Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Over Ride MAILER
HELLO ALL. You will be receiving mailers for the YES vote on the override. I just got mine. Let me point out a few facts. If state funding is down why are the Alderman and Mayor not pushing our state rep to help instead they ask the Taxpayers of their communities to...
Views: 252   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 14, 2018 11:26pm
by Taste
Instructive and Provocative Attrition Rates for Melrose Public Schools
These facts are food for serious thought, or should be! Why are so many students leaving at the end of 8th grade? http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/attrition/default.aspx?orgcode=01780000&fycode=2018&orgtypecode=5& 16.6% of All Melrose students leave the district at...
Views: 358   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 13, 2018 9:20pm
by Informed residen...
School Median Salaries-Bureau of Labor Stats
I wanted to share this since the information in the override is so unclear. Below is the median average of what each position in the school makes. Pre-School Teacher 35,460 Kindergarden Teacher 67,640 Elementary School Teacher-71,380 Middle School Teacher 71,40...
Views: 786   Replies: 26
Last Post: Dec 11, 2018 6:47pm
by John
When I will vote on the override!
When the city has a meeting on Taymore and discuss her mismanagement of the schools and staff. When the city explains to me why all these lawsuits happened at the school, how much as tax payers and does this get factored into the huge amount for the override. W...
Views: 449   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 11, 2018 6:38pm
by Relevance
Stoneham Teacher Salaries
Kindergarten Teacher $67,640 Elementary School Teacher $71,380 Middle School Teacher $71,400 High School Teacher $73,090 PE Teacher $44,140 There is a snap shot of Stoneham a town similar to Melrose. Taymore likes to use schools that have ZERO similarities, ty...
Views: 354   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 9, 2018 5:53pm
by Citizen Due Dili...
New
Monica For the People
I am new to town and began getting involved with the town when the override came. I went and met the Mayor who to be honest had zero answers. people started saying vote yes it will make the schools better. Well of course I want that but I can't afford a huge overr...
Views: 439   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 6, 2018 5:26pm
by For the kids? Re...
Melrose SC Public Comment Policy in Violation
A Middlesex Superior Court judge ruled on November 28th 2018 that portions of the Natick School Committee’s public comment policy violate the state constitution. Judge Maynard Kirpalani said the policy violates free speech rights. "The defendants violated free...
Views: 264   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 4, 2018 11:13pm
by Free speech at S...
Morals
Dolan leaves and says the town is in great shape and the schools are blooming. Then we get a mayor appointed by Alderman not by the people. They say go ahead take some money. Repeated they say its simple lets have a vote. Our kids and schools are not simple, Ta...
Views: 321   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 2, 2018 8:00pm
by Melrose
MHS
Melrose High School Teacher Placed on Leave
The following is a press release from the Melrose Public Schools regarding a staff member at Melrose High School. Though I cannot comment on the situation, I feel that it is important for you to know how much I care about the students at Melrose High School. Thank...
Views: 1460   Replies: 23
Last Post: Nov 29, 2018 8:27pm
by Resident
Override...
Another over ride, another calling to all, speeches and venom and blah blah blah. Vote yes of you hate our schools and our future. Guess what I vote no. I can't afford this over ride plain and simple. Elderly, disabled, disabled veterans all on fixed incomes does...
Views: 575   Replies: 15
Last Post: Nov 27, 2018 10:20pm
by Vote NO
PODS waste of tax payers dollars? Now more?
How much did the PODS cost and was that not a solution for 5-10 years while a plan was developed? Now no plan? Such a massive amount of money asked for my a mayor who was never elected by the citizens of the town? Now we spent all the money on the PODS and then if...
Views: 318   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 23, 2018 10:45pm
by Upside down
School Administration
I hear about all these teachers leaving for this and that. I listen to complaints about salaries and increases. No offense but private sector we don't get what they get. Now we have a 6% increase in the override. Who gets something so large like 6%. That is insa...
Views: 322   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 19, 2018 10:58am
by Yup
Views: 2225   Replies: 43
Last Post: Nov 14, 2018 5:44pm
by shame
MVMMS students targeted, beaten
Why isn't information like this distributed to all MPS parents? We need to start addressing such issues with our children, in age appropriate language and age appropriate information given. Reminds me of the KICK A GINGER DAY at MVMMS a couple of years back under...
Views: 1826   Replies: 24
Last Post: Nov 6, 2018 11:17am
by again
Melrose: A Community Open to All" is just a sick PR slogan, at least or until this community decide
Melrose: A Community Open to All" is just a sick PR slogan, at least or until this community decides to fight back and make it real.The school's.
Views: 2456   Replies: 54
Last Post: Oct 30, 2018 8:08pm
by Melrose
Small-Town Insecurity and Arrogance
An article today: "‘Arrogance.’ ‘Small-Town Insecurity.’ Here's Why Harvard Hesitates to Accept Some Applicants" Small-town insecurity and arrogance explain so much of what is wrong in today's Melrose culture. In the rather desperate need t...
Views: 346   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 26, 2018 10:17am
by MPS salaries
Back Online in honor of Patricia Wright and Bob Snow, May they Rest in Peace
Let's have some civilized and intelligent dialogue in honor of two late citizens who really cared about our community!
