Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Farrell now appointed to be Business Manager pending SC approval
A message from MELROSE PUBLIC SCHOOLS Dear High School and Eighth Grade Families, This is a very exciting time to be involved in the Melrose Public Schools community. It is a time of great things and great change. With that change came some anxiety after the de...
Views: 1591   Replies: 41
Last Post: Jun 19, 2016 9:21pm
by Connect the dots
Merrill to be named MHS Interim Principal
MF currently sitting in Business Manager's office working for Taymore instead of fulfilling her primary responsibilities to MHS. Meanwhile another unqualified administrator is slated to be moved into her former role. Chaos on top of chaos, and obviously none of them...
Views: 654   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 19, 2016 3:27pm
by Disgusted
MFD
Public Meeting Held on June 11th on School Space
You can view the video of this meeting at: https://vimeo.com/170310856. I encourage everyone to take the time to view the video of the meeting to learn more about this matter - we all have a stake in the outcome whether you have students in the system or not. Base...
Views: 747   Replies: 14
Last Post: Jun 15, 2016 8:23pm
by Obviously touche...
Public Inquiry into Classroom Space is BS!
I won’t be able to attend the meeting this Saturday so I wanted to send along my thoughts on the document detailing the classroom configurations. First, I’d like to say that I’m disappointed by the document and the format for the public inquiry. I...
Views: 802   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 11, 2016 4:54pm
by Linkage
Boston Public Radio
Jim and Margery focused on Melrose yesterday during the opening 20 minutes of their daily show on WGBH Radio 89.7 FM. Another proud moment for the MPS and Taymore. It made us look ridiculous and the poster child for a failing school system with incompetent leadersh...
Views: 381   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 11, 2016 10:35am
by Yikes!
Meeting Re School Changes
Melrose School Committee Public Inquiry Session May 31, 2016 has been rescheduled to Saturday, June 11, 2016 @ 9 AM. location to be determined. If you have a child in the Melrose public schools you should attend. I don't so you won't see me there but if I did, I...
Views: 1232   Replies: 28
Last Post: Jun 9, 2016 9:32pm
by Alert! Marching ...
Pay attention to the Real Issues and fight for the kids
The outrage over the lack of a valedictorian and elimination of class rank is just as misplaced as those frothing over the loss of the dreamcatcher logo. In both cases the superintendent and school committee totally mishandled matters, and they continue to tear the c...
Views: 487   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 8, 2016 9:22pm
by mhs
MFD
Agenda and Slide Deck for the June 11th School Space Discussion Just Posted
Just a quick note to say that they posted Taymore's presentation on the IQM2 Meeting Portal at: http://melrosecityma.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=2624&Inline=True Most people will not even be aware of it except those in the know - I went to the por...
Views: 313   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 8, 2016 11:08am
by Outraged by the ...
Go White Raiders
New names for local teams. White Raiders, not sure if the obvious is considered racist or not. For the football and basketball teams maybe White Raiders + Metco. Is that rasict? White Raiders and Friends maybe? Okay enough of race lets go modern PC. How abou...
Views: 792   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 7, 2016 9:56pm
by Reality
Bright Idea - Solving School Overcrowding
Been asking around how other school systems handle temporary or extended overcrowding - when this occurs suddenly in other school districts. Many of these districts found it financially and educationally reasonable to use temporary portable classrooms which can be re...
Views: 712   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 7, 2016 8:52am
by MFD
Senior Class acceptances
The great news for this years senior class at MHS continues. 4th student accepted to an Ivy League school last week. 2 Browns, a Harvard and now a Cornell. Several Nescac Schools, Scholarships at BU and Northeastern again this year...the graduation handout with the...
Views: 2791   Replies: 64
Last Post: Jun 6, 2016 4:18pm
by Agree
?
School committee
Does the transgender on the school committee still have his junk?
