Gogouyave.com's Forum

Views expressed on this website are those of the person or persons posting the message and does not reflect the views of Gogouyave.com

Rules Of this Talk Shop

1. Do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, obscene, vulgar, hateful, abusive, threatening, or an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise a violation of any laws.

2. Finally, the owners of this web site reserve the right to remove any messages posted, for legal reasons. 

So please! please! try to keep your posts clean. Webmaster

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
That Place called Gouyave

They say you may yet find some good ones even amidst a basket full of spoiled mangoes.

And so it is with people too. Many of us, including myself, have used very scathing remarks regarding the treatment meted out to Black people by Whites. In Grenada we knew of White married men fathering the children of one or sometimes several Black concubines. There were unmarried White men too who not only did the same but also refused to play the part of a father to their mixed-colored children. As far as they were concerned the Black women were nothing more than their sexual toys. Too bad if a child But when a good White man steps up to the plate in those early days of Grenada, we should rightfully commend him for doing the right thing.

They lived in the pasture off Cornets Walk in the big house that was at the bend in the river, the area they called Edmond Gay. Whether he was a pure bred White man or not I do not know, but his features could have led you to believe that he was. His lady must have been a devastatingly beautiful Black woman when she was young, because even as an old lady her beauty and grace were still apparent for all to see. I can still remember Mr. Campbell sitting under the canopy of his house with his dear Miss Dee besides him while the children like Mr. Clarence Campbell and Miss Gladys Campbell and her son, Alvin, all living in that house with them and intermingling with other ordinary Gouyave folks. Now whether the couple were married or not I do not know, but the fact was that they lived like man and wife together with their children in that house off Cornets Walk. There was no question as to who the matriarch and patriarch of the family were. They were there for all to see.

Of course that was an unusual sight in Gouyave. Mr. Donald MacIntyre lived in that sprawling house perched atop Hillsview Road. Other than the major department store that he owned on Lower Depradine Street, the family remained isolated from the rest of Gouyave. Even the tree fences grew tall and thick enough to prevent prying eyes from seeing the tennis court behind the house and whatever else that was going on there.
Mr. Rex and his family lived in the house that the nuns now owned above St. Rose's Convent. There were no neighbors, period! I rode in his car a couple of times only because his driver who was my grand-uncle, Norbert DeCoteau, would stop, usually on the Careenage, to give me a ride to Tanteen while I was in the GBSS. I got to know his son, Bill, when I met him as a fellow GBSS student. Mr. Rex might have lived and passed on without any fanfare. But he shot and killed himself so Gouyave folks remembered that tragic occasion. The rest of the family moved to St. George's.

So yes, Mr. Campbell with his beloved Miss Dee did not isolate themselves like the MacIntyres and Renicks did from the Gouyave public. They did not hide behind tall thick fences. Instead they lived their lives like any other regular Gouyave family in open view for all to see. Neither were their children secluded from intermingling with other Gouyave children. Mr. Clarence Campbell was as regular a Gouyave man as any other Gouyave man. His sister Miss Gladys Campbell was no different. She owned the clothing store that was right besides MacIntyre's store. Her son, Alvin, became a star Gouyave football defense man.
A fitting compliment to the memory of Mr. Campbell would have been proud of is the wonderful book, BLOOD OF BELVIDERE, that his grandson, Dunbar Campbell, a proud Gouyave man wrote.

If we are going to be critical of White people in Grenada, and Gouyave in particular, we should in turn take our hats off to those like Mr. Campbell in the pasture who seemed to have understood that people are the same regardless of their color or economic status.

Re: That Place called Gouyave

VERY interested piece TONY I read right through--LIKE my grand Father JOHN WELSH RIP Who was born IN AUSTRIA,Travelled to Wales,Then to BARBADOS,then to GRENADA,Who fathered about 7 chidren,