Gogouyave.com's Forum

Views expressed on this website are those of the person or persons posting the message and does not reflect the views of Gogouyave.com

Rules Of this Talk Shop

1. Do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, obscene, vulgar, hateful, abusive, threatening, or an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise a violation of any laws.

2. Finally, the owners of this web site reserve the right to remove any messages posted, for legal reasons. 

So please! please! try to keep your posts clean. Webmaster

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The St Johns' Educator scholarship funding - is it time for pedagogical change?

I am aware that in order for one to obtain a scholarship, one must fulfil and display eligibility to meet the set criteria.

For example, are the local St John's scholarship funds only allocated to future St John's academic students who have obtained or 'hoard in their perfect catch' (my own conceptual term) of final examinations? Is it for learners who are unable to meet university funds required for overseas establishments, eg travel expenses? Is it only for those on the academic route or pathways, eg scientists, doctors, lawyers, chemist,dentistry etc.?

I am sure that one of the fundraisers, will take great delight in answering my questions, as they take the same delight,as educators, to answer their learners' questions?

So, is the scholarship fundraising also available for the enhancement of non academic pursuits at higher level, for example, the advancement of artistic potential, eg History of Art, Music. Studies at tertiary level are changing dramatically, whereas most parents are still mentally geared for their little darlings, to pursue, say medicine, or law and who can blame them, small developing communities, need more professionals from all pathways in this now diversifying and rapidly emerging global 'monoculturism' phenomena.

In the last few years, in European cities, we have seen a great rise in top quality chefs who have taken the 'supercooking stage', some with due respect,'without much of a hoard of the perfect catch' of qualifications. Are the fundraisers, for this highly committed cause, (and you are all much to be commended and honoured for all your time and efforts) explored and investigated avenues to ensure that all learners, non academic or academic route benefit from your funds. Even in some of the south west Pacific island, scholarship fundings have tapped into their 'cultural art' giving 'natural' talented artists the opportunity to study in neighbouring countries.

Another question, how for example, is the Gouyave fish fridays being used to 'tap' into helping this excellent cause? Do the St Johns' fundraising team have their own selling space? Is there a fund raising collection box in say the Nutmeg building in Gouyave for further tapping in on the generosity of overseas tourists be it visitors or for some of the ever so generous 'all for teaching and learning' returning Grenadian visitors? My pedagogical motto, is to grab every God given opportunity to pursue your very much acclaim fundraising cause.
So hence, my main post question, which of course, is food for discursive thought, are scholarships funding awarded to the correct learner or learners in the light of new pedagogical pathways?
Of course, I stand to be corrected on all areas of this post by the St Johns' fundraising team!

Re: The St Johns' Educator scholarship funding - is it time for pedagogical change?

Genevieve, your questions about the scholarship funds are very interesting. The fund is to assist children from the Primary schools who have passed the common entrance into the Secondary schools. The funds can only assist a few children based on how much was collected. Many parent or parents may have a smart child but cannot afford the necessary resources, Example Clothing, books, bus fare, meals. A few years ago MIchael Passee, Canice Modeste and a few other people were sponsors. Canice keeps on fighting. She sponsors different fund raising to help the children from St Johns. Through these funds there are many students who are going to school without their parent worrying. If you will like to donate you can send to Canice Modeste. Get email from Arthur Hosten.

Re: The St Johns' Educator scholarship funding - is it time for pedagogical change?

Genevieve S., the more I ponder your questions, the more I realize that they are thoughtful and legitimate ones. So here is a suggestion:-

Let Carnice continue to do her exemplary work for the St. John's Educators Scholarship. She is much too deep into it for her to stop now. Moreover too many students in Gouyave are currently depending on the scholarship she is funding to continue their schooling. Now using her as a model, pattern and start your own project after hers to sponsor those you are advocating for. Trust me, Ms. Carnice Alexis-Modeste will be more than gracious to offer you whatever guidance you may need as you try to execute your plans. In that way she'll continue to satisfy the need she saw that existed, and you'll be satisfying a need that you are trying to get going.
Why not try it, it just might work!