Views: 414   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 5, 2016 7:41pm
by MFD
SC Facist Control
At the "Space" Meeting of the MPS and SC next Saturday, the powers to be will take "Pre-Screened" questions. How utterly FACIST of them! Then they will "allow" other questions. WIll there be time? It is scheduled between 9-11. Why is there a time limit? Shut d...
Views: 262   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 4, 2016 7:32pm
by MFD
Melrose OCR Cases Used as Training - What Not to do!
Well Folks - we can thank Ms. Taymore and the School Committee for making Melrose Schools an example of what not to do when handling student civil rights issues. A local teacher attended some special SPED and Civil Rights training and they used the recent Melrose OCR...
Views: 428   Replies: 14
Last Post: Jun 3, 2016 8:16pm
by g
OCR Findings Document Jan 2016
If you think the Super, Mayor and School Committee did nothing wrong and haven't read the findings or if you don't get what the big deal is, please read the document at the following link. In it, there are findings of facts, with sources, about what was said and by w...
Views: 287   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 3, 2016 6:45pm
by Whakky
OCR x 2
http://melrose.wickedlocal.com/article/20150916/NEWS/150916783 http://melrose.wickedlocal.com/article/20150916/NEWS/150916791
Views: 1857   Replies: 39
Last Post: Jun 3, 2016 4:39pm
by Clown
Girls Lax playoffs!
Girls Lax playoffs tonight at 7pm at home. Go RED RAIDERS!!!
Views: 166   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 3, 2016 4:30pm
by Cp
Boys Tennis Playoffs
MHS Boys facing Danvers right now in the playoffs in the Melrose courts. Get down there and check it out. GO RED RAIDERS!!!
Views: 130   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 3, 2016 11:38am
by Boys Tennis Play...
Baseball playoffs!
MHS faces Burlington at Morelli field tonight at 6pm. Go RED RAIDERS!!!
Views: 148   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 3, 2016 11:37am
by Great Season
Softball playoffs
MHS girls qualified for playoffs. Facing Burlington in Burlington today at 4pm. Go RED RAIDERS!!!
Views: 125   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 3, 2016 11:36am
by Great Season
Boys Lax playoffs!
MHS Boy's Lax playoff game tonight at 5pm at home! Go RED RAIDERS!!!
Views: 139   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 3, 2016 11:34am
by Boys Lax playof...
Great week
Great week for Melrose...senior prom, graduation, kids going to great schools. It is great to be from Melrose.
Views: 272   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 3, 2016 12:23am
by Just Like Everyw...
Congratulations to a great group of kids
Looking forward to graduation where another stellar group of students will eave MHS to attend the top colleges and universities in the country. In a class of 230 students 30 kids will be attending schools ranked most selective or very selective by College Board. 1...
Views: 2171   Replies: 76
Last Post: Jun 2, 2016 7:20pm
by CP the anti-Cath...
Pre-Planned Tuition Increase
The School Committee voted to raise the ECC tuition by 8% at the meeting currently televised. It wasn't on the agenda that they would vote on that topic. It was the superintendent's update. If they knew in advance they were going to vote and didn't disclose it, that...
Views: 1929   Replies: 32
Last Post: Jun 1, 2016 9:45pm
by Busche
Overcrowding
Am I correct when I say I heard it's a definite that the 5th gradets will now be middle schoolers and 8th graders will now be high schoolers? Does anyone else not have a problem with this? I'm happy my children are already in HS. I think as a parent I would be upset...
Views: 661   Replies: 21
Last Post: May 26, 2016 10:34am
by MFD
FEATHERBRAINED
Melrose Free Press 4/7/16: 'The Melrose Public Schools have ditched the dreamcatcher as their official logo. Pending a larger discussion about Melrose High School’s Red Raiders mascot and its Native American associations, the logo for now is simply a red block...
Views: 1542   Replies: 44
Last Post: May 22, 2016 11:07am
by In the Pudding
What kind of school system Does Melrose want and One that works - the current version doesn't!
What kind of school system Does Melrose want and One that works - the current version doesn't!
