Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "I'm a Nurse in New York. Teachers Should Do Their Job, Just Like I Did."

You’re very scary “mom”! But please, keep posting. You’re doing more to hurt tRump than you can imagine. Thanks!

Let’s put aside for a second that other essential workers such as health care workers and grocery store workers are at work. Waiting until their is a vaccine to go back to the classroom is not realistic . The problem here is teachers are relying upon parents to teach the students during the day when they should be In School . School is an essential facility. Home schooling in the spring consisted of one to two zoom meetings a week for 20 minutes and the rest was independent work guided by parents. The parents are doing all the teaching at least at the elementary level

Now contrast that with a lawyer working from home.
Someone working from home as say a lawyer, CPA , insurance adjuster or actuary is not relying upon another person to perform their work . That is the difference.

If teachers refuse to return to classroom than they should receive no pay. Watch how fast they will come back. If a teacher is in a documented high risk group or lives with someone as such then allow them to go on disability.

Mom is right teachers need to get back to work I’m sure they haven’t stopped going to beaches or out to dinner. Really Frank all of you are helping Trump get re-elected Thank you!! Trump 2020

I have a child in the third grade and I can not afford the paper and printer for the romote learning I am lucky I can pay my monthly payments. My child need school and this is our tax money.

"Mr. and Mrs.", I'll be polite and not say the obvious.

A Hero...

is a man who finds the

strength to persevere and

endure in spite of

overwhelming obstacles.

Thank You.

PS Donald Trump

Is the only hope America has.

Teachers union is slamming for police out of the schools because it's hurting the children. They want Medicare for all. I understand that parents are thinking ahead and going with backyard learning.

Did the cops and firefighters pull this crap? Did nurses and doctors pull this crap? Did grocery store workers pull this crap? Teaching requires face to face contact. If it was good enough for all those essential workers to wear a mask and keep social distance it ought to be good enough for teachers too. If they don't like it, they can quit. Be pulling this crap all they are doing is claiming they are not essential, which of course is even more crap.

Can't say I blame teachers themselves for having trepidations, but for a union that just about always says "it's about the children" when they want more money, the children don't seem to be much of an issue right now!
Also, those who are arguing for the police union to have less power over its members' discipline certainly must favor treating the teachers' union the same way, right? After all, the argument is that the police union has too much power to keep the "bad apples" around so it only makes sense to lessen all public unions' ability to do so.
I can't see any valid argument any other public union can make not to give up some disciplinary controls - correct?

They want it both ways, as usual. And it's not about kids. It's about money, as it almost always is. Cynical? Yup. I've been around the block a few too many times to believe otherwise. Cops, firefighters, grocery store workers, health care workers - they didn't get a choice. If you want to be considered essential, then you have to act like it and do your job instead of sitting around whining that you're scared. All those other occupations are scared as well but they go to work anyway because that's the job. If you don't want to do the job, then quit. Listening to them whining leaves a real sour taste.

Fact is teachers and schools aren’t essential. That’s why they close when it snows.

Exactly!

Most people would argue that schools ARE essential. The long term damage has the potential to be really profound in any number of ways, and remote learning in any form is not an acceptable solution long term.

They close schools when it snows for a number of reasons. Primarily it's for the safety of the students, and to a lesser degree the teachers. They also close to give unfettered access and extra time to DPW to clean up the grounds. They close because people can't get there safely. Comparing snow days and CoVid19 response is apples and oranges.

Comparing teachers and doctors is like apples and oranges

"Really?", You DO see that your discussion is centered on the word "safety", correct?

If you think coronavirus is bad...Biden/Harris ticket will kill America! Get out and vote Trump.

I am also a nurse. In Boston. . The comparison is not fair to the Teachers. I had co-workers die and 1/3 of my co-workers did get Covid. What happens when the teachers gets Covid? Can they fly in "travel Teachers?" No. That is what the hospitals did. We flew in travel nurses from the south before they got hit hard. The best option would be to construct the best remote curriculum and have the teachers go into the classroom each day to teach it remotely. The spring was an emergent thing and they did the best they could. No, it was not great but now they have the time to make it better. Let's support our educators and try helping them instead of attacking them. Some towns are forming small neighborhood groups with people they are already exposed to in order to get in the structure and socialization. Let's me kind and try to figure out how to help during this pandemic. No one was prepared for this.

The Mass Constitution requires the city provide a high quality public education. Like it or not, it’s a requirement under state law that the city provide it. If the union doesn’t like it or thinks that it helps THEM if all the kids are at home, I would ask the city (not the union) how that meets the city’s constitutional obligations considering the fact that it requires parents with multiple kids to have multiple devices going at the same time; quiet spaces for each child; and internet to support it.

Never mind the fact that it requires the parent to browbeat all kids into logging on and act as their IT dept.

The school committee in this city is gutless - particularly McA, JO, DeSelm and our lord and savior Paul Brodeur.

I'm just curious, because I'd like to know and don't have the time to research it, but would you please post how it defines "high quality public education", and if there are any mitigating measures mentioned for the potential death of those administering or receiving it?
Thanks so much!

Frank your argument is in person teaching is unsafe under all circumstances and the risk can’t be mitigated. The SC voted on a hybrid model that reduced numbers of students, provided PPE to teachers, upgraded HVAC, and reduced in person instruction hours.

If you won’t go back now, when will you go back?

On another topic, if the teachers are all remote why do we need so many of them?

So after all that (I'm not here to argue the issue with you), the definition is forthcoming?

Sure. Go read the McDuffy case.

But you didn't answer my questions, not surprisingly.

Thank you, I will check that out.
As for your second point, the eventual ad hominem that I sense was coming (and if I’m wrong, I apologize) would not have been worth it!
Enjoy your day!

Sorry to disappoint you but nice job and congratulations on the victory last night.

Keeping children out of school is a “victory” for no one, and I’m sorry that’s how you think I would characterize it. In my opinion it’s a wise decision FOR NOW, of course subject to review/change dependent upon changing conditions, as, I believe, is their plan.

Re: It is what it is.

Nobody:s forcing to read this string.Maybe time for you to go to bed to get a good night sleep.

Re: It is what it is.

Sign this petition calling on the school committee to reopen schools with in-person instruction to the greatest extent possible.

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-paul-brodeur-reopen-melrose-schools

Thanks, for the information not that it will change, because middle school and other schools have lots of health issue. I as a parent feel children should be going back to school very soon. I would hope no one is using the children for chaos and commotion to distract everyone. I have a thirty year mortgage to live in Melrose and my taxes are for the schools with the override passing. The city has teachers that barely cover what is needed to teach. I would like to see my children go back safe and soon. It has been since March 13th and my neighbor child went to summer school.

Not like cambridge they are sending K to 4th back to school.

"It's just absurd" Teacher slams new state rule that requires remote education from classrooms, not homes.
More arguments from teachers and union which is not needed. The left is trying to make school start late so the government will spike the numbers higher and another shut down. Do your job teachers.

Missing school is worse than virus for children. This is not right I pay taxes and all the supplies we had to buy who will pay for this extra expensive?

Re: The School NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

Lizbeth DeSelm

ADDRESS: 33A South Street
PHONE: 857-544-4923
E-MAIL: ldeselm@cityofmelrose.org

Mayor Paul Brodeur

ADDRESS:
PHONE: 781-979-4440
E-MAIL:pbrodeur@cityofmelrose.org

Margaret Raymond Driscoll
Margaret Raymond Driscoll, Vice Chair

ADDRESS: 49 Boston Rock Road