Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Cover up, youre still ugly
Not all are corrupt as in Mr. Merrill or Mr. Corrigan, but what does one have to do to receive a promotion above ones skill or educational level? Maybe we should ask that question. Could it be like deliberately leaving out pertinent information in ones notes in an in...
Views: 1200   Replies: 17
Last Post: Feb 20, 2017 4:12pm
by F-
Education Fund
Just received my excise tax and in big bold letters there is a voluntary fund area where you can check off a donation. I understand the scholarship and veterans donation but where is the Education Fund donation being applied. Is this for a "slush " type Fund or som...
Views: 130   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 20, 2017 11:01am
by Melrose Boondogg...
School Building Boondoggles and the Dummies who Keep Allowing This
Mayor is tossing some vote-getting goodies to the Horace Mann by committing at least $1.5 million in "renovations" for that school in this new bonding bundle (only the first $400,000 for the "design" work bonded so far--what a boondoggle for this patronage fake-bid "...
Views: 544   Replies: 9
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 10:56am
by The usual
Drilling Down through the Disregulated Bunk
Watching the hideous little noir play otherwise known as Melrose School Committee Meeting. Good grief. "Disregulated" "part-time 3-year-olds"..... Strategies, Rubrics, Drilling Down--for 3-year-olds! Between the moronic presentation and the even more moronic "ques...
Views: 905   Replies: 27
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 10:54am
by Superhero
DESE to conduct audit of MPS Civil Rights, SPED programs
http://melrose.wickedlocal.com/news/20161111/dese-to-conduct-coordinated-program-review-at-melrose-schools The Melrose schools mis-administrative team brought this one on themselves. CR violations against minorities and SPED students are well-known state-wide. W...
Views: 480   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 10:51am
by DESE
New technology employees
My understanding is, when positions open within the city they have to be posted within. I have heard that the new tech person "Neal" has hired directly from his previous area of Wilmington. What happened to posting the job within the district and then out to...
Views: 614   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 9:53am
by URL
Open Meeting Law Complaint - Again
Just found out that a Melrose resident has filed an Open Meeting Law complaint against our illustrious school committee. Here we go again! Why is it these people have trouble posting notices about meetings? I think that Driscoll has 2 degrees and of course our in...
Views: 1180   Replies: 40
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 9:47am
by Discusted
Gross School Committee Eval of Super Shows Why Melrose Charter Needs Restoration of Recall Provision
This is absolutely a disgrace. Overflowing with "exemplary" and nonsense. Ed: "The superintendent is overworked and under-supported." Really? Jaime: "The leadership award that she received at the conference of her peers is clear evidence of her prominence in th...
Views: 1046   Replies: 32
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 9:45am
by Discusted
HM
Renovations
I have just finished reading plans for the Horace Mann building updates. I understand that the school will not be part of the modular classrooms that will be added to other schools in the city. I am a former parent at HM and a teacher myself elsewhere and have a lo...
Views: 211   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 9:43am
by Fixer upper
Narcissism in Schools & City
http://thoughtcatalog.com/shahida-arabi/2016/06/20-diversion-tactics-highly-manipulative-narcissists-sociopaths-and-psychopaths-use-to-silence-you/ June 30, 2016 20 Diversion Tactics Highly Manipulative Narcissists, Sociopaths And Psychopaths Use To Silence You Sh...
Views: 404   Replies: 9
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 9:41am
by Not a factor
Vote for Pot - I need it!
Hey - man...nothing wrong with a few joints in the am and pm....don't be selfish and vote no on question #4 or is it #3 - can't remember since I am smoking a joint now! Please don't worry about the effects of smoking pot - there are only a few problems with it - and...
Views: 427   Replies: 16
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 9:39am
by Ireland
Drinking problem
Summer in Melrose is a absolute booze fest for the HS and yes, MS kids. The City organizes nothing for these kids to do or to be involved in so all they do is go out and drink. Even worse, the cops just break up the parties and don't call the parents, the school or...