Views: 431   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 20, 2016 10:46pm
by Old Story
Abysmal Felon
Teachers are not paid enough in Melrose or most places. BUT to be lectured by SC Member, Ed O'Connell that the money paid to MPS staff is "Abysmal and Embarrassing" is a joke. The fact that the disbarred attorney (convicted of stealing 1.5 million dollars) was ele...
Views: 411   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 20, 2016 10:21pm
by The Grim Reaper
Draft FY17 School Budget - Same Old Story
Well folks - we have the same old, tired, refrain from Superintendent Taymore: cut-backs to major programs, new fees to be enacted as well as increased fees, elimination of departments and consolidation of others, and of course, more professional development which me...
Views: 931   Replies: 25
Last Post: May 19, 2016 8:48pm
by Spoiled Little B...
Proposed Activity Fees Are Not Legal
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/not-free-after-all-public-school-fees-add-6C10851880 As suspected, it has been determined elsewhere (and should be here, also) that the School Committee's entire roster of fees, but especially their newly voted "activity fees" for m...
Views: 782   Replies: 18
Last Post: May 15, 2016 9:45pm
by Mom
299rh
Melrose teachers pay is 299th out of 314 school districts? Does anyone continue to wonder why the school system is in turmoil? All the great teachers are going to better paying districts. Those with the higher degrees, those who really care are not going to work for...
Views: 1253   Replies: 37
Last Post: May 14, 2016 7:02pm
by Sick and Tired
Searching for Data
As MM seems to be a center of private school parent congregation I am hoping a private school parent can help me with some questions. As a precursor, my family cannot afford $50,000+ for a preparatory school, or even the $20,000+ BC High and St. John's Prep now cost...
Views: 6027   Replies: 106
Last Post: May 14, 2016 3:08pm
by Jackie
Does the Rec Dept Always Announce College Acceptances?
Does the Rec Dept Always send out an Email announcing MHS college acceptances? I don't remember seeing this previously. I am going to get petty here but a city's rec dept is for the population of the entire city. Not just repping the public school students. Most rec...
Views: 557   Replies: 17
Last Post: May 14, 2016 12:08pm
by mhs
MPS vs Catholic Schools
I'm starting a new thread but this is a topic I see in many of the school threads. Bitter words between Melrose public school defenders and perceived private school parents. These private school parents are mainly counted as parochial school parents because these...
Views: 536   Replies: 13
Last Post: May 14, 2016 9:54am
by Smasher Blaster
SC Chair publicly attacks parents' only option for quality education in Melrose
The following was sent to The State House Ways and Means committee in support of legislation that would allow public school officials to meddle and tear down a proven educational option for children in Melrose and elsewhere. Honestly, doesn't this women understand s...
Views: 862   Replies: 30
Last Post: May 11, 2016 10:25pm
by Not Hmmmm
ANOTHER OVERRIDE ? WAKE UP MELROSE
Excerpts from the Atlantic Magazine's May issue cover story: "The secret shame of the middle class" by Neal Gabler: "Since 2013, the federal reserve board has conducted a survey to 'monitor the financial and economic status of American consumers.' The answer to one...
Views: 751   Replies: 19
Last Post: May 7, 2016 6:07pm
by PUBLIC SERVANT
SC Voted to Eliminate 3 Department Chair Positions & Raised Fees Outrageously (20% for Ed Stations!)
http://melrosecityma.iqm2.com/Citizens/Detail_Meeting.aspx?ID=2668 https://vimeo.com/164362232 Last night the School Committee voted to eliminate the hard-fought Arts Chair position, along with the Math Chair and presumably the History chair positions (consolidat...
Views: 1095   Replies: 27
Last Post: May 6, 2016 1:42pm
by Unclear
NY Times Interactive Map
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/04/29/upshot/money-race-and-success-how-your-school-district-compares.html?action=click&contentCollection=upshot®ion=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&smid=tw-upshotnyt&smtyp=cur&_...
Views: 379   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 2, 2016 10:54am
by Real Facts
Override Scheduled?
