Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Kingergarten Fiasco: Realtors Purposely Misrepresenting Melrose as Having Neighborhood Schools
Nicole Morse May 4 at 12:58pm Kindergarten placement letters are being delivered today! I basically attacked our mail man. smile emoticon Jill Demsey Does anyone know who we should speak to directly to revisit this practice? Is anyone going to the school c...
Views: 1314   Replies: 23
Last Post: Jun 2, 2015 8:42pm
by Update please
"Stress Management" ???
There hasn't been one quote, blog piece, article or update about the "Stress Management " Session held last month. The MEF and MHS PTO sponsored the event and promoted it in the media. I was unable to go because I work 3-11. I haven't heard one thing about what hap...
Views: 486   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 31, 2015 7:52pm
by DebbieD
State Rep. Fights School Gas Leaks
According to the Melrose Free Press ( 5/21/15),  Rep. Paul Brodeur has proposed two bills in the House of Representatives that would require carbon monoxide detectors "in all structures using fossil-burning equipment or has enclosed parking." The second bill wo...
Views: 215   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 31, 2015 12:49pm
by Pay to play
MFD
Special School Committee Meeting Tonight at 7PM
Heard that the SC is holding a special meeting tonight in the Aldermanic chamber to review the moves needed to accommodate the 5.3 million dollar Resource Area Construction to start soon. Evidently the lack of adequate input by stakeholders on the movement of program...
Views: 880   Replies: 33
Last Post: May 30, 2015 9:52pm
by Malden Experienc...
NO
OVERRIDE
Secrecy, mismanagement, manipulations and abuse of power equals "No Confidence" in the politicians of Melrose. Voting No on the OVERRIDE !
Views: 1453   Replies: 37
Last Post: May 30, 2015 9:15pm
by BIG BANG THEORY
New Low for Melrose
Martha Grover has sunk Melrose to a new low. She's always played the shrew but she used to badmouth and insult others to her friends and others who could stomach her.She goes to school committee and now the paper gushing nonsense about Driscoll and attacking Kour...
Views: 1032   Replies: 29
Last Post: May 14, 2015 8:32am
by Taunt a 2nd Time
Wonderful Former Melrose Educator: Bob Bachelder, at 89; led dual lives in classroom, on bandstand
Not so long ago, fully credentialed and deeply qualified administrators and teachers defined our school system. It was an honor to work for him. This gentleman was at the top of the list, and may he rest in peace: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/obituaries/2015/0...
Views: 174   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 12, 2015 10:31am
by Melrosian
mhs
List of Colleges of MHS Accepted Students
A message from MELROSE HIGH SCHOOL Today is a special day: We are announcing the list of colleges that have accepted Melrose High School seniors. This list is really something to be proud of: This year, as every year, our Melrose High students have been accepted i...
Views: 1720   Replies: 52
Last Post: May 11, 2015 6:32pm
by List
Only 10 Minutes on Agenda for Public Budget Hearing!
How can this School Committee look itself in the mirror??!!! Ten minutes allotted for the "Public Budget Hearing"! And Public Comment at 9:40 p.m. AFTER they've deliberated and voted on a number of things. It's outrageous and shows their true intent. 4/28/2015 7:0...
Views: 602   Replies: 17
Last Post: May 8, 2015 7:56pm
by Barbara Global
Mayor's Offfice Employee Publicly Attacks Residents in Violation of SC Rules
If you haven't already heard, a City employee who's salary is funded with your tax dollars, publicly slandered a sitting School Committee member/resident of Melrose who has worked tirelessly to expand public input and transparency within the ethically challenged sitt...
Views: 747   Replies: 36
Last Post: May 7, 2015 10:11pm
by Allan Tobin
Calling for Civility and Common Decency
In a town like Sudbury someone actually cares enough to point out "dismissive" behavior, or "interrupting" or "rude" or "hostile" behavior. Meanwhile in Melrose, a twice-elected official like Mrs. K, is routinely dismissed, interrupted (by the chair, by the mayor, by...
Views: 182   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 5, 2015 5:20pm
by Dismayed
School Committee votes against your voice being heard...again!!!
Once again, Carrie Kourkoumelis eloquently attempted to restore the people's right to be heard at School Committee meetings in Melrose on March 17th. What has been a disastrous couple of years for transparency, open and public deliberation, and civility for the sch...