Views: 356   Replies: 9
Last Post: Oct 22, 2018 7:35pm
by Geezer
Really Poor College Acceptanes
CT & MSC Making Melrose Great Again, apparently This year's graduating class had some of the worst college acceptance stats ever: 55 applied to Salem State and only 28 got in! 57 applied to UNH and only 27 got in! Wow.... This is appalling and should b...
Views: 1845   Replies: 50
Last Post: Jul 13, 2018 3:46pm
by Really
St. George
Why was the new Lincoln School Principal forced out of the Belmont Middle School Principal job to "seek other employment opportunities"? Most recently she was an "Interim". She has been a finalist for multiple jobs this year (lost recently in Framingham to MPS Wi...
Views: 668   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 9, 2018 9:14am
by Bottom of the Ba...
K space
Reading the Weekly and see that some schools are down 1or 2 in K classrooms. So why can’t they move 1 or 2 from the ECC Kindergarten and put them in the parents 1st choice ?
Views: 312   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 6, 2018 5:30pm
by Against Agenda
Melrose Needs a Cleansing Flush, Not an Override
Melrose needs a cleansing flush. No Override. No MZ or Sam H and most of the current officials, starting with the entire school committee NEED TO BE VOTED OUT. They have failed over and over again. They are as corrupt (and incompetent) as the departed but still...
Views: 314   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 6, 2018 10:59am
by Dillon
Water is it going up????
Obviously, meant appropriate use of retirees. One little secret Infurna and alderman have is approving Dolan's transfers of some of his city hall PR staff -- some of whom work PT for FT bennies -- to the Water and Sewer account. That way they pay for some salaries by...
Views: 743   Replies: 23
Last Post: Jul 5, 2018 10:33am
by bobby
Override
So 4 principals will be leaving the Melrose School system. Some of those have not been here long at all and you think that an override will fix this? All the money in the world won’t fix the atmosphere. For the past several years Melrose hasn’t had luck w...
Views: 659   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jul 3, 2018 3:32pm
by 2019
New Roosevelt Principal's Call to Action !
"We are the Red Raiders" is the proclamation by the new Roosevelt School Principal. Race based names and stereotypes in this day and age are insensitive and ignorant. Great start for the 4th Roosevelt Principal in 6 years.
Views: 22053   Replies: 282
Last Post: Jul 2, 2018 8:51pm
by Hot Sun
Gym/Health classes at the Roosey
Why is Mr. Goodwin leaving and being moved to the Hoover School?
Views: 571   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 30, 2018 5:50pm
by guess
Conway gone
On Thursday, June 21, 2018, 10:00 AM, MELROSE MIDDLE SCHOOL wrote: A message from MELROSE MIDDLE SCHOOL Hello MVMMS Families, I want to share some news with you. Tuesday night I was appointed the Assistant Superintendent for the Pentucket Regional Sc...
Views: 1432   Replies: 21
Last Post: Jun 30, 2018 12:49pm
by Curious
Conflict of interest
As the former Chair of the "Yes for Melrose" Committee, it seems prudent that Jen McAndrew be removed from her current position on the SC. This is a direct conflict of interest as the override is being pushed by the Mayor (also currently on the SC).
Views: 597   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 26, 2018 12:50pm
by Marion
Middle School Bullying
There's a heartbreaking story in the news about a 12 year old girl in NJ. Mallory and her parents begged school officials many times to discipline classmates bullying her. They didn't. They told them not to file a formal complaint. They said it would only cause her m...
Views: 339   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 20, 2018 11:46am
by Starts at home
Budget
There is chatter around about having another override. I personally would like this to be voted on when we have a Mayor in office that the residents have voted on. This cannot be hastily done. There needs to be a plan better than the last one. It will fail agai...
Views: 6036   Replies: 96
Last Post: Jun 19, 2018 8:33pm
by Willie
MTA
Middle School
Does anyone know why there were a group of teachers outside school this morning? Looked like some kind of protest. Wearing union T shirts
Views: 1127   Replies: 14
Last Post: Jun 19, 2018 8:58am
by BJ
'school day' requirements
Granted I'm old, but this whole thing with the Lowell schools being closed today has me confused. If they can not have school today, yet not have to 'make it up', then why were they going so "late in June" today anyway? Is the number of days required flexible?
Views: 356   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 18, 2018 8:38pm
by WTF
School Committee/Superintendent Ignorance
Special School Committee Budget Forum https://vimeo.com/262133768 Parent: Is there a formula for how much each special needs student brings into the district [from state/federal funding]? Superintendent Taymore: "There is a formula, but I don't know it off th...
Views: 805   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jun 14, 2018 11:43am
by Enough is enough
Lincoln principal leaving
It's confirmed - Jenny Corduck accepted a position in Lexington for the next school year. The next Lincoln principal will be the fifth in six years.
Views: 990   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 11, 2018 4:03pm
by $68,000
MHS Graduation
Unfortunately I will be unable to attend this years MHS graduation ceremony. I am requesting one of you folks please report back on the festivities. There are two things we can always depend on at the MHS graduation. (1) The annual angry METCO student speech....