Did the Aldermen sanction to put an Override to voters? It will be predictable that the morally bankrupt Aldermen who take UNEARNED taxpayer monies will have to approve an Override. They owe Dolan for manipulating a legal loophole to pay their family health insuran...
Views: 986   Replies: 37
Last Post: May 1, 2016 12:10pm
by Need all the pie...
Charter School MVRCS
MVRCS looks like the only option if I want to buy a house in Melrose. I heard even Mayor Dolan is trying to pull strings-to transfer his son in. Telling
Views: 2019   Replies: 57
Last Post: Apr 29, 2016 1:44pm
by Interesting
MFD
What's Wrong with Our School Committee?
At Tuesday's school committee during the public session, school activist, Gerry Mroz again noted that our school handbook is in violation of state law in not allowing proper due process for students being considered for suspension or disciplinary action.The law has b...
Views: 300   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 28, 2016 8:53pm
by Mom
Last night's school committee meeting
Didn't get to watch last night. Did they vote to eliminate positions? If so, which ones. Is 5th grade going to MVMMS and 8th grade going to MHS? If so, does it start this year. Any other pertanent info?
Views: 348   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 27, 2016 9:31am
by Long time reside...
Teen Stress/Suicide
From, Taking Notes in Melrose MHS/MMS PTO Meeting: Stress Management for Teens Many parents came out this past snowy Monday night to learn more about helping their children and their children’s friends sort out and address responses to stress. The MHZ a...
Views: 1200   Replies: 41
Last Post: Apr 26, 2016 9:24pm
by Focus
$1 Million Dollar Budget Woe $
I see handwringing over "where is the one million dollars going to come from" to fund the school budget? Woe are us says the school committee. I am sincerely asking here, How can this be? Is there really a shortfall? How did costs increase by one million in...
Views: 1807   Replies: 37
Last Post: Apr 25, 2016 10:39am
by Conversations AS...
5th graders to MVMMS 8th graders to HS
The discussion of the elementary population explosion is going wild on FB and the usual mouth pieces for CT and the School Administration are out in full force with their usual support of any idea CT puts forth. The concept of 8th graders moving to the HS does not...
Views: 541   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 23, 2016 3:57pm
by mom
US News High School Rankings
Spent my lunch looking at US News report on High Schools. They're messed up. They ranked the top 75 in the state. They put Mystic Valley(#7),Arlington(#16), Framingham(#37), Malden(#49), Cambridge(#60), Revere(#63) and Medford(#70) all ahead of Melrose. Melrose didn'...
Views: 384   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 21, 2016 8:42am
by MFD
Real Issues Please, Enough with the Fluff
With all of the real problems facing Melrose (not just schools), the well-meaning community/parents who are in an uproar would do well to consider the post (below) from earlier this week. They are already demonstrating battle fatigue in their short-lived outrage, esp...
Views: 438   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 20, 2016 11:23am
by yes
April 12th School Committee Meeting - Secondary Student Handbook - State Violation?
At the April 12th school committee meeting, we saw on video why many members of our community believe our school superintendent and school committee do not care about community input to the point that it will not even acknowledge their mistakes – even though th...
Views: 749   Replies: 28
Last Post: Apr 18, 2016 6:50am
by Bruce
SchoolSpring MVMMS 2 Science Teachers
http://www.schoolspring.com/jobs/job.cfm?jid=2535404&status=20,30 Wondering if this is connected to some sort of deal worked out with the 2 middle school science/tech teachers each of whom were "investigated" (yeah, right!) after charges of "inappropriate" (as in...
Views: 284   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 16, 2016 11:51am
by Slash School $
Junket?
The AD, PR is retiring at the end of the academic year. Why is she out in San Diego at the "Safe Steps" conference with the SpEd Director and MAAV's Mooney? I'm assuming a grant is paying the travel, hotel and per diem costs. RM and PW-L SHOULD be sponsored. But i...
Views: 443   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 15, 2016 9:13am
by Disgusted
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14