Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Send this Override Overboard!
There is power in numbers. A group of citizens agreeing to run as a slate for both boards, giving each other the strength and wisdom base (since there is a steep learning curve), would begin to fix things. Melrose does not need more of the current batch of clones....
Views: 700   Replies: 21
Last Post: Jan 9, 2019 9:37pm
by Credibility
WAKE UP GUYS
Wake up guys. If you oppose it and an override passes, who will pay for it ? Mostly wage earners whom are mostly male. They will be the ones to pick up the tab. If you believe it's worthwhile and can afford to pay for it for years to come out of your income, vote Yes.
Views: 266   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 8, 2019 12:44pm
by The Outsider
The Truth Really is Stranger Than Fiction
Over the past few days there have been a flood of posts by obvious trolls. They were reported to the admins. Earlier today, posts appeared attributed to the admins saying that the IPs of those trolls had been blocked. After emailing the admins to thank them for...
Views: 204   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 28, 2018 9:53pm
by Unbelievable
Biofreeze
Biofreeze would you like to have an open and public question and answer session on the override.. you say you can afford it and make a front that the rich matter more than we’ll i guess I’m the poor, should my kids be left behind because I’m only ma...
Views: 721   Replies: 21
Last Post: Dec 28, 2018 3:30pm
by Opinion
BIOFREEZE PUBLIC DEBATE
YOU HAVE STATED YOU WOULD ENGAGE IN A PUBLIC DEBATE. THE LIBRAY WOULD BE A GREAT PLACE. WE WILL VIDEO IT, HAVE TH E NEWSPAPERS THERE AND HAVE IT OPEN TO THE COMMUNITY SO WE CAN SHARE DATA AND INFORMATION. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT TIME YOU ARE AVAILABLE AND LETS SEE IF...
Views: 188   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 20, 2018 9:58pm
by VOTE NO
Medical Worries Costs
Why the “One” Melrose folks couldn’t have waited until after the Holidays to begin their campaign is questionable I was an undecided voter but now have made my decision. This Country and City is in such a mess. Couldn’t we have had a break fr...
Views: 270   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 17, 2018 6:38am
by What It Is
Take Off The Blinders
With a stock market tumbling and a Recession predicted, what part of "We Can't Afford It" don't the Yes folks understand ?
Views: 528   Replies: 20
Last Post: Dec 16, 2018 4:43pm
by Mean and Divisiv...
Globe Warning and Weekly News Missed Opportunity
Don't miss major feature on front page of Globe Local section today 12/16 entitled "Worry Mounts Aa Property Taxes Rise" about the impact on senior citizens and those on fixed income. Also, wouldn't it have been interesting if the reporter who wrote the photo/articl...
Views: 188   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 16, 2018 4:32pm
by Facts and Figure...
What happened?
Why was Melrose Messages not working for 3 months?
Views: 602   Replies: 15
Last Post: Dec 15, 2018 5:49pm
by Balance
JMA
Inside the Override spin
The latest installment of "Inside the Override" is the purest example to date of how the administration misrepresents data in the hope the electorate is either too dumb or too busy. This time however they have preceded an irrelevant (albeit true) statistic with a pat...
Views: 186   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 14, 2018 6:39pm
by What It Is
Yes Campaign
I am wondering why my questions and information is being blocked or taken down not only by onemelrose.org but by the Mayors blog. I have no specified my vote because I want more information. No one on the yes side or the Mayor seem to care is just say yes or else. Yo...
Views: 212   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 13, 2018 8:53pm
by worried
Taxes
I still am trying to figure out where the $50 a quarter “trash fee” we pay with our water bills is applied to. Does this money just go into water and sewer account or do the actually take money out and allocate to DPW? Is this used to pay for employees, e...
Views: 311   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 13, 2018 7:57pm
by Spread the Word
Mayor
I recently noticed the Mayor campaigning with the Yes voters for the override.. I’m concerned because I send questions and such and she didn’t respond. I am curious will the mayor hear out the skeptics and answer some questions? Maybe we are not opposed t...
Views: 236   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 13, 2018 7:49pm
by Spread the Word
Biofreeze
Biofreeze would you like to have an open and public question and answer session on the override.. you say you can afford it and make a front that the rich matter more than we’ll i guess I’m the poor, should my kids be left behind because I’m only ma...
Views: 162   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 13, 2018 5:58pm
by Challenge
Tired of the Name Calling
I'm starting to get a little tired of the antics of the "Yes" brigade. For the most part, as soon as they find out someone plans to vote "No", it starts - you don't care about the kids, you're selfish, you're irresponsible, and on and on and on. It sure tells me a lo...
Views: 588   Replies: 22
Last Post: Dec 5, 2018 6:10pm
by Get informed; if...
Departures
The RD and JC story. Exits from City Hall Melrose to Lynnfield and Lincoln Elementary to a Lexington Elementary. Reputations gone. Departures were not just for bigger salaries.
Views: 572   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 1, 2018 1:11am
by Get the facts
Economic Worries
The Stock Market is plummeting again today. Trump’s trade wars will continue to blow things up and increase everyone’s economic uncertainty. Many people are already worried and struggling financially. Trump and his band of idiots in Washington will be re...
