Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Thanks!
Thanks everybody! The conspiracy theories, the anti-government diatribes, and the complaining about PTO moms has been loads of fun to read. It's 7am Tuesday, and I'm headed down to vote yes. Cheers!
Views: 554   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 4, 2015 6:26pm
by Better Fun
"Yes" way ahead on Facebook likes
As of 10:57am the "Say Yes to Melrose" Facebook page has 595 Likes as compared to 117 for the Melrose Taxpayers Alliance page. That is a margin of over 5 to 1. If this trend holds up in the voting booths it will be a landslide victory for the "YES" votes. In my opini...
Views: 242   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 4, 2015 1:04pm
by Truth
The People Have Spoken
The mayor really thought this nonsense would pass? Can anyone say "out of touch" with what our city needs. I wish I had a picture of those sheep holding a "vote yes" sign yesterday. I pity the fools!
Views: 203   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 4, 2015 7:48am
by MFD
City Falling Apart
The override failed last night and the city is falling apart already. George Pazos must have screwed up the city web site so bad that Google isn't allowing access to it because of all the malware on it.
Views: 225   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 4, 2015 7:26am
by Tech
How are Election Results Tabulated?
What I am asking about is who actually counts the votes. I realize it is somewhat automated process because we put our cards in the machine after voting but who oversees the final process? Are they truly objective? So many things in this city are not done objecti...
Views: 940   Replies: 25
Last Post: Nov 4, 2015 5:42am
by Willie
$750,000 SLUSH FUND
Early on I was behind the override because it's obvious the schools need fixing. Now I find out that 1/3 of the override is to give the mayor a slush fund of at least $750,000. I'm voting no on it now. I changed my mind when I found out that the mayor keeps slush...
Views: 401   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 3, 2015 3:47pm
by MFD
GOOD ADVICE FROM JOHN DOE
“ I know a lot of you are saying, ‘What can i do, I’m just a little punk. I don’t count.’ Well, you’re dead wrong. The little punks have always counted because, in the long run, the character of a country or town is the sum total...
Views: 336   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 3, 2015 2:46pm
by You Do Know
My no vote
I will vote "no" on the override question because a yes vote continues the status quo while a no vote forces the district to consider alternative means to meet educational obligations, and THAT I believe is necessary for our students to thrive. I consider it a co...
Views: 414   Replies: 18
Last Post: Nov 3, 2015 11:17am
by What?
FREE PRESS WEBSITE STATEMENT ON YES MAILER
Clarification regarding override mailing Posted Nov. 2, 2015 at 12:09 PM MELROSE A note to our readers: It has come to our attention that a mailing was sent out to homes in Melrose with an image resembling the front page of the Melrose Free Press. The mail...
Views: 197   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 3, 2015 12:26am
by Not Trying to be...
Bullet Voting
Remember folks the ballot will say "VOTE FOR NOT MORE THAN THREE" for the School Committee and "VOTE FOR NOT MORE THAN FOUR" for Alerman-at-Large. However, you don't have to vote for 3 on the SC and 4 At-Large. If you really like a candidate as compared to the others...
Views: 79   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 2, 2015 11:09am
by Bullet voting
MELROSE WEEKLY NEWS OPPOSES OVERIDE
The Melrose Weekly News, with the largest circulation in Melrose, today announced its opposition to the override stating, "We have never felt comfortable with overrides used to run government."
Views: 183   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 30, 2015 9:54pm
by 2 questions
City Pension Abuses
Saw the report about the bond rating. Looks as if the city has unfunded pension liability of $129.4 million and other debt of $61.4 million. The total of both is $190.8 million. How did the elected officials let it get this bad? $190 million is three full years of ta...
Views: 278   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 30, 2015 12:37am
by Not Trying to be...
Melrose UNCENSORED
Boy! People used to lambaste Melrose Messages as vile. These people posting are absolutely over the line! Melrose Messages is downright dignified compared to that cesspool. Sometimes it takes an alternative to appear in order to really appreciate what you hav...
