Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
EASY CHOICE FOR CHAMBER
Endorsing an override as in the past would have been an easy choice for the Chamber. Better to have the taxpayers share a possible fiscal shortfall. Better not to have tax exempt properties payments for servicies questioned.
Views: 135   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 6, 2019 3:39pm
by Consider the sou...
The Melrose Taxpayers'
You can learn more in the coming weeks. The Melrose Taxpayers' Alliance will be educating you with accurate, factual information to help you make the right choice in the April 2nd election. This is an important vote, so be sure and make your decision based on facts,...
Views: 175   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 4, 2019 7:55pm
by Dad
Businesses in Trouble
Many downtown Melrose businesses are in trouble. As I shopped local over the weekend, I made a point of asking questions. Business revenue is way down all over downtown! Delayed construction projects and poor city planning is partly responsible. Melrose is no longer...
Views: 248   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 4, 2019 11:50am
by Or
Sense A Pattern?
https://www.localheadlinenews.com/lynnfield-center-water-district-rate-increase-sparks-fly-board-of-selectmen/
Views: 480   Replies: 12
Last Post: Feb 3, 2019 3:41pm
by Concerned Melros...
Lemmerman Dark Side.
How JL could elevate “The Felon” to the status of Brodeur and Lewis is surprising. Excited to see that she was hosting a conversation with our State Senator and State Representative. We were leaning toward a YES Vote and intended to go to this gathering....
Views: 167   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 3, 2019 2:18pm
by Lemmerman Dark S...
Salary Comparisons
Hoping that the Melrose Taxpayers Alliance will do a comparison chart of starting salaries for Melrose Firefighters and Melrose Police Officers compared to surrounding Cities and towns. What are the step raises for Public Safety employees in Melrose? How does Melr...
Views: 183   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 3, 2019 9:28am
by Facts and Figure...
Pot shops
At the risk of daring think there is more to this towns politics than the override What about the pot shops? Where should they be? Ward 5 hypocrisy in not wanting one there, or fair points about sharing the burdens (though after the initial rush of traffic, most rese...
Views: 455   Replies: 17
Last Post: Feb 1, 2019 2:21pm
by resident
The news is dieing and how to fix it
The past 15 years have brought us the collapse of the U.S. auto industry, the death of American manufacturing, and the groundwork for a movement of automation that is poised to wipe out an entire class of low-wage workers. However, nothing has hit this country quite...
Views: 228   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 31, 2019 9:55pm
by Opinion
Line Item City Budget?
Is there a line item city budget available to the public? Not the virtual budget. Rather a line item budget that details all the revenue, expenses and other?
Views: 1274   Replies: 58
Last Post: Jan 31, 2019 9:30pm
by Biofreeze
Using the College Students for Votes
There appears to be an effort to get the city's living away at college population to vote yes on the override. Obviously this is done to counter all the no votes that the last override received. To turn the numbers in the yes' favor because so many people said no the...
Views: 364   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jan 27, 2019 1:39am
by Never Answered
Infurna’s RE Taxes
Just went on the City of Melrose Assesment page to check what Gail Infurna pays for her Real Estate Taxes. She is demanding the rest of us (who make far less than she does) to make a decision to pay more RE taxes for the Override. Who owns the condo she lives in at 1...
Views: 314   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 18, 2019 10:30am
by GI
Ben Franklin Quotes
Geezer got me googling Ben Franklin quotes. Here are a few from American History Central: “Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done mu...
Views: 337   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 17, 2019 4:49pm
by Wow
Don't Use METCO as Budget Scapegoat
This excellent post was on the School side (in response to a very flawed posting by "Real Facts" that suggested METCO creates $800,000+ cost to Melrose--NOT true!), but deserves fuller representation regarding city governance: Dear Real Facts, If you're looking...
Views: 95   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 17, 2019 12:46pm
by Okay to Vote No
One Melrose Trouble
Uncertainty and anxiety is increasing as the Government Shutdown continues with no end in sight. The Stock Market fluctuations, political shenanigans and the manipulation of facts and data by local and national politicians is very worrying for One Melrose. One of the...
Views: 460   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jan 17, 2019 9:41am
by Curious
Turnoff
The MCG page turned off the Comment section regarding Infurna’s Override speech. Yes is in trouble and nervous.
Views: 177   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 17, 2019 9:00am
by No Comment
State Of The City
Is that what that was? I thought it was about 90% stumping for an override.
Views: 215   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 15, 2019 10:19pm
by Say What?
Huge Melrose budget surpluses
Since GI never tells anybody this, so it's important to know that Melrose each year has HUGE budget surpluses. They call it "free cash", but it's really a budget surplus. Here are the surpluses for the past few years: FY18 - $3.5M FY17 - $2.2M FY16 - $4.3M FY15...
Views: 165   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 15, 2019 9:00pm
by Melrose
Sam and Rob
Sam Hammar and Rob Dolan teamed up to host college kids for an Override Forum. Dolan surfacing to promote One Melrose, YES is interesting. The details of his disgraced exit is widely known and certainly won’t be welcomed by the Lincoln School PTO. Did SH get a...