Views: 766   Replies: 15
Last Post: Nov 29, 2018 6:12pm
by decor
New Fire Chief
Even though I often disagree with Alderman Forbes, especially on some of the positions he has taken vis-a-vie water and Sewer, he is spot on in decrying the process, or lack of process, culminating in the appointment of the new fire chief. I don't know Captain Col...
Views: 1413   Replies: 26
Last Post: Nov 27, 2018 6:53pm
by where is Dolan
Hypocrites
We stand around and we blast the president for sinking the economy or being this or that but the same liberal agenda wants to increase taxes by 600 bucks a year from a bill passed by a mayor not elected by the people. You blame the president of the issues in the cou...
Views: 281   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 26, 2018 6:19pm
by Annoying
Random Acts of Kindness
I've seen signs and stickers around supporting Melrose Random Acts of Kindness Day. The slogan, we are Kindness Warriors with a picture of a heart with what looks like a v-jay jay inside of it. How much did all this stuff cost and who paid for it? Who designed the...
Views: 395   Replies: 12
Last Post: Nov 26, 2018 6:32pm
by kindness/respect
Alderman
I applaud Monica Medieros for bringing up some very important questions regarding the override. She obviously has put a lot of thought into this and she has a right to her opinion. We voted for her to look out for us and that is exactly what she is doing. PM was...
Views: 251   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 23, 2018 6:07pm
by Vacation
Globe Local Taxes
Today’s Boston Sunday Globe has an article on page 3 of GLOBE LOCAL. It lists numerous tax hikes voters supported in many places. The amounts of what was requested and how much it costs for ratepayers should be compared to what the Illegitimate One and her ba...
Views: 1024   Replies: 36
Last Post: Nov 20, 2018 11:19pm
by Discover
Dumb ass city
Why did we just celebrate Diwali as a city event? It’s a Hindu-therefor religious. At a time when Christianity and Judaism is getting kicked out of government all together, it seems it’s okay to make sure other religions are pushed upon us. When has the c...
Views: 607   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 16, 2018 11:05am
by Jesus
Solid Waste tax
Does anyone know exactly what the $50 we are charged with on our outrageous water bill is for? This is additional money we pay for Solid Waste so to me this is a TAX. That is another 200 we pay for in taxes !
Views: 217   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 14, 2018 6:21pm
by Willie
Ballot machines
So I’m 5th in line to put my ballot into the machine and it jams. Three election officials crowd around the machine and open it up and take out up to 10 ballots and put them aside. Then they stand around watching us 5 put our ballots into the machine. It jams...
Views: 319   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 14, 2018 5:59pm
by DEMS
Override Proposal
So according to Infurna, she is requesting a $5.18 million override, with every dime going to the schools. Does anyone NOT realize that it's NOT a $5.18 million override? It's $5.18 million every year forever. You could save almost that much by simply getting...
Views: 439   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 9, 2018 7:54am
by Melrose
Community Conversations
Read in the local newspaper that there will be group discussions on a (Spring 2019) school Override coming soon to the Theatre of The Absurd which Melrose has now become. No, No, No.... Not a cent until Taymore resigns and other City needs are given attention and mon...
Views: 3792   Replies: 80
Last Post: Nov 6, 2018 11:21am
by failing melrose
OVERRIDE SCHEDULED
Specifically, what will this override money be used for?
Views: 674   Replies: 23
Last Post: Nov 5, 2018 8:06pm
by Lincoln school
No override needed
In case you missed the oped in this week's Free Press: In the coming weeks, interim Mayor Gail Infurna and the Board of Aldermen will complete a required cycle toward a fiscal year 2019 operating budget for the city and schools to begin on July 1. The total budget...
Views: 1017   Replies: 18
Last Post: Nov 5, 2018 8:12pm
by No Override
Public Safety Building Report
The update Illegitimate Gail released regarding the Public Safety Building Report is a disgrace. Talk about Fake News. One Melrose is nervous because they are realizing that voters care about more than the MPS.
Views: 620   Replies: 15
Last Post: Nov 4, 2018 10:50pm
by Obviously
Pervasive Damage to Open Public Discourse by Melrose Community Page on FB
In such dangerous times it seems especially important to try and shed light on the insidious sources of deepest harm. While the Melrose Community Page (MCP) on Facebook has contributed a great deal when it comes to having a forum for the routine stuff--where to lo...
Views: 238   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 31, 2018 9:30am
by parent
One Melrose
During the launch party for ONE MELROSE, there were many different messages from the speakers and the supporters present. All Aldermen will be targeted to publicly support putting the Override on the ballot and committ to campaign for its passage before Thanksgivin...
Views: 255   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 22, 2018 10:52am
by Trumpian Melrose
Patricia Wright and Bob Snow obituaries
Here are the obituaries from two dedicated citizens who worked hard over many years to help Melrose be more honest, more faithful to its citizens: Patricia M. Wright, 54. Obituary, Melrose, MA Patricia M. (Shea) Wright, age 54, of Melrose, formerly of Brighton...
