Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
New Fire and Police Stations
Dolan just called for a committee to explore new public safety buildings. Not one woman is on the Committee except Denise G!
Views: 1312   Replies: 41
Last Post: May 10, 2016 8:59am
by resident
Water Commission Contacts
Have a complaint about your water rates ? No need to go to an Aldermen's meeting. In the name of transparency, here are the members of the committee and their email addresses. Chair: John Scenna, Director of Public Works, jscenna@cityofmelrose.org Patrick...
Views: 248   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 4, 2016 2:33pm
by Village Voice
Shift Budget Priorities
When will the men and women who put their lives on the line for the rest of us be given respect? The buildings the fire and police professionals work in should be condemned. They are unsafe and violate laws of accessibility. The schools have had their chance. It...
Views: 748   Replies: 17
Last Post: May 3, 2016 2:24pm
by Blown It
ANOTHER OVERRIDE ? WAKE UP MELROSE
Excerpts from The Atlantic's May issue cover story: "The secret shame of the middle class" by neal gabler "Since 2013, the federal reserve board has conducted a survey to 'monitor the financial and economic status of American consumers.' The answer to one question...
Views: 229   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 1, 2016 6:00pm
by Arnold Koch
Free Cash Parade
The Free Cash Parade has begun. Document here how much and where it all goes. $210,000.00 to "Fire Overtime" $547,246.05 to "Contract Stabilization Fund" $197,500.00 to "Capital Stabilization Fund" $120,000.00 to "Police Overtime" $ 58,500.00 to "Wyoming Cemet...
Views: 503   Replies: 15
Last Post: Apr 27, 2016 6:40pm
by Safety First
GENDER/IDENTITY POLITICS
When then the BOA votes Monday evening to establish a Melrose Commission on Women, any male alderman who opposes it would probably find himself locked out of the house when he got home and labeled a misogynist. Yet, there there should be cause for concern....
Views: 638   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 8, 2016 1:46pm
by MFD
Community Must Confront its Issues of Racism and Bigotry
Melrose is now visibly a microcosm of some of the worst that is erupting around the country. It could be using these "teaching moments" to address its problems, and it must ultimately do so unless it wants to be known long-term for its bigotry and hypocrisy instead o...
Views: 1104   Replies: 25
Last Post: Apr 7, 2016 4:26pm
by Liberalism
ANOTHER FREE PRESS OPINION FOR MELROSE
The Melrose Free Press has published an editorial saying it would be a “good thing” for Melrose to establish a Commission on Women. Once again, as with their endorsement of an override, we have an out-of-town publication (that you have to dial 97...
Views: 1312   Replies: 32
Last Post: Mar 29, 2016 7:47am
by Melrose Commissi...
Melrose Commission on Men
When are the mayor and aldermen going to create and appoint the Melrose Commission on Men? Regardless of any inequities women and girls are subject to or support they need, there are plenty of issues concerning men and boys. I just heard girls today are far more...
Views: 254   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 27, 2016 11:32am
by Melrose Commissi...
drug dealers
Not being sarcastic here: what does it take to get the cops to actually do something about consistent, blatant drug dealing in our neighborhoods? Many complaints with zero results. Id really like to know how the system works and what is preventing the cops from cat...
Views: 1977   Replies: 30
Last Post: Mar 12, 2016 5:17pm
by Meds
JG
MFD embarrasses the City
Flash: Apparently, the FD Union "outed" the city for the condition of the main fire house. "no shame" Schenna toured the FD with reporters and hid certain sections of the station from them. No free access. No access to the "problem"areas. You think the Repor...
Views: 424   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 12, 2016 10:39am
by MFD or MFD?
Earnings
Is anyone going to ask how the Mayor made almost 135000 when his salary is 125,000?
Views: 1103   Replies: 23
Last Post: Mar 11, 2016 4:01pm
by Junior G
Praise From the Govenor
" I am pleased to join Mayor Dolan (for the Inaugural) as he begins another chapter in over two decades of service to the people and the City of Melrose. Mayor Dolan is a proven leader in the community ...." Melrose Weekly News 1/8/16. That's "one man's opinion"....
