Gogouyave.com's Forum

Views expressed on this website are those of the person or persons posting the message and does not reflect the views of Gogouyave.com

Rules Of this Talk Shop

1. Do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, obscene, vulgar, hateful, abusive, threatening, or an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise a violation of any laws.

2. Finally, the owners of this web site reserve the right to remove any messages posted, for legal reasons. 

So please! please! try to keep your posts clean. Webmaster

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The LOUISONS - part 2

This search is getting rather interesting… The LOUISONS are actually a bigger family than I thought. Looking at our archives they are everywhere. From the 1760s, the names Jean François LOUISON, Pierre LOUISON, Michel LOUISON, appears in the archives that I have looked at. They are MANY more left to go over and I am sure more names will show up. The way I like to do this is to collect as many names for a family that I can find, and later try to put the pieces together from all the available documents to form family groups. In part 1 I looked at the LOUISONS from the estate of Monsieur Martin from the department of Paroisse Du Maigrin (St David).

Some names disappeared from the archives and require research outside of Grenada. That is the case with Michel LOUISON --- in III -Number (25) List from French Islands of Blacks and Coloreds in Book of Registry in history of Trinidad. Other Grenadians are on that list like a member of the CLOZIER family we discussed. The interesting thing to keep in mind is that – even as Grenadians run for cover to escape British rule, the links between the families in Trinidad continued way into the 1800’s. My intention is to find ALL the connections to all these individuals from bits and pieces of documents that are available to me today. Every year the former Colonial powers will show a little respect for our culture and make available docs removed to France and Britain which are stored in archives they have no interest in. Hopefully one day they will be all made available for ordinary folks like me who can use the Internet to access them.

Another interesting LOUISON I think I am able to make connection to is the LOUISON I believe was mentioned in the Fedon narrative written by the Anglican minister Francis M’mahon whose life Fedon spared, named: “A Narrative of the insurrection in the Island of Grenada in the year 1795”. I discussed him in part 1. So I decided to see if I can find out more about this LOUISON who was so involved in the Fedon insurrection. In a Thesis submitted for a degree of PhD at the University of Warwick - The Tolerated, the Indulged and the Contented: Ethnic Alliances and Rivalries in Grenadian Plantation Society 1763-1800 by Donald Polson (his grandfather was a Kayak), on page 347 Appendix F., he has a list of Slaves Losses sustained at Waltham Plantation in quartier Par De Grand Pauvre (St Mark). The name LOUISON who was a driver is listed under “"hanged"”.

The Waltham Estate – Plantation, was purchased by the notorious Scotsman and British rule governor, Ninian Home in 1776 – with all the slaves and sugar making utilities from a fleeing Grenadian French Catholic. It was very profitable and enriched his family in Scotland who purchased estates and built lavish Scottish Mansions with the enormous profits. Source: Scotland, the Caribbean and the Atlantic World, 1750-1820. So it seems reasonable to assume that the LOUISON who was mentioned in Minister Francis M’mahon narrative on the Fedon insurrection, is no other that this LOUISON hanged here. It is documented that most men slaves who were involved in the Fedon Struggle and survived the slaughter, returned to their families on their former plantations. Jean Baptiste who was the cook on the plantation of Clozier D’Arcueil, and who was one of the executioners of Home and his companions, returned and was named by Minister Francis M’mahon and dragged to the Market square and hung. It is almost certain that both LOUISON and Jean Baptiste were family men. Now I need to find out what happened to their families. You can just imagine that this LOUISON must have known governor Home personally. It is no wander that Fedon had him amongst the guards who transported the governor and other prisoners from the camps. LOUISON was also a reliable messenger for Fedon and his officers.

LOUISON Births in Gouyave 1875 – 1897:
1875 - Benj and Misses Louison - Black Bay
1875 - Eliz Louison - Parlmont? Estate
1875 - Rose Louison - Bernard?
1875 - Prince and Rebeca Louison - Black Bay
1876 - Eliz Louison - Parlmount? Estate
1876 - Henrietta Louison - Bernard?
1878 - Anglia Louison - Grand Roy Estate
1878 - Prince and Margaret Louison - Black Bay Estate
1879 - Prince and Margaret Louison - Black Bay Estate
1897 - Darling?? Louison - Meriget?
1897 - David Louison - Charllote Town