Views: 198   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 22, 2018 7:59am
by Melrose Cares
Back Online in honor of Patricia Wright and Bob Snow, May they Rest in Peace
Let's have some civilized and intelligent dialogue in honor of two late citizens who really cared about Melrose!
Views: 195   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 20, 2018 11:17pm
by Agreed
Tax Bill
I was shocked when I opened the tax bill for the new year. I haven't lived here for very long, but the tax bill is more than 25% of what it was when I bought. How has it gone up so much in a few short years?
Views: 652   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jul 13, 2018 7:44pm
by 2 1/2 Will
Forbes for Mayor
Just read the Events and Adventures group. Interesting to read the recent posts encouraging Scott Forbes to run for Mayor. I would vote for Scott. I won't vote for MM, JT or MZ.
Views: 1344   Replies: 30
Last Post: Jul 12, 2018 9:48am
by Yes
Mayor’s Blog
A formal announcement was made days ago about Jackie Lavender Bird being hired to replace Mike Lindstrom. Interesting to note that GI has yet to announce it on her Mayor’s Blog. While a member of the BOA, JLB often voted differently than the rubber stamping G...
Views: 548   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jul 9, 2018 11:06am
by Melrose Resident
The Supremes Union Decision
I am a former member of a public sector union, retired. Above all else, unions exist to ensure workers are treated fairly. The Illinois law the Supremes just struck down forced all public sector employees to pay a fee to the unions, even if they are not union memb...
Views: 387   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 30, 2018 5:48pm
by Really?
Real Community Conversations
MBMM called City Hall furious last week because she was ticketed in front of Melrose television performing her two hour no call no show job where she worked with RD to raise our cable rates to get plush insurance and salary to do no work. She was angry she was ticke...
Views: 308   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 27, 2018 10:57am
by Nope
Infurna and Dolan
Melrose Patch posted photos from last night’s Pride event. The Infurna-Dolan exchange shows that GI must have had some explaining to do! RD looks unhappy! He left a mess and Illegitimate Mayor is in trouble!
Views: 352   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 21, 2018 7:24pm
by Forensic Audit
Mayors office?
Can anyone give me a review of what their experience has been dealing with Mayor Infurna and her office? Just a few words to describe your experience would be helpful. Thx
Views: 440   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 21, 2018 2:53pm
by Dunkin Donuts
Sam Hammar for State Senate
Jason Lewis is being challenged by Women's Commission Chair and Melrose Democratic City Chair, Sam Hammar. She must have big bucks, if she can afford to leave her full time job to run for State Senate. What does her husband do? All the local politicians praise Sena...
Views: 1831   Replies: 36
Last Post: Jun 20, 2018 3:58pm
by Right
Budget
Who watched that train wreck of an alderman meeting last night? No discussion as they passed another budget with little critical thought. Icing on the cake was the inept moderation of the voting process! Seems Zwirko does not understand the rules or have any real gra...
Views: 409   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jun 20, 2018 9:47am
by More Over
Cemetery scandal
It’s been a year and a half now, with no further information regarding the co-conspirators on this issue. Why is it that no one seems to be further investigating, or worse yet, telling us information they already know?
Views: 299   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 9, 2018 1:35pm
by Bruce
Alderman health benefits
Mayor Infurna last night announced that she will eliminate health benefits for the aldermen in next year’s budget. This should make many people on this message board happy.
Views: 887   Replies: 22
Last Post: Jun 5, 2018 10:29pm
by That's Exactly ...
Teacher Protests
Bravo to the MPS teachers who demonstrated at all the schools today. Taymore should have been fired years ago instead of rehired and given a substantial raise. She is not respected by the educators she abuses on a daily basis. The budget has been mismanaged, childre...
Views: 728   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 4, 2018 6:00pm
by sped
April Override
The City will schedule an Override in April 2019. The Override details are being kept secret but it is rumored to be for the schools only. Forget about the Public Safety Buildings. Forget about street infrastructure. Forget about other departmental needs. Another...
Views: 539   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 24, 2018 6:00pm
by break
LOL
Mortimer Expressing Concern about Ghettos
BOA April 23 on Vimeo roughly 25:00 https://vimeo.com/266225619 A stellar example of Melrose Governance Back up a little and see Wright posturing over those dastardly MBTA liquor ads at the 10-minute mark and then again (after no one could figure out his in...
Views: 338   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 18, 2018 11:49am
by LOL
Close The ECC
MPS (City Taxes) have subsidized the ECC since it opened. We cannot afford to run it anymore. Families who could afford the fees were lucky. MANY people could not afford the costs. The ECC discriminated against low income residents and paid a portion of the costs...
Views: 1106   Replies: 29
Last Post: May 12, 2018 8:37pm
by Yup
Speeding on Wyoming
A car hit and killed a 79 year old Barber on Wyoming Avenue in front of his shop. How fast was the driver going? Was the driver texting or talking on their cell phone? The traffic and speeding in this neighborhood is out of control. The Melrose Patch story made me...
Views: 953   Replies: 23
Last Post: May 1, 2018 10:40am
by True
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11