Views: 758   Replies: 25
Last Post: Jan 14, 2019 6:38pm
by Absolutely
So Much Hypocrisy, No on Override
As a Melrosian who cares about our community, I find the whole override presentation very troubling. It is business as usual for the lifer pols in this town, those who refuse to hold our school administration and school committee accountable for grievous misconduct,...
Views: 1049   Replies: 27
Last Post: Jan 10, 2019 8:01am
by Concerned Melros...
First Poll Results for Melrose Override
Based on a random sample of 1,000 Melrose Residents. Conducted during period from 1/2/2019 through 1/9/2019. Demographics: Homeowners: 752 Renters: 248 (D): 686 (R): 236 (Did not Identify): 78 Aggregated Results: “Yes” - 67.5% “No&#...
Views: 249   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 9, 2019 11:24pm
by Really??
Send this Override Overboard!
There is power in numbers. A group of citizens agreeing to run as a slate for both boards, giving each other the strength and wisdom base (since there is a steep learning curve), would begin to fix things. Melrose does not need more of the current batch of clones....
Views: 627   Replies: 21
Last Post: Jan 9, 2019 9:37pm
by Credibility
WAKE UP GUYS
Wake up guys. If you oppose it and an override passes, who will pay for it ? Mostly wage earners whom are mostly male. They will be the ones to pick up the tab. If you believe it's worthwhile and can afford to pay for it for years to come out of your income, vote Yes.
Views: 192   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 8, 2019 12:44pm
by The Outsider
The Truth Really is Stranger Than Fiction
Over the past few days there have been a flood of posts by obvious trolls. They were reported to the admins. Earlier today, posts appeared attributed to the admins saying that the IPs of those trolls had been blocked. After emailing the admins to thank them for...
Views: 115   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 28, 2018 9:53pm
by Unbelievable
Biofreeze
Biofreeze would you like to have an open and public question and answer session on the override.. you say you can afford it and make a front that the rich matter more than we’ll i guess I’m the poor, should my kids be left behind because I’m only ma...
Views: 651   Replies: 21
Last Post: Dec 28, 2018 3:30pm
by Opinion
BIOFREEZE PUBLIC DEBATE
YOU HAVE STATED YOU WOULD ENGAGE IN A PUBLIC DEBATE. THE LIBRAY WOULD BE A GREAT PLACE. WE WILL VIDEO IT, HAVE TH E NEWSPAPERS THERE AND HAVE IT OPEN TO THE COMMUNITY SO WE CAN SHARE DATA AND INFORMATION. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT TIME YOU ARE AVAILABLE AND LETS SEE IF...
Views: 111   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 20, 2018 9:58pm
by VOTE NO
Medical Worries Costs
Why the “One” Melrose folks couldn’t have waited until after the Holidays to begin their campaign is questionable I was an undecided voter but now have made my decision. This Country and City is in such a mess. Couldn’t we have had a break fr...
Views: 200   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 17, 2018 6:38am
by What It Is
Take Off The Blinders
With a stock market tumbling and a Recession predicted, what part of "We Can't Afford It" don't the Yes folks understand ?
Views: 448   Replies: 20
Last Post: Dec 16, 2018 4:43pm
by Mean and Divisiv...
Globe Warning and Weekly News Missed Opportunity
Don't miss major feature on front page of Globe Local section today 12/16 entitled "Worry Mounts Aa Property Taxes Rise" about the impact on senior citizens and those on fixed income. Also, wouldn't it have been interesting if the reporter who wrote the photo/articl...
Views: 117   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 16, 2018 4:32pm
by Facts and Figure...
What happened?
Why was Melrose Messages not working for 3 months?
Views: 517   Replies: 15
Last Post: Dec 15, 2018 5:49pm
by Balance
JMA
Inside the Override spin
The latest installment of "Inside the Override" is the purest example to date of how the administration misrepresents data in the hope the electorate is either too dumb or too busy. This time however they have preceded an irrelevant (albeit true) statistic with a pat...
Views: 121   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 14, 2018 6:39pm
by What It Is
Yes Campaign
I am wondering why my questions and information is being blocked or taken down not only by onemelrose.org but by the Mayors blog. I have no specified my vote because I want more information. No one on the yes side or the Mayor seem to care is just say yes or else. Yo...
Views: 131   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 13, 2018 8:53pm
by worried
Taxes
I still am trying to figure out where the $50 a quarter “trash fee” we pay with our water bills is applied to. Does this money just go into water and sewer account or do the actually take money out and allocate to DPW? Is this used to pay for employees, e...
Views: 232   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 13, 2018 7:57pm
by Spread the Word
Mayor
I recently noticed the Mayor campaigning with the Yes voters for the override.. I’m concerned because I send questions and such and she didn’t respond. I am curious will the mayor hear out the skeptics and answer some questions? Maybe we are not opposed t...
Views: 163   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 13, 2018 7:49pm
by Spread the Word
Biofreeze
Biofreeze would you like to have an open and public question and answer session on the override.. you say you can afford it and make a front that the rich matter more than we’ll i guess I’m the poor, should my kids be left behind because I’m only ma...
