Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
MPS Teachers Not Actually Being Paid Less than Comparable Communities
Thanks to Melrose Taxpayers Alliance for setting the record straight! Shame on MelroseOne for their gaslighting scare tactics! Are Our Teachers Really Paid Less: Letter Comparison of Teacher Pay By Melrose Taxpayers Alliance, Patch Poster | Feb 14, 2019 We k...
Views: 515   Replies: 8
Last Post: Feb 23, 2019 9:07pm
by TL;DR
MEF Mommies
Are the MEF Mommies being charged to use the MHS LC for their 'Real Talk' aka LIES on the MPS budget? Inquiring budgeted minded citizens want need to know.
Views: 236   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 18, 2019 9:54am
by Freebie?
The Melrose Taxpayers'
You can learn more in the coming weeks. The Melrose Taxpayers' Alliance will be educating you with accurate, factual information to help you make the right choice in the April 2nd election. This is an important vote, so be sure and make your decision based on facts,...
Views: 466   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 17, 2019 10:34pm
by Hopefully
City Owes Residents Details Behind Dire Budget Projections; Trust but verify shouldn't be so hard
from Patch: City Owes Residents Details Behind Dire Budget Projections Trust but verify shouldn't be so hard By Jim Atkinson, Patch Poster | Jan 16, 2019 1:08 pm ET | Updated Jan 16, 2019 4:11 pm ET Last week during the school committee meeting, the superintende...
Views: 213   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 17, 2019 10:23pm
by Natural
Throw money at it and make it go away?
Money does not mean things will get better. Why is it when the last override failed.. the next year we had the most improved MCAS scores. Stop thinking money is the answer for everything..
Views: 190   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 16, 2019 1:29pm
by Money doesn’t ...
Allison Donovan
The news media identified former Lincoln Principal, Allison Donovan as the victim of the hit and run in Somerville days ago. Why hasn’t there been a posting of condolences on either the City of Melrose or the Melrose Public School pages? Disprespectful and Ins...
Views: 501   Replies: 9
Last Post: Feb 15, 2019 4:42pm
by Dolan!
Flex block for middle school
The middle school should have flex block every day change my mind
Views: 203   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 7, 2019 8:47am
by Dat boi
Wrestling Coach
What happened to the wrasslin coach? Did he get a better job? Didn't they just win the states a year ago? Fill me in. Is he still working at the HS?
Views: 1182   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 7, 2019 8:49am
by Fhbfidnebr
Public Safety versus Schools
Self described “3rd Generation Melrosian” and One Melrose, Leader Mark Garipay states that the Override is not a “campaign of the schools against public Safety”. If this were true, school funding needs would have been part of a package which i...
Views: 536   Replies: 16
Last Post: Feb 2, 2019 9:42pm
by BOMBED WITH LIVE...
Survey
There is a survey on OneMelrose Facebook page asking how you will vote.
Views: 346   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 31, 2019 9:23pm
by Concerned Commun...
Third Generation Melrosian Supports the Override
From Patch: Third Generation Melrosian Supports the Override “Let’s work together as a community to continue the path laid by the generation before us.” By: Mark Garipay, Patch Poster I Jan. 24, 2019 8:13PM ET I am writing in support of the Pro...
Views: 280   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 31, 2019 8:18pm
by Balance
No
Sanctioned Scams by Zero Credibility Officials
There is not a shred of reason ("inquiry-based," if you want to use the fad terms of the current administration) to believe the officials shilling for this override. In all the noise surrounding this latest attempt to scam the voters, it should be remembered that thi...
Views: 230   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 24, 2019 10:07pm
by Hackorama
fee for band participation assessed after marching season ends
As a band parent I received a bill a few days ago for a 50 $ activity fee,for the now past fall band season. Apparently last year, in February 2018 when activity fees where set by the School Committee they voted for no fee for marching band. Subsequently in March whe...
Views: 237   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 24, 2019 9:23am
by No Surprise
Bottom Line
The bottom lIne regarding an Override is affordability. The majority of residents in Melrose cannot afford it. The folks who live in houses valued at 900K might not worry about more taxes. The majority of Melrose residents are very worried about taxes. They worry ab...
Views: 373   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 21, 2019 10:30pm
by Melrose
Broken
GI’s ego is way out of control. She showed her increasingly delusional view of herself when she wore broken glass jewelry to Memorial Hall on Tuesday night. Women who earn top positions deserve to be proud of themselves when they break the glass ceiling. She wa...
Views: 354   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 20, 2019 11:11am
by Trump and Infurn...
Melrose Resident Supports Override
From Patch: Melrose Resident Supports Override By Danielle McKnight, Patch Poster I Jan 10, 2019 7:46 pm ET I am writing to state my strong support for the override effort. I find the idea of further cuts to school and city services - clearly necessary if the ove...
Views: 315   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 20, 2019 10:28am
by What A Surprise!
My Mother
I want to post this because everyone is misinformed. My mother.. a mother of a bipolar son who needs continued treatment takes him in and helps him survive a tough time, without her he would be dead. You want to leave him behind? She doesn't. His daughter needs occup...