Views: 1441   Replies: 55
Last Post: May 2, 2015 11:08pm
by Just Stop
SC Actually Admits Violating Open Meeting Laws
Couldn't believe what I heard. KT actually mouthed the words that the School Committee "regretted" violating the law (she paraphrased it to be some sort of mild euphemism, but still....). Jerry had them by the short hairs apparently or they would never have admitted...
Views: 1304   Replies: 33
Last Post: Apr 30, 2015 9:36am
by Resident
College Congrats
Looks like the Melrose school system is doing something right! As the college acceptances are rolling in I am hearing about acceptances and enrollments in Harvard, Yale, Annapolis, Amherst, Colby and Brown amongst others ! Nice testament to the school, the students...
Views: 943   Replies: 24
Last Post: Apr 22, 2015 9:19pm
by List
MHS below state average for AP scores
http://403vx628u78g1sx42w46scuxz4w.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2014/12/MHS-Five-Year-School-AP-Score-Summary2.pdf Right from the district "data dashboard": % of Total AP Students with Scores 3+ (passing scores) 2010 68.7 Melrose 72.8 Sta...
Views: 363   Replies: 13
Last Post: Apr 22, 2015 9:10pm
by What?????
$5,300,000.00
MELROSE — An important downtown business owner is telling Mayor Robert J. Dolan this week to forget dumping $5.3 million into Melrose High and instead concentrate on more parking spaces. Steven Trulli, co-owner of Whittemore Hardware, writes in a letter th...
Views: 4949   Replies: 116
Last Post: Apr 20, 2015 9:15am
by Let's Go For a ...
Kindergarten
So I was surprised by the influx of kindergarteners in the schools this year - looks like they will need 2 extra classes in the fall. Wonder why so many this year? Is it the free K incentive (I know other towns are charging 4k) is it the new developments near Oak Gro...
Views: 396   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 18, 2015 9:00am
by not exactly
Dress Code
This morning I saw hundreds of MHS students walking down Main Street towards the HS. I'm not sure where the procession started or the purpose of the walk. As I sat in stopped traffic along with other drivers to allow safe passage, the refrain in my head was "What a...
Views: 496   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 17, 2015 4:22pm
by Parent
Pending Office of Civil Rights Investigation
Say it isn't so. Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights finally looking into the institutionalized intimidation and retaliation against complainants here at Melrose Public Schools? Who knows more about this? Anyone?
Views: 620   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 17, 2015 1:01pm
by wrong place for ...
MFD
Chairwoman Thorp Fed Up with Openness – Kicks Kourkoumelis off Subcommittee Assignment
Did you hear during the January 6th school committee meeting that Chairman Thorp has not re-appointed Ms. Kourkoumelis as chair of the Facilities/Finance Committee? Ms. Kourkoumelis was commended by members for her accomplishments on the committee that evening and...
Views: 1230   Replies: 35
Last Post: Apr 16, 2015 7:16pm
by William Gorman
MHS
Beloved Teacher Eason is Honored with MHS Science Scholarship
By Jessica Sacco jsacco@wickedlocal.com April 08. 2015 1:33PM Beloved teacher Eason is honored A former Melrose High School teacher may be gone, but her memory will forever live on through the achievement of her students. The family of Susan Eason is fina...
Views: 265   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 16, 2015 4:27pm
by Parent
Beauty and the Beast
Hi everyone! Next week Melrose High School will be performing "Beauty and the Beast". There are over fifty student actors and crew members that have been working to make this show a stellar production. Performances will be April 10th (7pm), April 11th (1pm & 7pm), an...
Views: 251   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 16, 2015 4:19pm
by Amazed
Community service
Does anyone know of any place where a graduating senior can catch up on community service hours? Unfortunately this particular senior has let the community service requirement go down to the wire. I understand that the requirement needs to be completed by May 1 in...
Views: 621   Replies: 23
Last Post: Apr 16, 2015 10:43am
by Suggestion
Saugus students using Melrose addresses
Heard today that there is a new 11th grader at MHS using a Melrose family's address. They ran a poor girl of color out of town to Malden a couple of years ago. Have to be in the club and they turn the other way apparently like everything else in this city....
Views: 660   Replies: 10
Last Post: Oct 2, 2014 1:14pm
by Gross
Impressive Group
Congratulations to the newest inductees into the Melrose Chapter of the National Honor Society. An impressive group of Melrose High School students were inducted last evening. Great evening put together by the high school administration and the class officers did M...
