Gogouyave.com's Forum

Views expressed on this website are those of the person or persons posting the message and does not reflect the views of Gogouyave.com

Rules Of this Talk Shop

1. Do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, obscene, vulgar, hateful, abusive, threatening, or an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise a violation of any laws.

2. Finally, the owners of this web site reserve the right to remove any messages posted, for legal reasons. 

So please! please! try to keep your posts clean. Webmaster

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NAMES ON SOME WOODEN BUSES IN GRENADA HAD GOOD WORDS OF ADVICE IN THEM!!!

The names of the wooden buses in Grenada were a positive experience for everyone. There were wooden buses names like: Aruba Pride, Western Service, Loyalty, Easy Going, Sunlight, Honesty, Mt. Gramby Pride, Florida Pride, Clozier Transport, Comfort, Lago Pride, and Guyana Pride in St. John's, and beyond. There were other wooden buses in St, John's with names written on them. To be honest, I don't remember what the names on them were.

There were a few other wooden buses that'd no names written down on them. For example, in Maran, St. John's, was a wooden bus owned and operated by a Baptist Church leader called, "Leader Gabriel." His wooden bus had no name on it, so everyone referred to the wooden bus as." Leader Gabriel." There was another wooden bus that was owned and operated by Mr. Sydney Federick, aka, "Content." But I don't recall what the name on that bus was. (It could've been called,."Honesty").

Also, in Maran was another wooden bus called, "Labour Reward." It was owned by Mr. Raymond Williams, but was driven by Dudley.

Dudley was one of the most friendilest, and circumspect wooden bus drivers that existed in Gouyave.

Some of the wooden buses from St. John's were built from scratch by Mr. Beresford, from Dr. Bell, and the names on them were done by another man, who was proficient with the painting brushes in his hand.

The names that were on the wooden buses in Grenada, had some great advices, and much significance in them to their owners and to the general public as well. Many of those who'd owned a wooden bus had travelled to Cuba, or to The Netherland Antilles or Venezuela, or to Panama, or even to as close as Trinidad, when the booms of the 'Oil Industries' were/had kicked off the ground. After working in the oil fields in the various countries, some of the men returned to Grenada with enough money to put a wooden bus out on the road.

The roads at that time were narrow, with lots of precipitous corners on them. These roads had enough room on them for one vehicle at a time, to run up or down on them. But, still, the wooden buses, with their fancy and sometimes exotic names, were well accepted, by everyone who'd needed the use of them everyday or, albeit, once or twice a week.

There were no rules to conform to, by the riders on the wooden buses, except to show respect to the fellow passengers, and help maintain a clean and friendly environment on the bus, at all times.

There were absolutely no doubts in the names that were given to some of the wooden buses in Grenada. Some of the names derived from the names of some places, where the owners of the wooden buses owners have been to. This, I think was to remind them of the good and bad experiences they'd in the various countries where they have been, toiling day in and day out to achieve their objectives.

Like I'd said, some of the wooden buses names had some remarkable advices in them. Take for example, "Comfort." The owner of Comfort must've found a 'peace of mind' that was satisfying to him and his entire family circle, after long years of constant struggles to make ends meet - (My opinion!).

"Easy Going" was selected to advise people to take it easy, in spite of the hardships in life. (My opinion! ).

There must've been similar reasons for those wooden buses, that'd names with wonderful meanings to them. But the best wooden bus name was, "Study Your Head!"

Study Your Head was a fleet of wooden buses from Mt. Rose, in St. Patrick's. They were owned by a man, who was called by the nickname,."Muffman". Running from Satuers to Grenville, some Study Your Head travelled along the Mt. Rich through Hermitage areas, while some ran along the Morne fendue through the River Sallee route to get to Grenville. Muffman was an nice man in terms of allowing some school children from The Mt. Rose Secondary and Elementary Schools to ride on his buses for free. Or, he never refused what they'd to pay him for the ride to and from school.

The name, "Study Your Head" contained some of the most superior words ever written on a wooden bus in all of Grenada. It was an advice to both adults and children to use their talents and introspective wisely. Being straightforward, a man, woman, or child would've done well in life, if they'd paid attention to what study your head meant, in the general sense of it. It was truly an advice that costed hundreds of dollars, but was given to the public for free, by Muffman.

I took the words, "Study Your Head" as a strict warning, as if it'd came from my own mother, to protect my life!

The wooden bus names were helpful to some people in more ways than one. Some people were thankful for the trends they took in life, from the advices that came from the names of the wooden buses in Grenada..

There were no 'catch' in the wooden buses name, in regards to enticing a potential passenger to ride of a particular bus. Perhaps, the names on the wooden buses were just from the experiences of the owners