Views: 946   Replies: 21
Last Post: Feb 11, 2016 2:54pm
by MFD
Commission on Women
It will be interesting to see the appointments to the new Women's Commission. Diversity is assumed but it remains to be seen. Hopefully, the Commissioners will be representative of changing Melrose. If only white women with their mommy agendas are running the show,...
Views: 447   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 9, 2016 11:25am
by Hoping for Diffe...
Conn Nails It in Inaugural Speech
http://www.mmtv3.org/index.php?categoryid=1 Don Conn speech @ 37:36 January 11, 2016 Melrose Inaugural Finally! He vows to return to a "unitary water and sewer rate system"! Let's hold him to "having the fortitude" to accomplishing this. "We need to accept re...
Views: 457   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 25, 2016 5:38pm
by interested citiz...
City Water Paid by Residents
Free Press front page article today explains how the DPW Head and City Auditor, PDR "fixed the books" and rolled water municipal building costs into residential bills....send them to jail for theft.....VOTED NO on the Override.... Gut said not to trust the $ manipula...
Views: 589   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 10, 2016 8:04am
by MFD
Free Cash
The front page of today's Free Press has an article about the abundance of "Free Cash". How can any elected official in this city look themselves in the mirror, if they supported the Override. NO to any new fees or taxes, Our family is proud we voted NO on the OVERR...
Views: 448   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 1, 2016 1:03pm
by Very Sad
Patrick
PDR worked in Melrose...then Plymouth...then back to Melrose...what is the story behind the job switching cycle? What/how did RD/Melrose cooperate...? Plymouth officials allowed PDR to leave quickly and quietly....his fiscal competence was widely questioned and his t...
Views: 1107   Replies: 24
Last Post: Dec 23, 2015 7:21pm
by fed up
Patrick Dello Russo Leaves Plymouth with 1.6 Million Dollar Sewer Deficit
In 2003 Patrick resigned from Plymouth to be the CFO in Melrose. But it seems he neglected to tell Plymouth Town officials that the Enterprise Account was short 1.6 million before he left. And this thug as the audacity to question Ms. Mederios! His behavior at...
Views: 815   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 19, 2015 7:58pm
by Observer
Snow Slaves
Now the city wants to make us slaves to clear the city snow and charge us if we don't do it quick enough for them. Next they'll want us to shovel the roads. If they want all the sidewalks shoveled according to their time frame, they should do it themselves instea...
Views: 527   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 17, 2015 1:55pm
by Waaah
Coalition Forming for a Better Melrose
There are some community members joining with a couple of our civic leaders to call for action in returning Melrose to a more civil and decent community, where our elected and paid officials will be held accountable. The recent direct abuses of two of our elected off...
Views: 233   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 17, 2015 12:02pm
by Take Back Melros...
Million $ Free Cash
The BOA meeting tonight will decide how to spend one million in "free cash" suddenly found...proof once again that we never needed an override. Our budget process is far from open or transparent. Political leadership in Melrose cannot be trusted. The margin of defea...
Views: 1044   Replies: 30
Last Post: Dec 16, 2015 12:21pm
by Pitiful
City and School Budget
The total city budget is $72 million. School Committee put out a report a while back showing they spend $53 million. The $19 million is what the city runs on - not very much money to do all the police, fire, roads, trash, water and sewer, seniors and city hall. The m...
Views: 215   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 16, 2015 9:24am
by block walker
Merry Christmas
So have you heard the news? The mayor has declared he will pay all city employees portion of their health insurance for the month of December amounting to over 100k. Not him personally but courtesy of the taxpayers. While this is a very nice gesture on his part doe...