Views: 967   Replies: 33
Last Post: Sep 29, 2014 11:59am
by love it
Boston Sports Clubs for Kids
Come be a part of our 40th Birthday celebration with us at Boston Sports Clubs Wellington for some active, healthy FUN! We have TONS of programming for kids of all ages! Current offerings include: • Swim lessons • Tuff Kids • Basketball...
Views: 189   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 26, 2014 4:53pm
by Kids Fall/Winter...
Mystic Valley Consistently Improves Students More than Melrose
I make my living performing statistical analyses. There are others who may be able to do what I do for a living, but there is at least one person making deliberately misleading comparisons between Mystic Valley and Melrose schools with the shameless intent of making...
Views: 1384   Replies: 52
Last Post: Sep 26, 2014 1:54pm
by STATMAN
FreePress Sacco: Melrose Public Schools implement new safety policies
Coming to you live from the same folks who can't seem to manage phone or email. Great that somehow any attention was given to such an important thing. Not great that the same cast of characters who cannot seem to implement correctly and completely the simplest of sys...
Views: 285   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 26, 2014 8:18am
by well, yeah, but
Superintendent thinks things are "Pretty Good"
In the nonstop effort to spin things, in last night's meeting she talked about the 85% 2013 rate of MHS students going to college (two- and four-year). How any of these people can look themselves in the mirror is beyond! I heard one member (of course you-know-who) ch...
Views: 1541   Replies: 38
Last Post: Sep 24, 2014 7:54am
by MMTV
MFD
What's Going on with Superintendent Cindy Taymore?
Not sure what is going with Superintendent Cindy Taymore and her unprofessional behavior and rant during last Tuesday’s school committee meeting. She displayed poor behavior in front of the cameras and before high school students present during the meeting. Thi...
Views: 3771   Replies: 65
Last Post: Sep 24, 2014 7:53am
by MMTV
from NPR: The Myth of the Superstar Superintendent
One of the best quotes from this article: "When you see a district that's doing really well with a visionary superintendent, it may also have a very proactive school board, a very involved community and a whole bunch of other things...." http://www.npr.org/blogs/e...
Views: 217   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 22, 2014 10:23pm
by Voting NO on The...
Melrose has higher percentage of students in Advanced and Proficient scores than Mystic Valley
Melrose again has a higher percentage of students in the Advanced & Proficient categories than the Mystic Valley Charter School. The MCAS measures districts in 20 different categories from grades 3 through 10 (including three “all grades” categories) and...
Views: 266   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 19, 2014 2:51pm
by STATMAN
89-degree rooms at MVMMS and MHS
It is unconscionable that nothing was done to remediate the working conditions for students and teachers the past two weeks. Plenty of portable air conditioners were brought in so that that administrators and their secretaries would be kept comfortable. Classrooms at...
Views: 3537   Replies: 104
Last Post: Sep 16, 2014 9:18pm
by Go away
MD
WLocal: Contract extended for superintendent of Melrose Public Schools
Here's what was in the Free Press. So they went ahead and gave CT a new contract and now a salary nearly $170,000. Joe Casey left the district two years ago making $149,000. So in two years, there has been a huge jump in all administrator salaries and compensation pa...
Views: 680   Replies: 9
Last Post: Sep 15, 2014 1:38pm
by the reporter
high school laptops
My son is in the 8th grade @ the Middle School. Is it true that the high school does not offer laptops/note books to their students. I am told that surrounding cities and towns(Wakefield, Lynnfield and others) have this available. Can anyone clarify? Thank you
Views: 655   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 13, 2014 6:18pm
by district needs c...
Exodus to Private Schools
45 boys and their families who graduated from MVMMS have chosen to attend private high schools. Interesting statistic. How will CT, Rob and SC spin that fact?
Views: 1144   Replies: 48
Last Post: Sep 3, 2014 8:17pm
by MFD
MFD
How to Reward our Best Teachers - Taymore Says - Ask the Union.
Did you see or hear the discussion concerning the results of the most recent teacher evaluations in our school district by school superintendent Taymore at last Tuesday's school committee meeting? She agreed that our best performing teachers should be rewarded (finan...
Views: 439   Replies: 11
Last Post: Sep 2, 2014 9:38pm
by Nerve
Globe re Roosevelt involuntary teacher transfer
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/regionals/north/2014/05/24/roosevelt-school-parents-protest-transfer-first-grade-teacher/YUSbwEbd3KiasdxTRU76xL/story.html More changes for Roosevelt Elementary By Kathy McCabe | Globe Staff May 25, 2014 A real-life game of...
