Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
G.I.C. Insurance & other issues
1. Alderman at Large Margolis is reported NOT currently enrolled in the Melrose G.I.C. health insurance, but was she at one time? If she was enrolled, did she recieve the $6,000.00 opt out payment (offered to city employees) for enrolling in a private plan? 2. The...
Views: 425   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 22, 2015 11:51am
by Answer
My eyes..
The sight of MBMM walking around downtown in yoga pants has permanently scarred me!
Views: 292   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 21, 2015 7:28pm
by Curious George
Where Does Each Candidate for Alderman Stand on the Override?
Does anyone have a list of where each candidate for alderman running in this November's election stands on the override? Information on the school committee contestants would be appreciated too. I posted on the school committee board already but if anyone knows,...
Views: 237   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 21, 2015 9:38am
by I Want to Be an ...
LWV Botches Candidate "Debate"
Last night's so-called Candidate Debate of aldermen and school committee candidates was an unprofessional display of the local League, starting with the fact that they couldn't find (by their own admission) an appropriately unbiased and competent team to run it. They...
Views: 471   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 17, 2015 7:53pm
by Resident
J.D. & Common Core
I was asked to sign a paper at a mall to put the repeal of Common Core on the ballot. I am very much in favor of this - anyone with kids in the schools is aware of the disaster that Common Core has created of homework time alone. Math problems are being completed in...
Views: 456   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 8, 2015 7:29pm
by gak
Melrose's Own Circle of Hell
from a recent article about gun tragedies: "Dante said there is a special place in Hell reserved for those who do nothing in a time of moral crisis. Edmund Burke said all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. We have men and women...
Views: 597   Replies: 13
Last Post: Oct 6, 2015 9:21pm
by Real Facts
Mayor Richard D. Lyons Memorial Tennis Courts
Can someone tell why the tennis courts are named after Richard Lyons? I looked him up - he was mayor from 1992-1997. Was he a famous tennis player? Did he donate money to build them originally? Or is it just because he was a mayor who died?
Views: 1075   Replies: 32
Last Post: Oct 4, 2015 1:49pm
by Geezer
Phony Baloney
Melrose Weekly News....Tramontozzi's law firm gives the MEF a $1k donation....how generous....how wonderful...! JT is a phony and a thug to pose with his law partner and the MEF visionaries! If he has the money to give the MEF, why is he ripping off the rest of...
Views: 314   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 3, 2015 7:47am
by Curious George
MBMM Out?
Overheard at the Fair. MBMM has the first flight booked out of Boston 11/4 to her house in Florida expecting to lose on Election Day. Her illegal alien slave maids have two weeks off. She's spending her final months as alderman trying to get her loser daughter a j...
Views: 338   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 2, 2015 8:57pm
by out with MBMM
Ward 5
Interesting article on the front page of Free Press regarding the Ward 5 BOA race. Gail I should be very worried. I hope Anthony F indeed does "shake things up" and wins. He has my vote.
Views: 421   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 27, 2015 11:17am
by BFFs
Disbarred Attorney is Running Again
Once a thief always a thief. Since we have so many new readers of this board (google analytics is a useful tool allowing me to see the increase in IP addresses of unique viewers of this site which has increase 26 percent in less than 4 days) I feel compelled to give...
Views: 305   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 25, 2015 2:43pm
by In the bag
False Twitter Account Info Removed
I was informed that there was a string called "Election" with a false Twitter account disparaging Alderman Marybeth McAteer Margolis. It has been removed.
Views: 287   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 21, 2015 12:09pm
by patricia wright
LWV FORUMS
Does anyone know if the Melrose League of Women Voters are sponsoring Voter Education Forums during this election cycle? Where/When? Melrose needs to have three....one for SC, another for the contested BOA seats and an Override Debate. I urge the local LWV to spons...
Views: 238   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 21, 2015 11:27am
by Legitimate Debat...
Better Choice for Mayor
I am all in for a write-in mayoral campaign, but my choice will be Don Conn who I will also be supporting as Alderman-at Large. I will support Monica for the aldermanic race but feel Don has far more experience in municipal budgets. We need a mature leader who know...