Views: 3381   Replies: 59
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 9:02am
by rose colored gal...
Creepy Clowns
The bozo brigade is spreading its mental illness. Creepy clowns showing up all over the place. Melrose was ground zero. Be careful this weekend. It looks like MFD has shown up in multiple States.
Views: 454   Replies: 9
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 6:55am
by It
Another Raid
Weekly News - (writing about the modular classrooms) The city of Melrose will be providing funding for half of the cost of these modules. Superintendent Taymore says the rest of the funding will most likely come from the cities facilities account."
Views: 652   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 6:53am
by Funding
Scab thread?
Was the thread that was started about a corrupt union leader, incorrectly referred to as a scab, deleted? I can't find it. The thread gave some very interesting insight into MPS paras.
Views: 1198   Replies: 21
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 6:52am
by Still
Fix the Charter
Fix the blasted thing, and do it NOW. "Dolan said. "There's not much controversy in it. No one’s ever stopped me and said, 'I think we need to change the charter.'" Dolan acknowledged that one point of discussion could be his seat on the School Committee,...
Views: 271   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 6:49am
by Public
Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders published by the American Psychiatric Association lists 12 criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder: 1. Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance. 2. Expecting to be recognized as superior eve...
Views: 624   Replies: 12
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 6:46am
by MPD
SC Chair Driscoll abusing position again!
Once again, SC Chair Margaret Driscoll has improperly and rudely interrupted yet another citizen of Melrose during SC Public Comment period on November 15th for simply asking informed questions about school choice that Ms. Driscoll apparently deemed too controversial...
Views: 251   Replies: 9
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 6:44am
by Solution
SC Does Away with Remaining Vestiges of Separation of Powers
Tonight's SC meeting seals the deal for the mayor officially to control virtually the entire shooting match. The SC was tasked with considering the hiring of new SC legal counsel. They revealed that they had turned over the entire negotiations for this matter to Marg...
Views: 591   Replies: 13
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 6:42am
by Robbie
Driscoll Award
PR firm just brought another award. This time the School Super Org chose Margaret Driscoll ! Our taxpayer money is being well spent !
Views: 836   Replies: 20
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 6:40am
by Uncle David
School Budget
What are the actual legal costs taxpayers fund in the MPS budget? Why does MPS need their own attorney? The City's finances are so out of balance. The schools drain money needed for other priorities. The continuing mismanagement by incompetent school administrator...
Views: 369   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 6:38am
by Budget
Stuck with Driscoll as SC chair for another year.
Mayor Dolan was noticeably absent from the unanimous vote tonight by the school committee bozos to make the reigning queen of anti-transparency, anti-public participation and anti-ethics.... the chair of the school committee for another year! Lets watch the train w...
Views: 331   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 6:36am
by Rats
Irresponsible Budgeting: Only January and Already in Red on Many Line Items
Page 84, Meeting Packet, Jan. 10, 2017 M Farrell's Budget Report http://melrosecityma.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=2708&Inline=True Many items significantly over budget, including a whopping for Transportation Services -57,961.90, SPED tuition, Ad...
Views: 203   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 6:32am
by In the red
Administration Lies Again and is Caught Violating Federal Student Confidentiality Laws
Inside yesterday's front section of Free Press is an article that AL wrote about the administration's practice since 2012 of listing the initials of the special needs students next to the charges on the Warrants that the School Committee reviews for payment at their...
Views: 1758   Replies: 51
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 6:30am
by Violations
BC Reprimanded for Calling Teacher a B
Once again, instead of firing for Just Cause, CT has caused the district to be sued by refusing to fire a known abuser and instead promoted him to a bigger role, this time because BC called a teacher the B word. This is the administrator that Rob thinks would be an "...
Views: 1441   Replies: 29
Last Post: Feb 19, 2017 6:29am
by Walking papers
More Federal Violations
Once again, the Melrose School District and School Committee appear to be in violation of The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act(FERPA) as well as the State's Student Records Laws. For well over a year now, they have been publicly posting SPED students' ini...