Views: 815   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 4, 2018 6:24pm
by Claire
Breaking news. MPD release alleged child molester who then flees country
Exactly how long were officials going to wait before warning school students and parents about this disturbing incident on May 15th? http://melrose.wickedlocal.com/news/20180523/suspect-in-string-of-melrose-indecent-aampbs-of-underage-girls-flees-country-after-polic...
Views: 757   Replies: 17
Last Post: May 28, 2018 2:11pm
by oh brother is wr...
Kindergarten
So if there is no room this year for all Kindergartens to be in elementary schools how will we fit them there next year ? Also will the children housed at ECC have gym, library, music ? Do they have cafeteria at ECC ?
Views: 1292   Replies: 38
Last Post: May 16, 2018 4:38pm
by Listen good
School Overcrowding
This is what I don't understand: With so many families and children moving into Melrose, there is no room in the schools for these children. So, what do they do? Overcrowd the Lincoln and Roosevelt one year. Build extended classrooms at some of the schools the next y...
Views: 287   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 12, 2018 4:17pm
by #Be Best
mom
Needs to go.
She needs to go.
Views: 524   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 7, 2018 7:16pm
by being trolled
Social host law
I'm not sure where this thread belongs but I chose here since it involves high school kids. A few years ago the social host laws were a hot topic among these threads and in the newspapers. I know there was a Melrose High prom last evening, correct? Well it seems afte...
Views: 848   Replies: 17
Last Post: May 7, 2018 9:08am
by Geezer
Audit The Schools
A Foresnsic Audit is required for the MPS before any OVERRIDE is even discussed.
Views: 757   Replies: 20
Last Post: Apr 30, 2018 11:13pm
by Nope
Racial "disparities"
Someone posted on CG about how blacks and hispanics make up 9% of school population but 55% of suspensions. As per usual trying to stir the racial pot by making it seem that this happens because Melrose is racist and not because these children are the least likely to...
Views: 576   Replies: 12
Last Post: Apr 30, 2018 6:36pm
by Override Defeat
High School
March 14, 2018 the seniors will walk out of MHS for 17 minutes around ten o'clock. The protest is to enforce new gun laws. Power to all the students at MHS.:calendar:
Views: 2338   Replies: 55
Last Post: Apr 24, 2018 8:25pm
by DTKA
Bully Teacher Back At MVMMS
Ms. Ahern, the teacher Brow permitted to switch back and forth between science and math to avoid getting her masters degree is back teaching. This is an example of her bully tactics. She ran a shower for a teacher invited every para but one she told everyone she was...
Views: 1188   Replies: 20
Last Post: Apr 24, 2018 8:05pm
by request
CFO Lies and Annual School Budget Fear-Mongering
from MFPress: Chief Financial Officer and Auditor Patrick Dello Russo said the city’s educational budget had never really recovered from the global economic downturn of a decade ago, and the subsequent drop-off in state and federal funding. “We lost o...
Views: 495   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 22, 2018 9:04pm
by Melrose Resident
Major budget buster goes unchecked
Mass and Fed SPED law requires any eventual SPED referral have previous intervention strategies delineated by a "Child Study Team" CST or the like consisting of adm, classroom tchr and SPED personnel minimum. Once the student begins to fall behind, especially in K-3...
Views: 387   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 20, 2018 11:25am
by Bob Snow
Emotional Issues
This is a very serious question. What is causing such a dramatic increase in anxiety, depression and emotional meltdowns among students of all ages in our schools? Social and emotional development challenges and children who can't adjust to routines and structure wa...
Views: 625   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 4, 2018 2:22pm
by Standards-based ...
Childs grades
Hello all, My child is currently a sophomore at Melrose High and she is a very intelligent and well behaved student. Recently i was checking her Aspen and her GPA is only a 4.4. To be quite honest I am very concerned. She is taking 3 AP classes and honors pre calculu...
Views: 787   Replies: 17
Last Post: Mar 30, 2018 7:32pm
by Kevin
MHS
Pathetic New Program of Studies
http://melrosecityma.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=3185&Inline=True p.77 588 Engineering Design Level: CP 0.5 Credit Prerequisite: None Grades 9-12 Expectations: Everything that we use in our everyday lives, except maybe a tree,...
Views: 788   Replies: 16
Last Post: Mar 28, 2018 7:27pm
by Toilet training
Parkland - an excuse to push "kindness, empathy and inclusivity in school and in the community"
This is the kind of outrageous, gynocentric garbage that is being forced upon our children via the public school system. Schools should be focused on teaching math, science, and literature and NOT kindness, inclusivity, empathy, social and self awareness. This is n...
Views: 1037   Replies: 40
Last Post: Mar 23, 2018 3:22pm
by Nicole
NO RESPECT FOR TEACHERS-EVEN THEN
School-teaching is the most beggarly profession in the United States. No other calling that is presumed to require anything like the same amount of training and ability is so ill—paid. No other calling that is presumed to require a considerable mental...
Views: 437   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 15, 2018 8:22pm
by Phil
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10