Views: 382   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 20, 2015 11:51am
by Great candidate ...
Write in campaign
Since the mayor is unopposed in the upcoming election and given the OCR finding, I cannot stomach Dolan feeling that he is loved by all because he is running unopposed for Mayor. He seemed awfully lonely there at his spot at the fair. No one even went up to talk to h...
Views: 254   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 16, 2015 10:37am
by Cal
Water Main Flushing
Each year the advance notice about this program gets more and more mysterious. Great job City Hall, Lazy Alderman and the perpetual lunch eaters public works! GREAT job!
Views: 282   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 12, 2015 11:42am
by MFD
Hospital Trees
Why did they cut down all the trees at the hospital?! Over 25 trees removed. We need them to breathe, duh. Does anybody limit tree removal, or does each property owner just get to do what they want? So much development is really having an impact, but boy is it notice...
Views: 385   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 11, 2015 1:28pm
by 9
Nervous Nellies
The Pro-Override group is getting nervous. The Free Press published a letter today by Jen, Martha and company which most people won't buy. The majority of voters can't and/or won't support increasing their taxes. The distrust in government and how they spend our mon...
Views: 478   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 11, 2015 9:16am
by Help!
BOA Race
I read that Don Conn pulled papers to run again for the BOA. So, 5 people for 4 spots at this time....Conn, Mederios and JD will win handily......leaving the last spot for Zwirko or MBMM (unless someone else decides to go for it).....
Views: 387   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 6, 2015 7:14pm
by MFD
"Predatory Politician" rattles Dolan's cage
Interestingly enough, it appears as though the letter in the free Melrose paper that refers to Mayor Dolan as a predatory politician has hit a nerve. A supporter of Dolan posted on facebook on the Melrose Community page whining about the letter writer being out of l...
Views: 266   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 5, 2015 8:29pm
by sad
Time for BOA to Step Up in Wake of Feds Finding Melrose Schools Guilty of Violating Civil Rights
With the bombshell just "released" (below, from the other string, published by Evening News, front page this week) by Superintendent Cyndy Taymore, it's time for the entire city to address the management (or lack thereof) of its school system. Lest anyone still have...
Views: 282   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 5, 2015 9:19am
by Senior
Deleted Mad Cyclist String
I've gotten a lot of emails to delete that string copied from FaceBook where people's comments and names were reposted on this board. I deleted it because I believe in the sanctity of anonymity on THIS board. Those folks didn't ask to have their comments posted on...
Views: 219   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 3, 2015 10:34pm
by MFD
Tramontozzi's Highlands Fiasco
http://melrose.wickedlocal.com/article/20150828/NEWS/150827040/11473/NEWS The newspaper reported on the Highlands Fiasco. Traffic now flows worse than it did before spending a million dollars. Also, it's less safe for bikes pedestrians and cars. Some gems from...
Views: 567   Replies: 17
Last Post: Sep 3, 2015 3:51pm
by Clown Patrol Kil...
TAXPAYERS ORGANIZING
(FROM LOCAL PRESS) Taxpayers’ Alliance Forms to Fight Override A group of Melrose taxpayers has formed an official committee to fight the mayor’s proposed $2.25 million Proposition 2½ override initiative on the ballot this November. The gro...
Views: 384   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 1, 2015 8:47am
by MFD
Melrose DPW Truck Hit Boy on Bike on W Emerson, Where is Police Report or Newspaper Coverage?
Last week there was a very serious accident on West Emerson during the day in which a city dump truck hit a boy (supposedly a Melrose High School student) on a bike. The boy was apparently critically injured, rushed to Mass General and transferred to Children's. Appa...
Views: 1066   Replies: 32
Last Post: Aug 30, 2015 2:51pm
by So wrong
Override Defeat
The stock market went down one thousand points this week. 401Ks took a hit. Interest rates are going up next month. The ant-government and ant-tax movements have nationwide support from democrats, independents and republicans. This does not bode well for passage of...