Views: 82   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 13, 2018 5:58pm
by Challenge
Tired of the Name Calling
I'm starting to get a little tired of the antics of the "Yes" brigade. For the most part, as soon as they find out someone plans to vote "No", it starts - you don't care about the kids, you're selfish, you're irresponsible, and on and on and on. It sure tells me a lo...
Views: 494   Replies: 22
Last Post: Dec 5, 2018 6:10pm
by Get informed; if...
Departures
The RD and JC story. Exits from City Hall Melrose to Lynnfield and Lincoln Elementary to a Lexington Elementary. Reputations gone. Departures were not just for bigger salaries.
Views: 493   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 1, 2018 1:11am
by Get the facts
Economic Worries
The Stock Market is plummeting again today. Trump’s trade wars will continue to blow things up and increase everyone’s economic uncertainty. Many people are already worried and struggling financially. Trump and his band of idiots in Washington will be re...
Views: 688   Replies: 15
Last Post: Nov 29, 2018 6:12pm
by decor
New Fire Chief
Even though I often disagree with Alderman Forbes, especially on some of the positions he has taken vis-a-vie water and Sewer, he is spot on in decrying the process, or lack of process, culminating in the appointment of the new fire chief. I don't know Captain Col...
Views: 1336   Replies: 26
Last Post: Nov 27, 2018 6:53pm
by where is Dolan
Hypocrites
We stand around and we blast the president for sinking the economy or being this or that but the same liberal agenda wants to increase taxes by 600 bucks a year from a bill passed by a mayor not elected by the people. You blame the president of the issues in the cou...
Views: 209   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 26, 2018 6:19pm
by Annoying
Random Acts of Kindness
I've seen signs and stickers around supporting Melrose Random Acts of Kindness Day. The slogan, we are Kindness Warriors with a picture of a heart with what looks like a v-jay jay inside of it. How much did all this stuff cost and who paid for it? Who designed the...
Views: 315   Replies: 12
Last Post: Nov 26, 2018 6:32pm
by kindness/respect
Alderman
I applaud Monica Medieros for bringing up some very important questions regarding the override. She obviously has put a lot of thought into this and she has a right to her opinion. We voted for her to look out for us and that is exactly what she is doing. PM was...
Views: 168   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 23, 2018 6:07pm
by Vacation
Globe Local Taxes
Today’s Boston Sunday Globe has an article on page 3 of GLOBE LOCAL. It lists numerous tax hikes voters supported in many places. The amounts of what was requested and how much it costs for ratepayers should be compared to what the Illegitimate One and her ba...
Views: 943   Replies: 36
Last Post: Nov 20, 2018 11:19pm
by Discover
Dumb ass city
Why did we just celebrate Diwali as a city event? It’s a Hindu-therefor religious. At a time when Christianity and Judaism is getting kicked out of government all together, it seems it’s okay to make sure other religions are pushed upon us. When has the c...
Views: 529   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 16, 2018 11:05am
by Jesus
Solid Waste tax
Does anyone know exactly what the $50 we are charged with on our outrageous water bill is for? This is additional money we pay for Solid Waste so to me this is a TAX. That is another 200 we pay for in taxes !
Views: 139   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 14, 2018 6:21pm
by Willie
Ballot machines
So I’m 5th in line to put my ballot into the machine and it jams. Three election officials crowd around the machine and open it up and take out up to 10 ballots and put them aside. Then they stand around watching us 5 put our ballots into the machine. It jams...
Views: 254   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 14, 2018 5:59pm
by DEMS
Override Proposal
So according to Infurna, she is requesting a $5.18 million override, with every dime going to the schools. Does anyone NOT realize that it's NOT a $5.18 million override? It's $5.18 million every year forever. You could save almost that much by simply getting...
Views: 331   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 9, 2018 7:54am
by Melrose
Community Conversations
Read in the local newspaper that there will be group discussions on a (Spring 2019) school Override coming soon to the Theatre of The Absurd which Melrose has now become. No, No, No.... Not a cent until Taymore resigns and other City needs are given attention and mon...
Views: 3525   Replies: 80
Last Post: Nov 6, 2018 11:21am
by failing melrose
OVERRIDE SCHEDULED
Specifically, what will this override money be used for?
Views: 598   Replies: 23
Last Post: Nov 5, 2018 8:06pm
by Lincoln school
No override needed
In case you missed the oped in this week's Free Press: In the coming weeks, interim Mayor Gail Infurna and the Board of Aldermen will complete a required cycle toward a fiscal year 2019 operating budget for the city and schools to begin on July 1. The total budget...
Views: 914   Replies: 18
Last Post: Nov 5, 2018 8:12pm
by No Override
Public Safety Building Report
The update Illegitimate Gail released regarding the Public Safety Building Report is a disgrace. Talk about Fake News. One Melrose is nervous because they are realizing that voters care about more than the MPS.
Views: 519   Replies: 15
Last Post: Nov 4, 2018 10:50pm
by Obviously
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10