Views: 1528   Replies: 30
Last Post: Feb 18, 2017 6:46pm
by Bugs Bunny
Show Me The $
The Override failed 2 to 1 The School Building Committe will now dump 2 modulars at Hoover and 2 modulars at Winthrop Horace Mann will now be renovated Show Me The $ ? Julie DeLillo will run against FW and win in a landslide The City will continue to ignore the...
Views: 1014   Replies: 37
Last Post: Feb 18, 2017 6:43pm
by $$$$
8th grade all boys meeting
I understand that all 8th grade boys were called down to the auditorium today. Apparently there was a conversation about inappropriate touching. Nothing has come out from the school explaining what was been happening. Apparently a few kids are walking around grabbi...
Views: 947   Replies: 21
Last Post: Feb 18, 2017 6:40pm
by Political??
HM
Renovations
I have just finished reading plans for the Horace Mann building updates. I understand that the school will not be part of the modular classrooms that will be added to other schools in the city. I am a former parent at HM and a teacher myself elsewhere and have a lo...
Views: 1161   Replies: 29
Last Post: Feb 18, 2017 6:18pm
by Resident
NYU
Paraprofessionals
Good Afternoon! What is the hourly rate that a paraprofessional is paid in Melrose?
Views: 319   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 18, 2017 5:51pm
by Idiot
Question 2
I just saw an ad on TV supporting Question 2. The gist of it was that anyone who says that expanding the number of charter schools will drain money away from local schools is a liar, and that Question 2 will actually increase funding for public schools. Of course...
Views: 4228   Replies: 170
Last Post: Feb 18, 2017 11:24am
by Pro Charter
NYU
Melrose Substitute Teachers
Happy New Year, What is the hourly rate for a Melrose substitute teacher? Many thanks for your responses!
Views: 715   Replies: 13
Last Post: Feb 18, 2017 11:07am
by Mass minimum
Grieving Session
Anyone know if it's true that the high school offered a a grieving session for Hillary supporters ?
Views: 371   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 18, 2017 10:06am
by Sad
Youth Risk Behavior Study
It's no surprise that the presentation provided to the SC on the Youth Risk Behavior Study listed in the October 18th SC meeting packet offers no real solutions for the drug and alcohol problems in the MPS. One glaring point is that 2.1% of students responded that t...
Views: 544   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 18, 2017 9:14am
by False studies
Middle School
Any parents of students in the middle school ask themselves this August when the email came out about all the teachers leaving? Has anyone else noticed that good teachers are leaving in droves? Since Conway has been in charge we have lost the school nurse and mul...
Views: 179   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 17, 2017 2:01pm
by Mighty Mouse
Sen. Warren got Thorped/Driscolled
The shameful conduct of the Republicans has spiraled into new lows. McConnell pulled a trick that Melrosians have now long observed locally from the unethical conduct of SC members so desperate to seal off the truth along with any kind of real public dialogue that an...
Views: 245   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 16, 2017 7:57am
by Disgusting!
Jason Merrill Finalized as MHS Principal
Jason Merrill has done a great job heading the MHS ship and I am happy to hear that Superintendent Taymore has finalized his appointment as the new MHS principal. He is open to students and parents and takes the time to listen to both groups. This is a true win for...
Views: 1541   Replies: 49
Last Post: Feb 16, 2017 5:50am
by Good guy
Safety first
Just came in from shoveling. Heavy, wet snow. It's gonna rain and be a sheet of ice. Even if it doesn't snow after the rain the ice, branches and unshovelled sidewalks make it a hazard. The surrounding cities and towns have called it. What the hell is wrong with the...
Views: 229   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 12, 2017 6:34pm
by Suck
What a donkey
Watched the MMTV show the other night with the AAU coach from Stoneham. What a grade 1 donkey!!!!! Such a poser! No true experience with he exception of overcharging clients. Poorly run organization who sells parets on unrealistic dreams of going to the "next level....