Views: 359   Replies: 9
Last Post: Aug 23, 2015 3:22pm
by pay day for hack...
LaRock Runs for Alderman at Large!
I’m thrilled to read that J.D. Larock has pulled papers for Alderman at large. Here is a man that will not be bought with quid pro quo’s from Dolan, and hopefully Monica will finally have an ally who will support her agenda for transparency and change....
Views: 701   Replies: 15
Last Post: Aug 22, 2015 8:22pm
by Water
MFD
Melrose Rated #1 at Realtor.com for the Hotest Zip Code in America
Did you read in today's Boston Globe that Melrose is now rated #1 in the top 10 communities as the hotest zip codes in America? Yes - you heard it! This is from Realtor.con data based on how fast houses are sold and how frequently listing are viewed. It is interes...
Views: 1167   Replies: 38
Last Post: Aug 22, 2015 1:16pm
by sad
ANOTHER OVERRIDE REJECTED
From Free Press blog (08/4) Weymouth voters rejected an operational override of Proposition 2 1/2 Tuesday, failing the measure by over 1600 votes. Turnout for the override vote was 34 percent, far lower than estimates of a 60 percent turnout earlier this week. In...
Views: 644   Replies: 17
Last Post: Aug 20, 2015 10:58am
by Old Timer
BOA Candidates
Sad to see JLB not running for BOA...Conn hasn't declared yet. JD should easily be elected, MM and Conn (if he chooses to run) will be top vote getters....repeat of last time... Then Last place for MBMM or MZ .... Hope Margolis loses....GI and JT have opposition...wo...
Views: 223   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 14, 2015 9:25pm
by In The Know
MFD
Massachusetts to be the First Sanctuary State?
Although this may not be an immediate city issue, however,if passed, it certainly will financially affects us all. If you can believe it, Democrat Rep. Byron Rushing from Boston, just introduced a bill which would make Massachusetts the first sanctuary state in the n...
Views: 167   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 14, 2015 8:50am
by MFD
Donald Trump's Pigs
The insiders club is having some big meetings this week trying to put out their latest hit on Monica with claims she's having non-BOA members write her motions for her to deliver like a puppet. Mary Beth's idea is to push that Monica still lives with her parents (co...
Views: 493   Replies: 11
Last Post: Aug 12, 2015 10:52pm
by In The Know
Cemetery
RVC and Peter P just hired Everett friend to replace the just terminated Mike Hughes as head of Wyoming. What's the story? MH is RD's Godfather and RL's predecessor as the Mayoral Chief of Staff.
Views: 321   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 11, 2015 1:26pm
by Horace
Raise the limit on the city credit card
Presented without comment: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-07/here-comes-next-crisis-nobody-saw-coming
Views: 167   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 8, 2015 11:38am
by nathan
Parking Bond
Front page of Free Press quotes MBMM being worried about "the costly undertaking" of another taxpayer bond. "Thorough consideration" was never done when GIC was appropriated in secret for BOA members. She must be getting worried that MZ will beat her this time and...
Views: 276   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 6, 2015 12:53pm
by Defeat MBMM
Alderman against being Informed
Sounded as if one alderman voted against the motion at the meeting the other night to have documents available for the board. Was it Margolis who voted against it?
Views: 400   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 1, 2015 8:15am
by Beagle
Open question for Rob Dolan
Rob, did you REALLY mean it when the Herald quoted you as saying that the "best way" for Boston 2024 to get information about the "benefits" of the Olympic Games being held in Boston was through "local mayors and selectmen"? Unlike a lot of folks on this site, I'v...
Views: 472   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 29, 2015 8:44am
by years ago
RD & Co. v. Melrose Messages
Why is it, do you think, that RD and his flunkies expend so much time and effort trying to marginalize this site? It worked for a while, but methinks that party is just about over.
Views: 1355   Replies: 28
Last Post: Jul 26, 2015 9:24am
by Precisely
Send this Override Overboard!