Views: 353   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 18, 2019 8:34pm
by Mother
Statement made by superintendent in Melrose Free
The Melrose Free Press last week reported the current METCO director is leaving for a position in Wellesley. The article seems to suggest the Salary for the next METCO director position depends on the override passing. With respect to the search for a new director th...
Views: 666   Replies: 15
Last Post: Jan 17, 2019 2:49pm
by Vortex
Turnoff
MCG turned off the Comment section at the end of Patch’s article on the Override. Shows how nervous the YES group is getting.
Views: 408   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jan 17, 2019 8:42am
by Individual 1
State Aide
Just heard Charlie Baker is backing bill for passage of mandatory school,aide for ALL school districts Maybe we should lower override request!
Views: 268   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 9, 2019 11:02am
by Individual 1
MCG Ban
The Melrose Community Facebook page has stopped any discussion of the Override. Looks like City and Yes folks are getting the message that voters are not buying what they are selling. Many residents cannot afford it and many others do not trust Melrose politicians a...
Views: 435   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 8, 2019 7:20pm
by Truth andTranspa...
The Truth Really Is Stranger Than Fiction
Over the past few days there have been a flood of posts by obvious trolls. They were reported to the admins. Earlier today, posts appeared attributed to the admins saying that the IPs of those trolls had been blocked. After emailing the admins to thank them for...
Views: 393   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 30, 2018 8:08pm
by Not Needed
IP addresses of those trolling were reported and banned
Recently there was a fake post from someone claiming to be an administrator, supposedly banning IP addresses of the offensive trolls who were trying to flood this message board. This fake administrator was banned, as were the IP addresses of the others trolling the b...
Views: 374   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 29, 2018 8:57am
by Melrose Cares Ad...
Convict
I just read on another MM string that Ed O’C will be the next Chair of the Melrose School Committee. I do not follow the MPS closely since my last kid graduated from MHS 2 years ago. I had planned to vote YES on the Override until I saw that O’Connell was...
Views: 1077   Replies: 28
Last Post: Dec 28, 2018 3:20pm
by Opinion
Beebe
So why is there NO plan in place for the Beebe School? So the taxpayers will be footing the loss rental income but still no idea what’s going to be there. I am just curious. Also can the Superintendent and school comittee change what’s on the “list&...
Views: 880   Replies: 27
Last Post: Dec 28, 2018 3:27pm
by Opinion
Over Ride MAILER
HELLO ALL. You will be receiving mailers for the YES vote on the override. I just got mine. Let me point out a few facts. If state funding is down why are the Alderman and Mayor not pushing our state rep to help instead they ask the Taxpayers of their communities to...
Views: 299   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 14, 2018 11:26pm
by Taste
Instructive and Provocative Attrition Rates for Melrose Public Schools
These facts are food for serious thought, or should be! Why are so many students leaving at the end of 8th grade? http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/attrition/default.aspx?orgcode=01780000&fycode=2018&orgtypecode=5& 16.6% of All Melrose students leave the district at...
Views: 402   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 13, 2018 9:20pm
by Informed residen...
School Median Salaries-Bureau of Labor Stats
I wanted to share this since the information in the override is so unclear. Below is the median average of what each position in the school makes. Pre-School Teacher 35,460 Kindergarden Teacher 67,640 Elementary School Teacher-71,380 Middle School Teacher 71,40...
Views: 845   Replies: 26
Last Post: Dec 11, 2018 6:47pm
by John
When I will vote on the override!
When the city has a meeting on Taymore and discuss her mismanagement of the schools and staff. When the city explains to me why all these lawsuits happened at the school, how much as tax payers and does this get factored into the huge amount for the override. W...
Views: 508   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 11, 2018 6:38pm
by Relevance
Stoneham Teacher Salaries
Kindergarten Teacher $67,640 Elementary School Teacher $71,380 Middle School Teacher $71,400 High School Teacher $73,090 PE Teacher $44,140 There is a snap shot of Stoneham a town similar to Melrose. Taymore likes to use schools that have ZERO similarities, ty...
Views: 402   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 9, 2018 5:53pm
by Citizen Due Dili...
New
Monica For the People
I am new to town and began getting involved with the town when the override came. I went and met the Mayor who to be honest had zero answers. people started saying vote yes it will make the schools better. Well of course I want that but I can't afford a huge overr...
Views: 492   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 6, 2018 5:26pm
by For the kids? Re...
Melrose SC Public Comment Policy in Violation
A Middlesex Superior Court judge ruled on November 28th 2018 that portions of the Natick School Committee’s public comment policy violate the state constitution. Judge Maynard Kirpalani said the policy violates free speech rights. "The defendants violated free...
Views: 313   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 4, 2018 11:13pm
by Free speech at S...
Morals
Dolan leaves and says the town is in great shape and the schools are blooming. Then we get a mayor appointed by Alderman not by the people. They say go ahead take some money. Repeated they say its simple lets have a vote. Our kids and schools are not simple, Ta...
