, healthy FUN! We have TONS of programming for kids of all ages! Current offerings include: • Swim lessons • Tuff Kids • Basketball...
Views: 260   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 26, 2014 4:53pm
by Kids Fall/Winter...
FreePress Sacco: Melrose Public Schools implement new safety policies
Coming to you live from the same folks who can't seem to manage phone or email. Great that somehow any attention was given to such an important thing. Not great that the same cast of characters who cannot seem to implement correctly and completely the simplest of sys...
Views: 417   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 26, 2014 8:18am
by well, yeah, but
MFD
School Committee gives Taymore \$40,000 for Pay Staff Pay Raises
Can you believe this! The school committee (only no vote was CK) voted to give Superintendent Taymore $40,000 to give her non-union senior staff. This was a blanket, no requirement, no justification, gift to her staff! Wow Melrose, you must be rolling in dough....how...
Views: 332   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 9, 2014 12:06pm
by MFD
MHS 2008 Grad getting it done for the U.S.
Ensign Ryan Webster, a 2008 MHS Grad and 2012 Graduate of the Coast Guard Academy is featured in this piece. He was a standout student and athlete at MHS and the CGA (Captain of the football team at both places) and is now getting it done for the U.S.A. http://www...
Views: 341   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2014 12:38pm
by Nice Work