Views: 476   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 21, 2016 11:40am
by Buro
45 mins for a lock down.
Safety is the number one issue in every school. Why did Melrose decide to just lock down 2 schools?
Views: 766   Replies: 20
Last Post: Sep 20, 2016 8:10pm
by Duh
Sad
Pussification
It's a sad day in America when a punk little 11-13 year old kid writes something stupid on a bathroom wall and the police get called. Why? Why do we continue to call attention to this ridiculous behavior? Why not just wash it off? There are much worse things going on...
Views: 518   Replies: 11
Last Post: Sep 20, 2016 2:15pm
by MEW
Oriental Trading garbage purchased once again by taxpayers for MSC
Page 33 http://melrosecityma.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=2658&Inline=True 657750 ORIENTAL TRADING COMPA 00000 86864 INV 09/13/2016 678819130-01 172394 290645 11197000 57600 1110 ADMIN EXP SCH CM 239.87 Invoice Net 239.87 CHECK TOT...
Views: 318   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 13, 2016 8:12am
by LOL
It's educational
Wap bap ba loo ba ba lap bam boom...... Rock n roll!!!! Keeping it 💯 Melrose [:))][:)s][:D]
Views: 261   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 10, 2016 8:25am
by Thornton - Less
Dress Code For Gym Class?
Someone help me here. My kid told me that the middle school gym teachers now require all students to arrive to class this year in either red, white, grey or black sneakers, shirts, shorts and sweatpants or they will lose points on their final grade. I find this har...
Views: 699   Replies: 13
Last Post: Sep 9, 2016 1:54pm
by pucker her up
Question 2- charter school funding
I am sorry but I think the entire premise around a charter school is ridiculous. It is completely unfair that they get my tax dollars to fund education my children can not attend. I am sorry but a lottery is ridiculous. The funding needs to go into public schools in...
Views: 1034   Replies: 21
Last Post: Sep 8, 2016 7:05pm
by another one
Best High Schools ranking of Melrose High School
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/best-schools-boston-2016-chart-public-high-schools/ For a town with an increasingly wealthy and educated demographic, Melrose High School ranks beneath virtually all our neighboring high schools with similar a similar population. Belo...
Views: 1848   Replies: 52
Last Post: Sep 7, 2016 8:59am
by Wake Up Melrose
No to the Override which translates to Yes for our Community: Important links
Here are the most essential links that explain why my family will be voting No to the Override which translates to Yes for our Community! Melrose used to be a place we were proud of. Let's make it so again! https://vimeo.com/138697244 September 8 School Committ...
Views: 1949   Replies: 50
Last Post: Aug 31, 2016 12:19pm
by Comprehensive Li...
‘They Have To Go’: The Environmental And Health Costs Of Portable Classrooms Kim Drury and Rober
Teacher Billie Lane’s portable is a world apart from other classrooms at her school. She’s filled the space with toys from across the universe: Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel, Transformers and Godzilla. Lane’s World, her students named it — a...
Views: 4939   Replies: 95
Last Post: Aug 29, 2016 8:55pm
by Back to School o...
Superintendent Taymore's Performance Evaluation by School Committee
You can read the school committee's PE of Taymore at the following link - beginning on page 95: http://melrosecityma.iqm2.com/citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=2655&Inline=True Amazing how many of them totally ignored the terrible OCR findings and decisions which...
Views: 439   Replies: 14
Last Post: Aug 29, 2016 9:27am
by Lost Cause
how do I get a teacher complaint in the teacher's file?
Can someone tell me where to find a written policy regarding the process of including a teacher complaint in the teacher's personnel file? It was my understanding that if I asked that my written communication be placed in a teacher's file that should happen, but I...
Views: 864   Replies: 10
Last Post: Aug 25, 2016 12:20pm
by Good start
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12