Views: 1920   Replies: 20
Last Post: Aug 31, 2014 11:55am
by patricia wright
Scheduling disaster at MHS
Does it ever end? Thank you to the head of guidance and Special Ed at MHS for managing to screw up the schedules of the majority of MHS students AND teachers. These poor kids are on their own unless they have a parent that is paying attention. Parents of stud...
Views: 461   Replies: 7
Last Post: Aug 30, 2014 9:56pm
by Victim
Welcome Back
Congratulations to Acting Principal, Joyce Schlenger. She is the only Principal in the District who has a "Welcome Back" letter on the front of her school's web page. The letter was professional, warm and informative. Interesting to note all the new staff which sh...
Views: 692   Replies: 10
Last Post: Aug 28, 2014 9:50am
by and how many new...
MFD
MCAS Results are In - But Only Available to School Administrators
Was just informed that the spring MCAS results will be made available to the public by mid-September; however, our school principals and superintendent were given these results by the state in early August. This is school bureaucracy working at its worse! After all,...
Views: 480   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 27, 2014 5:51pm
by Comment
Wow
Superintendent Evaluation Video from MMTV
School Comm. July 22nd 2014 Part 1 on Vimeo http://vimeo.com/101472991
Views: 2482   Replies: 74
Last Post: Aug 24, 2014 5:22pm
by Voting No on The...
HATE CRIMES MSC
Here ye, here ye, April 29th @ 7:00 p.m., on the MSC Agenda under 8. EXECUTIVE SESSION 9:45 P.M., 3., To discuss a complaint brought against an educator. HYMMM, now I wonder what that could possibly be about. Do we dare hope the school system actually did an invesita...
Views: 8126   Replies: 104
Last Post: Aug 22, 2014 6:10pm
by No, actually....
O\'Connell
"Sitting In" article in today's Free Press by Ed O'Connell emphazises the need for "investors" to provide the "resources" for the schools. Really ? Theatre of The Absurd ! Free Press proves by printing this "Opinion Piece" that Rob (and his not so secret Ghost w...
Views: 478   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 21, 2014 9:39pm
by Wake Up
Educator Evaluation Performance Rating for Melrose
Here is the link to the Mass DOE educator performance evaluation for our teachers and staff in Melrose. http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/profiles/teacher.aspx?leftNavId=12505&&orgtypecode=5&orgcode=01780000&fycode=2013 Why aren't the school committee, and the pe...
Views: 343   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 14, 2014 5:31pm
by MFD
School Committee Says Superintendent Taymore Works 24/7
If you attended or watched the last school committee meeting on cable, you would have discovered that our school superintendent works 24 hours, 7 days a week! This is one courageous feat given that you seldom find her in Melrose after 4PM each day, except when having...
Views: 353   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 14, 2014 5:20pm
by Great Work BA
MFD
Ms Taymore - Having a Problem with Simple Math
Did anyone watch the school committee Tuesday evening when, during the public comment session, Gerry Mroz informed the committee that the school site councils continue to be a gathering of exclusive groups rather than promoting inclusiveness within the community. He...
Views: 321   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 14, 2014 12:05am
by MFD
JSacco: Melrose officials evaluate superintendent
Melrose officials evaluate superintendent By Jessica Sacco / jsacco@wickedlocal.com August 02. 2014 10:33PM Superintendent Cyndy Taymore was put under the microscope last week during her annual evaluation. School Committee members voiced their opinions, acc...
Views: 699   Replies: 23
Last Post: Aug 9, 2014 5:29pm
by MFD
HR
Open positions in the district
http://www.schoolspring.com/jobs/?employer=11073&status=20,30 Home > Postings Public Postings Date Job Title School/Site Jul 31 Special Education Paraprofessionals (5) -- Various -- Jul 31 School Psychologist Melrose Veterans Memorial Middle School Jul...
Views: 782   Replies: 11
Last Post: Aug 7, 2014 2:37pm
by parent
Melrose again has higher percentage of students with Advanced and Proficient scores than Mystic Vall
With all the discussion about the Mystic Valley I figured I would post the same comparison that I have posted that last few years. All of this data is directly from the MA DOE website at http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/ As I posted last year; there are 20 different...
Views: 875   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jul 28, 2014 4:21pm
by Huh?
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14