Views: 305   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 29, 2015 2:01pm
by Millennial
Police Station
Does the police station have a handicapped entrance? If not we should direct some override money to update.
Views: 893   Replies: 14
Last Post: Oct 27, 2015 9:05pm
by Hmmm
Mayor's Blog
What do the people of Melrose think of the Mayor's Blog last week which included two blogs on religious activities in Melrose? One describing the religious education classes being held at the Highlands Church and the other detailing how Temple Beth Shalom is prepari...
Views: 1810   Replies: 49
Last Post: Oct 27, 2015 6:20pm
by Keno player
City Hand Me Downs
So I noticed something The fire department has a red colored fire alarm truck from Malden, which is a hand me down The police department had a ford police pick up truck from Somerville, which they then handed over to Dpw, which makes it a double hand me down...
Views: 278   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 27, 2015 1:14pm
by M10
Election
It's no secret that the pro-override people will be out in force on election day. It's crucial that those of us opposed to the override not abdicate our responsibility. We cannot assume that opposition to the override is strong enough that we, each and every one of u...
Views: 407   Replies: 9
Last Post: Oct 26, 2015 10:00pm
by No vote = vote f...
Joan Bell the Unsung Hero of Mt. Hood
I just watched the budget hearings, and for the first time I actually heard a chairman of the Parks Commission, (William Gardiner) give credit where credit is due. To his credit as well. Joan Bell is truly a work horse, a visionary and she plays with the cards...
Views: 1044   Replies: 21
Last Post: Oct 24, 2015 4:36pm
by Fairly balanced
Free PRESS ENDORSES OVERRIDE
Surprise, surprise...the Melrose Free Press has endorsed the override. None of them even live in Melrose. Must make their biggest advertiser, a real estate agency, happy.
Views: 279   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 23, 2015 9:26pm
by The Melrose Faux...
G.I.C. Insurance & other issues
1. Alderman at Large Margolis is reported NOT currently enrolled in the Melrose G.I.C. health insurance, but was she at one time? If she was enrolled, did she recieve the $6,000.00 opt out payment (offered to city employees) for enrolling in a private plan? 2. The...
Views: 355   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 22, 2015 11:51am
by Answer
My eyes..
The sight of MBMM walking around downtown in yoga pants has permanently scarred me!
Views: 230   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 21, 2015 7:28pm
by Curious George
Where Does Each Candidate for Alderman Stand on the Override?
Does anyone have a list of where each candidate for alderman running in this November's election stands on the override? Information on the school committee contestants would be appreciated too. I posted on the school committee board already but if anyone knows,...
Views: 159   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 21, 2015 9:38am
by I Want to Be an ...
LWV Botches Candidate "Debate"
Last night's so-called Candidate Debate of aldermen and school committee candidates was an unprofessional display of the local League, starting with the fact that they couldn't find (by their own admission) an appropriately unbiased and competent team to run it. They...
Views: 415   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 17, 2015 7:53pm
by Resident
J.D. & Common Core
I was asked to sign a paper at a mall to put the repeal of Common Core on the ballot. I am very much in favor of this - anyone with kids in the schools is aware of the disaster that Common Core has created of homework time alone. Math problems are being completed in...
Views: 404   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 8, 2015 7:29pm
by gak
Melrose's Own Circle of Hell
from a recent article about gun tragedies: "Dante said there is a special place in Hell reserved for those who do nothing in a time of moral crisis. Edmund Burke said all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. We have men and women...
Views: 555   Replies: 13
Last Post: Oct 6, 2015 9:21pm
by Real Facts
Mayor Richard D. Lyons Memorial Tennis Courts
Can someone tell why the tennis courts are named after Richard Lyons? I looked him up - he was mayor from 1992-1997. Was he a famous tennis player? Did he donate money to build them originally? Or is it just because he was a mayor who died?