There is power in numbers. A group of citizens agreeing to run as a slate for both boards, giving each other the strength and wisdom base (since there is a steep learning curve), would begin to fix things. Melrose does not need more of the current batch of clones....
Views: 1201   Replies: 31
Last Post: Jul 21, 2015 2:15pm
by bad deal
BOA Election
Has anyone heard who has pulled papers in the BOA race? Hopefully, all candidates will have opposition in order to have a debate about the numerous and complicated issues currently facing Melrose. And hopefully we can get some new energy and perspectives.
Views: 526   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 15, 2015 9:53pm
by Correction
Override Dispute Between Conn and Van Campen
Just watched the aldermen meeting when they put the override question on the ballot. Don Conn said the $2,250,000 override would increase taxes by an increasing amount of 2 1/2% each year over the prior ones. He said a general levy override adds to the general lev...
Views: 458   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jul 14, 2015 7:05am
by Public Safety
Lawsuit
I am beginning to wonder how and why, every time someone comments about a lawsuit by a veteran police officer against a police Sgt and Lt, the comment disappears from this site. Very strange.....or perhaps not.
Views: 533   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 1, 2015 10:32pm
by Oops!
June 22 BOA Meeting, Approval of School Budget, Dysfunction Exemplified
Dysfunction in Action, starting with MD's bloviation, CT's hostile non-answers, MBMM inanities, PM's laughable officiousness, JP's total incompetence, PdR slimy nonanswers....
Views: 386   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 28, 2015 7:53am
by MFD
NO
No Respect or Trust
We will not vote for any BOA member who accepts GIC. We will not vote for any candidate who supports the OVERRIDE. We will not vote for any SC person running for reelection. We don't respect the games and power plays on our local boards. We don't trust the opinions...
Views: 859   Replies: 25
Last Post: Jun 19, 2015 5:53pm
by No reason to tru...
Tonight BOA vote to Place General Override Question on the November 3, 2015 Biennial Election Ballot
Appropriations Committee Committee Meeting 6/18/2015 7:45 PM Aldermanic Chamber City Hall, 1st Floor 562 Main Street Melrose, MA 02176 Downloads: Agenda Agenda Packet Split View Split View I. Call to Order 1. Roll Call II. Public Participation III....
Views: 269   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 18, 2015 4:25pm
by Another Concerne...
Watch these Outrageous Displays of Administrative Contempt
What happened in Tuesday night's meeting should be a wake-up call for the entire community. It was a call to action. It demonstrates in a nutshell the best and the very worst of Melrose. The students and community members who spoke showed us the very very best. The c...
Views: 470   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jun 14, 2015 1:30pm
by Geezer
Mike Zwirko
I just read Mike Zwirko's formal announcement for a BOA Seat in the Melrose Weekly News. His statement emphasizes his strong support for the override. Not surprising. The "new voice and new perspective" claim seems to be just another example of a "Quid Pro Quo" de...
Views: 1062   Replies: 20
Last Post: Jun 10, 2015 12:11pm
by Not in Melrose
BOA/CEO/DPW head Make a Mockery of Public Process
Watched just enough of last night's BOA meeting last night that made breakfast barely tolerable. The three stooges (JS, PDR, and the Water/Sewer Consultant) sat up there mouthing off their self-righteous nonsense re: justifying the horrible tiered water system. Their...
Views: 415   Replies: 15
Last Post: Jun 8, 2015 9:35pm
by Mayoral Candidat...
Mortimer Bad Conduct
Watched last night's BOA meeting. PM behaved terribly, right down there with the routine bad conduct of KT, MD, RD, CC, etc. He tried to refuse Public Participation to GMroz even though the item was clearly on the agenda and they even had a posted letter from the MEF...
Views: 532   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jun 2, 2015 9:03pm
by CHESTY PULLER
Eliminating GIC
While commuting home tonight, I heard on WBZ radio that the Town of Bedford is putting eliminating GIC for their Board of Selectmen to a town meeting vote in September. Interesting interview with 2 Selectmen who said neither they or their colleagues deserve taxpayer...
Views: 679   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jun 2, 2015 8:36pm
by PT
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12