Views: 851   Replies: 28
Last Post: Dec 3, 2015 12:08am
by Speechless
water bill
Who wants to lead the charge against these higher water bills? I would love to join the brigade, and I'm sure a lot of people would be behind it! Peaceful assembly!f
Views: 739   Replies: 13
Last Post: Nov 20, 2015 12:16am
by No water answers
water
I agree, the water bills are out of sight. How is a senior to keep up with all the increases! And to the person who says "go green"how do you know they don't have a water bucket. Don't make assumptions, this is a tough world and finances make it tougher.
Views: 283   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 15, 2015 2:48pm
by resident
Time to Organize a New City Charter Committee
It's time to gather a community group to fix our colossally screwed up charter to remove (1) the mayor from the School Committee, (2) put back a Recall option for citizens (there isn't one), (3) correct the language that would require a mayor to give up holdings in a...
Views: 413   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 15, 2015 8:55am
by Huh?
WATER BILLS
I had to sit down after I opened my latest water bill yesterday. The rates, bills, tiers and meter charges are confusing, unfair and out of control. Every candidate for public office during the next election cycle needs to make this issue front and center. No one in...
Views: 1627   Replies: 35
Last Post: Nov 13, 2015 8:02am
by New Charter Now ...
Override FAIL!!!!!
I want to say my faith in the people of Melrose is restored. I was worried seeing all the Vote yes lawn signs which by the way are against city ordinance, and the vote yes bumper stickers. But the silent majority shined through. All of you who voted yes and are n...
Views: 1366   Replies: 33
Last Post: Nov 10, 2015 7:16pm
by DEM
Thank you Bob Burgess Editor of the Melrose Weekly News!
Kudos to Bob Burgess of the Melrose Weekly News for devoting an entire page of the paper to the City-wide election results. It's interesting and very telling that Dolan does not have the support he thinks he does. 1861 people left the ballot "blank". That's 22.6 perc...
Views: 270   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 10, 2015 8:06am
by patricia wright
road work
When are you going to order repaving of Main St from W wyoming to Pine Banks? Our houses shake and have cracks in the walls from the trucks and the cracks in the street!
Views: 283   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 4, 2015 10:46pm
by resident
Thanks!
Thanks everybody! The conspiracy theories, the anti-government diatribes, and the complaining about PTO moms has been loads of fun to read. It's 7am Tuesday, and I'm headed down to vote yes. Cheers!
Views: 617   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 4, 2015 6:26pm
by Better Fun
"Yes" way ahead on Facebook likes
As of 10:57am the "Say Yes to Melrose" Facebook page has 595 Likes as compared to 117 for the Melrose Taxpayers Alliance page. That is a margin of over 5 to 1. If this trend holds up in the voting booths it will be a landslide victory for the "YES" votes. In my opini...
Views: 305   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 4, 2015 1:04pm
by Truth
The People Have Spoken
The mayor really thought this nonsense would pass? Can anyone say "out of touch" with what our city needs. I wish I had a picture of those sheep holding a "vote yes" sign yesterday. I pity the fools!
Views: 262   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 4, 2015 7:48am
by MFD
City Falling Apart
The override failed last night and the city is falling apart already. George Pazos must have screwed up the city web site so bad that Google isn't allowing access to it because of all the malware on it.
Views: 284   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 4, 2015 7:26am
by Tech
How are Election Results Tabulated?
What I am asking about is who actually counts the votes. I realize it is somewhat automated process because we put our cards in the machine after voting but who oversees the final process? Are they truly objective? So many things in this city are not done objecti...
Views: 1011   Replies: 25
Last Post: Nov 4, 2015 5:42am
by Willie
$750,000 SLUSH FUND
Early on I was behind the override because it's obvious the schools need fixing. Now I find out that 1/3 of the override is to give the mayor a slush fund of at least $750,000. I'm voting no on it now. I changed my mind when I found out that the mayor keeps slush...
Views: 462   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 3, 2015 3:47pm
by MFD
GOOD ADVICE FROM JOHN DOE
“ I know a lot of you are saying, ‘What can i do, I’m just a little punk. I don’t count.’ Well, you’re dead wrong. The little punks have always counted because, in the long run, the character of a country or town is the sum total...