Views: 969   Replies: 32
Last Post: Oct 4, 2015 1:49pm
by Geezer
Phony Baloney
Melrose Weekly News....Tramontozzi's law firm gives the MEF a $1k donation....how generous....how wonderful...! JT is a phony and a thug to pose with his law partner and the MEF visionaries! If he has the money to give the MEF, why is he ripping off the rest of...
Views: 270   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 3, 2015 7:47am
by Curious George
MBMM Out?
Overheard at the Fair. MBMM has the first flight booked out of Boston 11/4 to her house in Florida expecting to lose on Election Day. Her illegal alien slave maids have two weeks off. She's spending her final months as alderman trying to get her loser daughter a j...
Views: 293   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 2, 2015 8:57pm
by out with MBMM
Ward 5
Interesting article on the front page of Free Press regarding the Ward 5 BOA race. Gail I should be very worried. I hope Anthony F indeed does "shake things up" and wins. He has my vote.
Views: 373   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 27, 2015 11:17am
by BFFs
Disbarred Attorney is Running Again
Once a thief always a thief. Since we have so many new readers of this board (google analytics is a useful tool allowing me to see the increase in IP addresses of unique viewers of this site which has increase 26 percent in less than 4 days) I feel compelled to give...
Views: 261   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 25, 2015 2:43pm
by In the bag
False Twitter Account Info Removed
I was informed that there was a string called "Election" with a false Twitter account disparaging Alderman Marybeth McAteer Margolis. It has been removed.
Views: 214   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 21, 2015 12:09pm
by patricia wright
LWV FORUMS
Does anyone know if the Melrose League of Women Voters are sponsoring Voter Education Forums during this election cycle? Where/When? Melrose needs to have three....one for SC, another for the contested BOA seats and an Override Debate. I urge the local LWV to spons...
Views: 198   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 21, 2015 11:27am
by Legitimate Debat...
Better Choice for Mayor
I am all in for a write-in mayoral campaign, but my choice will be Don Conn who I will also be supporting as Alderman-at Large. I will support Monica for the aldermanic race but feel Don has far more experience in municipal budgets. We need a mature leader who know...
Views: 340   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 20, 2015 11:51am
by Great candidate ...
Write in campaign
Since the mayor is unopposed in the upcoming election and given the OCR finding, I cannot stomach Dolan feeling that he is loved by all because he is running unopposed for Mayor. He seemed awfully lonely there at his spot at the fair. No one even went up to talk to h...
Views: 195   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 16, 2015 10:37am
by Cal
Water Main Flushing
Each year the advance notice about this program gets more and more mysterious. Great job City Hall, Lazy Alderman and the perpetual lunch eaters public works! GREAT job!
Views: 237   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 12, 2015 11:42am
by MFD
Hospital Trees
Why did they cut down all the trees at the hospital?! Over 25 trees removed. We need them to breathe, duh. Does anybody limit tree removal, or does each property owner just get to do what they want? So much development is really having an impact, but boy is it notice...
Views: 341   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 11, 2015 1:28pm
by 9
Nervous Nellies
The Pro-Override group is getting nervous. The Free Press published a letter today by Jen, Martha and company which most people won't buy. The majority of voters can't and/or won't support increasing their taxes. The distrust in government and how they spend our mon...
Views: 432   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 11, 2015 9:16am
by Help!
BOA Race
I read that Don Conn pulled papers to run again for the BOA. So, 5 people for 4 spots at this time....Conn, Mederios and JD will win handily......leaving the last spot for Zwirko or MBMM (unless someone else decides to go for it).....
Views: 343   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 6, 2015 7:14pm
by MFD
"Predatory Politician" rattles Dolan's cage
Interestingly enough, it appears as though the letter in the free Melrose paper that refers to Mayor Dolan as a predatory politician has hit a nerve. A supporter of Dolan posted on facebook on the Melrose Community page whining about the letter writer being out of l...
