Gogouyave.com's Forum

Views expressed on this website are those of the person or persons posting the message and does not reflect the views of Gogouyave.com

Rules Of this Talk Shop

1. Do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, obscene, vulgar, hateful, abusive, threatening, or an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise a violation of any laws.

2. Finally, the owners of this web site reserve the right to remove any messages posted, for legal reasons. 

So please! please! try to keep your posts clean. Webmaster

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tony You should write a book about the people of Gouyave (For Sage)

Excerpts from a "Place Called Gouyave"

There can be no real appreciation or understanding of Gouyave that did not include the amazing characters that gave color to our town. We had them aplenty. There were the studious ones who became our beacons and led the way. And there were the funny outrageous ones whose quirks provided us with so much laughter.

>>>>>The fishing industry of course,provided Gouyave with many of it's most memorable characters. "Compere Jimbo" was probably the man at the top of the list. It was said that after an unusually large catch of jacks in the outlying village of Palmiste, Compere Jimbo hired a taxi to take him to Gouyave about a mile and a half away to pee. When he was asked why he could not have urinated in Palmiste, the lovable Compere Jimbo's classic response was "when you make the money, you have to spend it".

>>>>>>>Nearly all these people have long since died, but the joys and color they brought Gouyave have lived on when rehashing their lives to the new generations.

Re: Tony You should write a book about the people of Gouyave (For Sage)

Thank you so much, Miss P. And while we are at it, let me add one of the most salient passages from A PLACE CALLED GOUYAVE:

>>>"Absentee fatherhood” just did not seem to create some of the major problems that afflict so many American children in similar situations. In Gouyave there was little or no stigma attached to those situations. When Daddy and Mommy were not around, there was always Granny or Tanty (an aunt) to pick up the slack. Even more lovingly there was an entire neighborhood, and dare I say an entire town, too, that looked out for the welfare of all its children. I am yet to hear any of my contemporaries tell me that they felt unloved and uncared for because there was no father or mother around. Gouyave, indeed, lived out the meaning of the saying “it takes a whole village to raise a child.”<<<

Hey Sage, that's one of the many things that we should always be thankful of, for growing up in Gouyave. Think about it!

P.S:- After you've read the book, please let me know what you like about it and which part you like best. And, btw, others are also welcomed to express their views.