Views: 404   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 3, 2015 2:46pm
by You Do Know
My no vote
I will vote "no" on the override question because a yes vote continues the status quo while a no vote forces the district to consider alternative means to meet educational obligations, and THAT I believe is necessary for our students to thrive. I consider it a co...
Views: 483   Replies: 18
Last Post: Nov 3, 2015 11:17am
by What?
FREE PRESS WEBSITE STATEMENT ON YES MAILER
Clarification regarding override mailing Posted Nov. 2, 2015 at 12:09 PM MELROSE A note to our readers: It has come to our attention that a mailing was sent out to homes in Melrose with an image resembling the front page of the Melrose Free Press. The mail...
Views: 260   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 3, 2015 12:26am
by Not Trying to be...
Bullet Voting
Remember folks the ballot will say "VOTE FOR NOT MORE THAN THREE" for the School Committee and "VOTE FOR NOT MORE THAN FOUR" for Alerman-at-Large. However, you don't have to vote for 3 on the SC and 4 At-Large. If you really like a candidate as compared to the others...
Views: 172   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 2, 2015 11:09am
by Bullet voting
MELROSE WEEKLY NEWS OPPOSES OVERIDE
The Melrose Weekly News, with the largest circulation in Melrose, today announced its opposition to the override stating, "We have never felt comfortable with overrides used to run government."
Views: 262   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 30, 2015 9:54pm
by 2 questions
City Pension Abuses
Saw the report about the bond rating. Looks as if the city has unfunded pension liability of $129.4 million and other debt of $61.4 million. The total of both is $190.8 million. How did the elected officials let it get this bad? $190 million is three full years of ta...
Views: 340   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 30, 2015 12:37am
by Not Trying to be...
Melrose UNCENSORED
Boy! People used to lambaste Melrose Messages as vile. These people posting are absolutely over the line! Melrose Messages is downright dignified compared to that cesspool. Sometimes it takes an alternative to appear in order to really appreciate what you hav...
Views: 378   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 29, 2015 2:01pm
by Millennial
Police Station
Does the police station have a handicapped entrance? If not we should direct some override money to update.
Views: 962   Replies: 14
Last Post: Oct 27, 2015 9:05pm
by Hmmm
Mayor's Blog
What do the people of Melrose think of the Mayor's Blog last week which included two blogs on religious activities in Melrose? One describing the religious education classes being held at the Highlands Church and the other detailing how Temple Beth Shalom is prepari...
Views: 2088   Replies: 49
Last Post: Oct 27, 2015 6:20pm
by Keno player
City Hand Me Downs
So I noticed something The fire department has a red colored fire alarm truck from Malden, which is a hand me down The police department had a ford police pick up truck from Somerville, which they then handed over to Dpw, which makes it a double hand me down...
Views: 353   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 27, 2015 1:14pm
by M10
Election
It's no secret that the pro-override people will be out in force on election day. It's crucial that those of us opposed to the override not abdicate our responsibility. We cannot assume that opposition to the override is strong enough that we, each and every one of u...
Views: 469   Replies: 9
Last Post: Oct 26, 2015 10:00pm
by No vote = vote f...
Joan Bell the Unsung Hero of Mt. Hood
I just watched the budget hearings, and for the first time I actually heard a chairman of the Parks Commission, (William Gardiner) give credit where credit is due. To his credit as well. Joan Bell is truly a work horse, a visionary and she plays with the cards...
Views: 1115   Replies: 21
Last Post: Oct 24, 2015 4:36pm
by Fairly balanced
Free PRESS ENDORSES OVERRIDE
Surprise, surprise...the Melrose Free Press has endorsed the override. None of them even live in Melrose. Must make their biggest advertiser, a real estate agency, happy.
Views: 351   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 23, 2015 9:26pm
by The Melrose Faux...
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12