Views: 221   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 5, 2015 8:29pm
by sad
Time for BOA to Step Up in Wake of Feds Finding Melrose Schools Guilty of Violating Civil Rights
With the bombshell just "released" (below, from the other string, published by Evening News, front page this week) by Superintendent Cyndy Taymore, it's time for the entire city to address the management (or lack thereof) of its school system. Lest anyone still have...
Views: 236   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 5, 2015 9:19am
by Senior
Deleted Mad Cyclist String
I've gotten a lot of emails to delete that string copied from FaceBook where people's comments and names were reposted on this board. I deleted it because I believe in the sanctity of anonymity on THIS board. Those folks didn't ask to have their comments posted on...
Views: 173   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 3, 2015 10:34pm
by MFD
Tramontozzi's Highlands Fiasco
http://melrose.wickedlocal.com/article/20150828/NEWS/150827040/11473/NEWS The newspaper reported on the Highlands Fiasco. Traffic now flows worse than it did before spending a million dollars. Also, it's less safe for bikes pedestrians and cars. Some gems from...
Views: 519   Replies: 17
Last Post: Sep 3, 2015 3:51pm
by Clown Patrol Kil...
TAXPAYERS ORGANIZING
(FROM LOCAL PRESS) Taxpayers’ Alliance Forms to Fight Override A group of Melrose taxpayers has formed an official committee to fight the mayor’s proposed $2.25 million Proposition 2½ override initiative on the ballot this November. The gro...
Views: 341   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 1, 2015 8:47am
by MFD
Melrose DPW Truck Hit Boy on Bike on W Emerson, Where is Police Report or Newspaper Coverage?
Last week there was a very serious accident on West Emerson during the day in which a city dump truck hit a boy (supposedly a Melrose High School student) on a bike. The boy was apparently critically injured, rushed to Mass General and transferred to Children's. Appa...
Views: 1002   Replies: 32
Last Post: Aug 30, 2015 2:51pm
by So wrong
Override Defeat
The stock market went down one thousand points this week. 401Ks took a hit. Interest rates are going up next month. The ant-government and ant-tax movements have nationwide support from democrats, independents and republicans. This does not bode well for passage of...
Views: 328   Replies: 9
Last Post: Aug 23, 2015 3:22pm
by pay day for hack...
LaRock Runs for Alderman at Large!
I’m thrilled to read that J.D. Larock has pulled papers for Alderman at large. Here is a man that will not be bought with quid pro quo’s from Dolan, and hopefully Monica will finally have an ally who will support her agenda for transparency and change....
Views: 649   Replies: 15
Last Post: Aug 22, 2015 8:22pm
by Water
MFD
Melrose Rated #1 at Realtor.com for the Hotest Zip Code in America
Did you read in today's Boston Globe that Melrose is now rated #1 in the top 10 communities as the hotest zip codes in America? Yes - you heard it! This is from Realtor.con data based on how fast houses are sold and how frequently listing are viewed. It is interes...
Views: 864   Replies: 38
Last Post: Aug 22, 2015 1:16pm
by sad
ANOTHER OVERRIDE REJECTED
From Free Press blog (08/4) Weymouth voters rejected an operational override of Proposition 2 1/2 Tuesday, failing the measure by over 1600 votes. Turnout for the override vote was 34 percent, far lower than estimates of a 60 percent turnout earlier this week. In...
Views: 602   Replies: 17
Last Post: Aug 20, 2015 10:58am
by Old Timer
BOA Candidates
Sad to see JLB not running for BOA...Conn hasn't declared yet. JD should easily be elected, MM and Conn (if he chooses to run) will be top vote getters....repeat of last time... Then Last place for MBMM or MZ .... Hope Margolis loses....GI and JT have opposition...wo...
Views: 187   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 14, 2015 9:25pm
by In The Know
MFD
Massachusetts to be the First Sanctuary State?
Although this may not be an immediate city issue, however,if passed, it certainly will financially affects us all. If you can believe it, Democrat Rep. Byron Rushing from Boston, just introduced a bill which would make Massachusetts the first sanctuary state in the n...
Views: 93   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 14, 2015 8:50am
by MFD
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11