Views: 368   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 2, 2018 8:00pm
by Melrose
MHS
Melrose High School Teacher Placed on Leave
The following is a press release from the Melrose Public Schools regarding a staff member at Melrose High School. Though I cannot comment on the situation, I feel that it is important for you to know how much I care about the students at Melrose High School. Thank...
Views: 1513   Replies: 23
Last Post: Nov 29, 2018 8:27pm
by Resident
Override...
Another over ride, another calling to all, speeches and venom and blah blah blah. Vote yes of you hate our schools and our future. Guess what I vote no. I can't afford this over ride plain and simple. Elderly, disabled, disabled veterans all on fixed incomes does...
Views: 626   Replies: 15
Last Post: Nov 27, 2018 10:20pm
by Vote NO
PODS waste of tax payers dollars? Now more?
How much did the PODS cost and was that not a solution for 5-10 years while a plan was developed? Now no plan? Such a massive amount of money asked for my a mayor who was never elected by the citizens of the town? Now we spent all the money on the PODS and then if...
Views: 368   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 23, 2018 10:45pm
by Upside down
School Administration
I hear about all these teachers leaving for this and that. I listen to complaints about salaries and increases. No offense but private sector we don't get what they get. Now we have a 6% increase in the override. Who gets something so large like 6%. That is insa...
Views: 383   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 19, 2018 10:58am
by Yup
Views: 2412   Replies: 43
Last Post: Nov 14, 2018 5:44pm
by shame
MVMMS students targeted, beaten
Why isn't information like this distributed to all MPS parents? We need to start addressing such issues with our children, in age appropriate language and age appropriate information given. Reminds me of the KICK A GINGER DAY at MVMMS a couple of years back under...
Views: 1941   Replies: 24
Last Post: Nov 6, 2018 11:17am
by again
Melrose: A Community Open to All" is just a sick PR slogan, at least or until this community decide
Melrose: A Community Open to All" is just a sick PR slogan, at least or until this community decides to fight back and make it real.The school's.
Views: 3109   Replies: 54
Last Post: Oct 30, 2018 8:08pm
by Melrose
Small-Town Insecurity and Arrogance
An article today: "‘Arrogance.’ ‘Small-Town Insecurity.’ Here's Why Harvard Hesitates to Accept Some Applicants" Small-town insecurity and arrogance explain so much of what is wrong in today's Melrose culture. In the rather desperate need t...
Views: 396   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 26, 2018 10:17am
by MPS salaries
Back Online in honor of Patricia Wright and Bob Snow, May they Rest in Peace
Let's have some civilized and intelligent dialogue in honor of two late citizens who really cared about our community!
Views: 403   Replies: 9
Last Post: Oct 22, 2018 7:35pm
by Geezer
Really Poor College Acceptanes
CT & MSC Making Melrose Great Again, apparently This year's graduating class had some of the worst college acceptance stats ever: 55 applied to Salem State and only 28 got in! 57 applied to UNH and only 27 got in! Wow.... This is appalling and should b...
Views: 1928   Replies: 50
Last Post: Jul 13, 2018 3:46pm
by Really
St. George
Why was the new Lincoln School Principal forced out of the Belmont Middle School Principal job to "seek other employment opportunities"? Most recently she was an "Interim". She has been a finalist for multiple jobs this year (lost recently in Framingham to MPS Wi...
Views: 723   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 9, 2018 9:14am
by Bottom of the Ba...
K space
Reading the Weekly and see that some schools are down 1or 2 in K classrooms. So why can’t they move 1 or 2 from the ECC Kindergarten and put them in the parents 1st choice ?
Views: 369   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 6, 2018 5:30pm
by Against Agenda
Melrose Needs a Cleansing Flush, Not an Override
Melrose needs a cleansing flush. No Override. No MZ or Sam H and most of the current officials, starting with the entire school committee NEED TO BE VOTED OUT. They have failed over and over again. They are as corrupt (and incompetent) as the departed but still...
Views: 379   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 6, 2018 10:59am
by Dillon
Water is it going up????
Obviously, meant appropriate use of retirees. One little secret Infurna and alderman have is approving Dolan's transfers of some of his city hall PR staff -- some of whom work PT for FT bennies -- to the Water and Sewer account. That way they pay for some salaries by...
Views: 798   Replies: 23
Last Post: Jul 5, 2018 10:33am
by bobby
Override
So 4 principals will be leaving the Melrose School system. Some of those have not been here long at all and you think that an override will fix this? All the money in the world won’t fix the atmosphere. For the past several years Melrose hasn’t had luck w...
Views: 724   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jul 3, 2018 3:32pm
by 2019
New Roosevelt Principal's Call to Action !
"We are the Red Raiders" is the proclamation by the new Roosevelt School Principal. Race based names and stereotypes in this day and age are insensitive and ignorant. Great start for the 4th Roosevelt Principal in 6 years.
Views: 22456   Replies: 282
Last Post: Jul 2, 2018 8:51pm
by Hot Sun
Gym/Health classes at the Roosey
Why is Mr. Goodwin leaving and being moved to the Hoover School?
Views: 624   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 30, 2018 5:50pm
by guess
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10